Technical 2001 Ducatto gearbox issue

Currently reading:
Technical 2001 Ducatto gearbox issue

CeriR

Our 2001, 1.9td, 5 speed Ducatto gearbox in our Moho has started crunching when selecting 1st if moving slightly and 4th while driving along. 2nd, 3rd and 5th are currently fine. I've recently bought the Moho with a lot of travel on the clutch pedal so had a new clutch fitted and they changed the gb oil and found some water in it. I've now read threads that say this is a common problem and I'll look at finding the solutions to the water ingress. I'm currently in France and driving around the selection problem by shifting from 3rd to 5th whenever possible and not engaging 1st unless stopped. I'm guessing syncomesh problems? and gearbox work/recon swop when I get back? Can I ask is it true that the gearbox oil quantity was upped by Fiat from 2.5 litres to 3 litres? If I check with the garage that fitted the clutch if they added 2.5litres will an additional half a litre help my situation or not?

Hi

The synchroniser rings work partly by friction, which will depend on the state of their metallic surfaces and the type and temperature of the oil. I wouldn't be surprised if things gradually improve with the new oil and usage, but this will only happen if you sometimes exercise the "problem" gear changes. In theory, you can reduce or even eliminate the work done by the synchros by double declutching (Google it). This technique aims to match the gear speeds to allow easier engagement, it does take some practice to get right though.

Having the same problem was thinking of get another gear box but cant find any clucth is fine
anyone know where i can get my hands on one its for 2.5 tdi ducato on h reg (1991)

many thanks

Back