Technical 2001 Punto Problem

Currently reading:
Technical 2001 Punto Problem

garyfry

Could anyone help me please ??
I've just bought my daughter a 2001 Y reg Punto and within a week of getting it its idling very eraticly, sounds like its missing or firing on three cylinders when ticking over and pumping out a lot of white smoke which smells like a firework has been let off.
Any clues please?

Throwing white smoke sounds like headgasket, that would explain the miss-fire on one cylinder.

If water is getting into a cylinder, it wont fire and will throw the water out as steam!

what model is it and where you from?????

midland fiat said:
Throwing white smoke sounds like headgasket, that would explain the miss-fire on one cylinder.

If water is getting into a cylinder, it wont fire and will throw the water out as steam!

what model is it and where you from?????

Not sure I've replied in the correct way, but its a 1.2 2001 Mia, if that answers the question. Many thanks for your help; I did take out a warranty with the car so hopefully they should resolve it for me. Its nice to know what it might be just in case they start giving me a load of bull. If the info I've given is not sufficient just shout and I will provide whatever you need.
I'm in North West London, near Uxbridge.

thefishdude said:
yeah white smoke is classic blown headgasket problem and would explain the missfire aswell. check teh coolant see if its gone down.

Thank you both very much for your reply. If the warranty I have doesnt cover a the head gasket, what is the likely cost to supply and fit going to be, any idea ?

no no no dont think like that!!!!

Regardless of any waranty, the seller is 100% liable (statutory rights).

No way should it develop a fault that quick, if you read any doc a warranty is in addition to the sellers leagal obligations!

That wouldnt comply with the sale of goods act whatsoever!

Get it done, make a stand DONT pay.

(and thats coming from someone who would charge 250 to do the job PROPERLY. Its unfair if you have just bought it.)

If the buggers show you it isnt covered insert the warranty doc somewhere for him and make him understand he is leagaly obliged to get it sorted, and make sure its a proper job, ask for old gasket and bolts back, make sure anti freeze plugs and oil are done, dont get messed about!

I should add its not there fault so to speak but they are liable, one of the bonuses of buying from trade

They wouldnt have known the gasket was going to let rip. Its not something that can be forseen.

But still make em pay!:devil:

thefishdude said:
would think £200 ish for repair. but they wil be liable head gaskets normally covered. make sure you get a head skin in teh repair at same tim or it coudl happen again.

Many thanks Gents, very kind. Am I to assume that the MidlandFiat user is in fact a main Fiat dealer ? Would having the head skimmed be a normal thing to do also ? Also my daughter tells me that she is now not getting any warm air blowing through the car; is that another clue to it being the head gasket ?

No im "independant" nothing to do with any dealers, hence my prices.

Yep cold heaters is another sure sign.

Try not to use the car too much, hot/cold spots in the engine from air locks will create long term damage.

Yep defintly skim it, pressure test etc.

midland fiat said:
No im "independant" nothing to do with any dealers, hence my prices.

Yep cold heaters is another sure sign.

Try not to use the car too much, hot/cold spots in the engine from air locks will create long term damage.

Yep defintly skim it, pressure test etc.

Many thanks again, youre a great help. Not sure that they will stand for the head being skimmed and pressure testing etc. If, and lets hope its a big if, they wont cover it, is there anyone you could recommend in London to get it done; I'm near Uxbridge Middlesex, Harrow, Wembley way.

Nope they have to do it.

I can understand if you dont want the bother tho.

It must be skimmed and tested, MUST.

I carnt really recommend anywhere, sure some other forum members may be able to!

midland fiat said:
Nope they have to do it.

I can understand if you dont want the bother tho.

It must be skimmed and tested, MUST.

I carnt really recommend anywhere, sure some other forum members may be able to!

Thanks so much for your help. Its not that I dont want the bother, its what lengths they will go to. I will call them in the morning and see what they say. I will let you know, might even need a bit more advise.
Thanks again.

midland fiat said:
no probs.

Pm me if you need anything, your welcome to call me for any advice!

Thats kind of you, have you got the number.
Just looked in warranty book and it says "Only the following listed parts are covered by this policy" then it states several major parts then says "Cooling System" - "Water pump, head gasket, thermostat, heater matrix, electric fan
motor, viscous fan coupling, radiator, air con pump" so looks like all should be well.
Thank you.

doesnt matter what the warranty covers tho, its in addition to your basic rights and it isnt, so if the warranty company wont pay the seller will have to.

Ill pm you my number!

Carl, just to let you know; I called the warranty company this morning and they gave me the number for one of their repair agents in my area. They are mobile guys and came round very quickly. They said it might need a chemical test and if so I would have to pay for that, but I think it soon became evident to them that the head gasket had gone. I asked that as part of the replacement procedure would they be skimming the head; which they said they would although the cost for that was down to me - approx £40-60. I will also ask that they pressure test it and no doubt that cost will be down to me too. They are going to collect the car on Wednesday mid morning and say that they should have it back to me early next week, Monday / Tuesday.
I have also spoken with the dealer who sold me the car and told him that I could be in for some additional costs ie skim, pressure test and no doubt another oil change (I guess the oil will have to be changed) and he asked me to keep him informed; it sounds like he might make a contribution also....lets see.
Thanks for your help.
Gary

Back