Technical 2004 1.2 punto overheating HELP

Currently reading:
Technical 2004 1.2 punto overheating HELP

romans5v6

My son has a 2004 1.2 8v punto with 24000 miles on the clock, it has had the casket changed, a new thermostat , a new water pump, radiator power flushed and it has been checked for airlocks and it still is overheating when you drive it. My mechanic is beat, he just doesnt know what it could be. it will idle for a hour no problem fan kicks in so it fine ,but as soon as you drive it the temp goes sky high. ANY IDEAS PLEASE car has been off the road for 2 weeks my son going nuts. H E L P.

Remove the thermostat and run the engine . Can the thermostat be fitted the wrong way round?

Last edited:
That makes no sense at all, if it idles fine it should drive fine, more cold air hitting it when driving.
Its obviously something that happens when the revs are up then, try idling it with the revs at around 3k and see if it starts to overheat then. If it does it'l be linked to the revs in someway but never known that before.

Head gasket was put on the right way round?? Can only be something within the engine.
Do a compression test and see if you are getting oil into the cam is all I can suggest. If the head gasket was put on the wrong way round it blocks the holes the oil and coolant move through. So remove the rocker cover and start the car, see if you are getting oil into there.

A compression test will show if there is a combustion leak into the oil or coolant to make it overheat aswell. Did the head gasket actually go for it to be replaced? If so and it was left to overheat too much you could have all sorts of damage within the engine

Thanks for all suggestions, going to get a pressure test done on the head see what that turns up. Ta

Back