Technical 1999 Ducato 2.8itDT motorhome with sudden problems starting and running at idle

Currently reading:
Technical 1999 Ducato 2.8itDT motorhome with sudden problems starting and running at idle

matsbacklin

The motorhome has had a low mileage life with 38,000 miles accumulated over 23 years. I have only covered about 3000 miles during my ownership (2 years).
The engine has always had a very "enthusiastic" way of starting up and has never been tricky or hesitant.
We returned from a couple of days away and after driving the last 30 miles to our house I reversed into the parking area and cut the ignition.
I came to want to adjust the position of the van a few minutes later and had to crank it unusually long and once started it needed almost full throttle on the pedal to stay running. Once I lifted the foot off the pedal it started running very rough and vibrate before cutting out.

I am relatively new to this van and also inexperienced working with diesel engines so would appreciate some advice.
I am uncertain if I will be able to drive it to a workshop in it's current shape.
I did notice a faint whining from the turbo while negotiating the hills in North Wales that I have never noticed before..... is that a clue ?

Back