Technical 2005 Fiat DUCATO Mc Louis Motorhome. red engine light coming on at hi revs

Currently reading:
Technical 2005 Fiat DUCATO Mc Louis Motorhome. red engine light coming on at hi revs

Fisherprice

I have just done a 450mile trip to Scotland in my 2005 Fiat DUCATO Mc Louis Motorhome.
I was towing a small fishing boat.
On a few occasions I noticed that the red engine light was coming on and I realised after it occurred a few times it was happening when I was over 3000 RPM, as soon as the revs dropped the light went out. I thought it may be a blocked DPF but I’ve been told it hasn’t got one.
Has anybody got any ideas please
Regards Fisherprice

The warning lights are colour-coded.
Green - information, indicators, etc.
Amber - warning, do something soon, e.g rear fog light, engine management light.
Red - do something now, if not sooner. Battery charging, oil pressure, etc.

What is the red engine light? Is this like the amber engine shape, or something different? Do you mean the oil pressure warning, little oil can? If so, that coming on under load would suggest low oil level, or oil diluted with fuel.

The warning lights are colour-coded.
Green - information, indicators, etc.
Amber - warning, do something soon, e.g rear fog light, engine management light.
Red - do something now, if not sooner. Battery charging, oil pressure, etc.

What is the red engine light? Is this like the amber engine shape, or something different? Do you mean the oil pressure warning, little oil can? If so, that coming on under load would suggest low oil level, or oil diluted with fuel.
The red light shows an engine. When I ease back on the accelerator it goes out.
I have just ordered a new air filter in case there is an air supply problem

The engine is 2.8 turbo but I’ve never felt any sort of turbo acceleration when it should kick in, I presumed that this was hidden by the weight of the vehicle
Please note that vehicle details are specifically requested in the welcome post which is a sticky at the top of the Ducato section. Failure to supply these details results in only general advice.

With registration year of 2005, can only sensibly be a 2.8jtd, but could have been 2.0jtd, or 2.3jtd. Another factor is the presence or abscence of EGR, which was one of the options on the 2.8jtd.

My initial thoughts were sticking wastegate on 2.8jtd, but turbo controls on 2.0jtd, and 2.3jtd are different.,

On the 2.8jtd the boost pressure control via the turbo wastgate is a simple maximum pressure limiter which opens the wastegate to limit the tubo output pressure, which would otherwise be exceeded at high rpm.

The pressure in the inlet manifold is monitored by the absolute pressure sensor, which will raise an alarm via the ECU, if the maximum boost pressure is exceeded. On non EGR 2.8jtd engines the output of this sensor is used to control the amount of fuel injected,

Access to the wastgate on the 2.8jtd, is not easy. Please see my attached photo, which shows the location, but is viewing the wastgate operating lever almost end on.

In view of the fact that your motorhome was towing a boat, then perhaps you should check that the GTW of the combination does not exceed the that on the VIN plate.

Attachments

• Turbo + Crank & Speed Sensors (T).jpg
    Turbo + Crank & Speed Sensors (T).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Please note that vehicle details are specifically requested in the welcome post which is a sticky at the top of the Ducato section. Failure to supply these details results in only general advice.

With registration year of 2005, can only sensibly be a 2.8jtd, but could have been 2.0jtd, or 2.3jtd. Another factor is the presence or abscence of EGR, which was one of the options on the 2.8jtd.

My initial thoughts were sticking wastegate on 2.8jtd, but turbo controls on 2.0jtd, and 2.3jtd are different.,

On the 2.8jtd the boost pressure control via the turbo wastgate is a simple maximum pressure limiter which opens the wastegate to limit the tubo output pressure, which would otherwise be exceeded at high rpm.

The pressure in the inlet manifold is monitored by the absolute pressure sensor, which will raise an alarm via the ECU, if the maximum boost pressure is exceeded. On non EGR 2.8jtd engines the output of this sensor is used to control the amount of fuel injected,

Access to the wastgate on the 2.8jtd, is not easy. Please see my attached photo, which shows the location, but is viewing the wastgate operating lever almost end on.

In view of the fact that your motorhome was towing a boat, then perhaps you should check that the GTW of the combination does not exceed the that on the VIN plate.

Hi Communicator
Thanks for the great reply, sorry for the lack of initial information I’ve tried to go back and add it but I’m struggling.
Your diagnosis ticks all the boxes that I have now added together and checking the turbo actuator lever at 2500 RPM shows no movement. I’m sure as you suggest that the waste gate is stuck open and not allowing the turbo to feed the engine the higher pressure required. This backs up the lack of power that I would have expected from a 2800cc engine and no turbo surge when it kicks in.
The engine warning light is warning of a leaking pipe or turbo malfunction
I’ve booked it in the local garage to be free’d off.
Who knows I should be able to drive home in 5th.
Thanks for you help
Fisherprice

Hi,
Don't get too excited about power ......waste gate lever stuck closed =more than the maximum programmed boost = engine light. That's if it's waste gate issue.

Best wishes
Jack

Hi Communicator
Thanks for the great reply, sorry for the lack of initial information I’ve tried to go back and add it but I’m struggling.
Your diagnosis ticks all the boxes that I have now added together and checking the turbo actuator lever at 2500 RPM shows no movement. I’m sure as you suggest that the waste gate is stuck open and not allowing the turbo to feed the engine the higher pressure required. This backs up the lack of power that I would have expected from a 2800cc engine and no turbo surge when it kicks in.
The engine warning light is warning of a leaking pipe or turbo malfunction
I’ve booked it in the local garage to be free’d off.
Who knows I should be able to drive home in 5th.
Thanks for you help
Fisherprice

Sorry no! I was thinking of too high a pressure over 3000rpm. Wastgate failing to open and bypass turbine, will result in over, not under pressure, this over pressure will be seen by the absolute pressure sensor on the manifold, and the ECU will illuminate the warning light. Probably store a fault code as well.
Reading any stored code should confirm or negate this. Also I do not know how the ECU will react to excess boost pressure. It could reduce amount of fuel injected, so power would reduce.

The fifth gear on the x244 is a large shift up from fourth. There was an option of a lower ratio, possibly aimed at large motorhomes. I have very recently read a description of the box as a six speed with fifth missing. You need to be over 50mph before engaging fifth. This gear is an add on, splash lubricated from the main box, and prone to failure. I follow the advice of not engaging fifth for the first mile, particularly if the vehicle has been laid up.

Sorry no! I was thinking of too high a pressure over 3000rpm. Wastgate failing to open and bypass turbine, will result in over, not under pressure, this over pressure will be seen by the absolute pressure sensor on the manifold, and the ECU will illuminate the warning light. Probably store a fault code as well.
Reading any stored code should confirm or negate this. Also I do not know how the ECU will react to excess boost pressure. It could reduce amount of fuel injected, so power would reduce.

The fifth gear on the x244 is a large shift up from fourth. There was an option of a lower ratio, possibly aimed at large motorhomes. I have very recently read a description of the box as a six speed with fifth missing. You need to be over 50mph before engaging fifth. This gear is an add on, splash lubricated from the main box, and prone to failure. I follow the advice of not engaging fifth for the first mile, particularly if the vehicle has been laid up.
Good point! I’ll definitely bear that in mind and one way or the other I should get more fuel efficiency

Back