Technical 2004 ducato 2.0 jtd lack of power

Currently reading:
Technical 2004 ducato 2.0 jtd lack of power

kempy1

Hi, new to the forum. I have had a search through the threads but cant seem to find any solutions to my problem.
I have a Ducato 2.0 JTD 2004. The engine has had a loss of power. it wont rev above 4k in neutral and is lucky to get above 3 through the gears. struggle to get to 50 mph. It is almost as if the turbo is not kicking in. The problem seems to be getting worse as only seemed to be an issue in 4th and 5th. I have run a diagnostic check through MES but have no faults coming up. Im at a loss and dont want to throw money at part after part until i find the problem. i have checked wastegate spindle, fuel pressure matches desired pressure, and have changed fuel filter, air filter etc.
Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Stuart

Try unplugging the MAF sensor and then taking it for a run and see if it boosts then, it will probably put the engine light on so will need resetting after

It could be Throttle/EGR issues.

Plug in to OBD and look what codes come up. I think it’s P0638 throttle and P0403 EGR.

There are a thousands reasons for lack of power but your symptoms sound similar to ones I’ve experienced in the past.

sorry i forgot to say that i tried the MAF sensor and it ran worse.
I also removed the EGR valve and checked it was moving. I dont have fault codes coming up which is the annoying thing. Also cannot find any evidence of a boost leak anywhere. I think there is a CAT in the exhaust system which seems to be very noisy not sure if this could be related?

so tried the maf sensor unplugging again and definately runs worse with it unplugged and kicks out black smoke. also unplugged the sensors under the plastic cover which rasn bad too. does anybody know the location of the boost pressure sensor. while driving around the MES is giving no change to the boost pressure reading.

Check the anti shudder butterfly valve in inlet air tract is fully opening

yes i also checked that. that is moving freely. Its seemed to of got even worse now and struggles to get to 3k. but when idling it sounds fine. no misfire or anything to suggest that it would be fuel related. :cry: think i may just have to get the yurbo off and investigate the induction system.

so tried the maf sensor unplugging again and definately runs worse with it unplugged and kicks out black smoke. also unplugged the sensors under the plastic cover which rasn bad too. does anybody know the location of the boost pressure sensor. while driving around the MES is giving no change to the boost pressure reading.
On my 2.8jtd the "absolute pressure / temperature sensor is mounted on the inlet manifold. Seems logical, but on the 2.0Jtd I have found several references in eLearn, to the pressure sensor being situated between the turbo and the intercooler inlet.

eLearn - Contents

INTAKE MANIFOLD PRESSURE SENSOR​

Function​

The sensor is used to determine air pressure in the intake manifold. According to the information received, the engine control unit:

• modulates turbo pressure;
  • modulates fuel pressure;
  • regulates fuel flow.

Description​

The sensor is connected to the intake air circuit at the level of the air/air heat exchanger.
It is piezoelectric type and supplies a voltage proportional to air pressure in the intake manifold.

yes i also checked that. that is moving freely. Its seemed to of got even worse now and struggles to get to 3k. but when idling it sounds fine. no misfire or anything to suggest that it would be fuel related. :cry: think i may just have to get the yurbo off and investigate the induction system.

Is it fully open when engine running?

The symptoms you’ve mentioned sound very similar to the issues I was having with my van.

There is a small hole on the passenger side on the tray at the bottom of the windscreen allowing water to drip onto the wires below. Wires that I traced to the throttle body and the EGR solenoid.

F11 fuse had blown which controls “secondary systems” which I’m sure you’re aware, includes the throttle and so on…

Under the fuse box was a black and blue plug socket and when I opened it up it was literally green inside with corrosion. The drip was landing on the wires and dribbling into the connection. I cleaned it up and the engine revved up to 4k rpm no issues.

Put it back together and touch wood, it hasn’t returned.

IMG_2835.jpeg

The symptoms you’ve mentioned sound very similar to the issues I was having with my van.

There is a small hole on the passenger side on the tray at the bottom of the windscreen allowing water to drip onto the wires below. Wires that I traced to the throttle body and the EGR solenoid.

F11 fuse had blown which controls “secondary systems” which I’m sure you’re aware, includes the throttle and so on…

Under the fuse box was a black and blue plug socket and when I opened it up it was literally green inside with corrosion. The drip was landing on the wires and dribbling into the connection. I cleaned it up and the engine revved up to 4k rpm no issues.

Put it back together and touch wood, it hasn’t returned.
Ok thanks. I will check this tomorrow if i get time. Where you getting fault codes? I am showing no fault codes so making this a pain to diagnose.

Removed the turbo and that was completely fine. So refitted turbo and removed cat. Unplugged and checked all the connectors. With the cat removed the engine revs right up again now through 4k. So I bolted the cat back on loose but it's blowing a bit bit seems to run OK.
Any advice on wether I should just get a middle pipe and do away with the catalytic convertor???

Removed the turbo and that was completely fine. So refitted turbo and removed cat. Unplugged and checked all the connectors. With the cat removed the engine revs right up again now through 4k. So I bolted the cat back on loose but it's blowing a bit bit seems to run OK.
Any advice on wether I should just get a middle pipe and do away with the catalytic convertor???

That’s what I would do haha :)

Hi, new to the forum. I have had a search through the threads but cant seem to find any solutions to my problem.
I have a Ducato 2.0 JTD 2004. The engine has had a loss of power. it wont rev above 4k in neutral and is lucky to get above 3 through the gears. struggle to get to 50 mph. It is almost as if the turbo is not kicking in. The problem seems to be getting worse as only seemed to be an issue in 4th and 5th. I have run a diagnostic check through MES but have no faults coming up. Im at a loss and dont want to throw money at part after part until i find the problem. i have checked wastegate spindle, fuel pressure matches desired pressure, and have changed fuel filter, air filter etc.
Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks
Stuart
It’s possible you have a collapsed catalytic converter or a blocked/squashed exhaust.

Back