2004 punto non start

Currently reading:
2004 punto non start

Ellajane

Hi guys,

New to this forum and owning a fiat and need some advise.
I recently made a hasty purchase from EBay without reading the description fully......stupid I know but it was cheap! The car is a 2004 Punto, 1.2 active.
Basically the car won't start, code light flashes when engine turned over, the car only has one key, I have seen a couple of options on eBay for changing the ECUs and locks or sending away the immobiliser to have it recoded and 2 new keys supplied. The first option the seller said that changing the ECUs may cause the dash to fault?
Today I removed the immobiliser unit which I think is also the body computer this has been off before a its covered in dirty finger prints which worries me, also I looked at the engine ECU and this has also been off.
So I don't know wether it's best to buy the full set of parts from eBay and replace them all.

Any advise would be very appreciated

Cheers

1 key and no red one:eek:,that may well work out an expensive mistake:cry:i feel sorry for you,hopefully others may have better news fingers crossed.

1 key and no red one:eek:,that may well work out an expensive mistake:cry:i feel sorry for you,hopefully others may have better news fingers crossed.

erm 2004...... no red key availible to start with

From 1999 with the Mk2 punto to the end of the mk2b in 2006
They used the fiat Key code 2 system
so there are 2 blue keys - and NO red master key

Anyway
the Car comes coded with the fusebox(immbo part) the Engine ECU and the body system

These 3 can NOT be parted
ie you cant just fit another engine ecu - as the key code light comes on as they all say the code is wrong

If you put a 2nd hand system in - either get 1 with a Dash pod thats linked
or pay to have the dash proxy aligned

Proxy alignment will stop it flashing
but note
The clocks can ONLY be brought forward ie increase millage
But cant go backwards

So idearly you need a ECU set with Less miles then yours - so the system can be put to the dash's total milage

Dont forget a petrol cap - airbag switch - and all the boot/door locks and ignition barrell

Ziggy

Hi Ziggy

so I would also need to replace the fuse box, I have separated the Ecu from it. Also the proxy alignment, is this a dealer only fix? What problems will it cause if it doesn't get done, would it also stop the car from starting as at the moment it flashes all the time with the ignition turned on? So maybe the immobiliser and engine control have already been changed?

Cheers

i would be ascertaining the reason bsi was swapped prior to selling it to you before buying more components
ie is engine good or is the immobilisor issue a screen to hide a duff donkey

That may be the case, but until I get the coding sorted that won't become apparent.

Hi Ziggy

so I would also need to replace the fuse box, I have separated the Ecu from it. Also the proxy alignment, is this a dealer only fix? What problems will it cause if it doesn't get done, would it also stop the car from starting as at the moment it flashes all the time with the ignition turned on? So maybe the immobiliser and engine control have already been changed?

Cheers

Yes flashing dash means either the Body setup has been changed?
Or the dash has been replaced or along those lines

Anyway - the Dash flashing = Proxy alignment needed
Which could prove painful - IF the body system has been messed with....

Ziggy

All,
Took the engine Ecu, body computer and dash board to a guy in Newcastle who code keys etc from his living room. He supplied 2 new keys and coded all the units together plus provided a new immobiliser chip for the body computer as someone had fooked it before all for £80. Plugged back into the car and tried, started first crack of the key!
Thanks for all your help

Ej

Back