Technical 1996 1.9TD oil leak

Currently reading:
Technical 1996 1.9TD oil leak

Alexbrz

Hi all,

i've got an oil leak and having trouble locating its source - i've done an extensive google search, but "oil leak" in combination with "ducato" seems to only result in heaps of Gearbox oil leaks, something i'm luckily not having (at the moment, knock on wood)

My oil leak seems to be originating from somewhere just above the oil filter. Hard to see from below, hard to see from up top.
Its not a huge leak, but dripping after a drive and a lot of parts around there are full of oil. When i wipe it all down and let it run in place, no oil seems to be leaking...
It coming from the "gap" between the oil filter and the sump. (both Oil filter and Sump gasket have been replaced as i initially thought it came from either of those)

Perhaps someone has experience with this kind of oil leak and can tell me what is there that could be the cause of said leak?
See attached pictures (red circling around where it approximately originates)

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpg
    IMG_1563.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1564.jpg
    IMG_1564.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 112
Hi

Your pictures appear to show an oil to water heat exchanger (oil cooler) which fits between the filter canister and the engine block. The heat exchanger is likely to be secured to the block with a hollow threaded stud, and sealed with a gasket or O-ring. The gasket may be the source of your leak. See my marked up picture for a typical arrangement.

Attachments

• Ducato 1.9 Oil Cooler.JPG
    Ducato 1.9 Oil Cooler.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 61
Just an observation: you mentioned you'd had the sump gasket replaced; in the first photo it looks like one or two of the securing bolts haven't been tightened as the holes in the pan seem to be visible?

Hi

Your pictures appear to show an oil to water heat exchanger (oil cooler) which fits between the filter canister and the engine block. The heat exchanger is likely to be secured to the block with a hollow threaded stud, and sealed with a gasket or O-ring. The gasket may be the source of your leak. See my marked up picture for a typical arrangement.
Thanks! That is really helpful and would definitely explain the oil leak location. Going to dig in to this as soon as i have time.

Question that the image doesnt totally make clear - should i drain both the coolant and the oil for this operation or can the coolant stay in? Not sure if it will drain out once i take out that hollow stud.

Just an observation: you mentioned you'd had the sump gasket replaced; in the first photo it looks like one or two of the securing bolts haven't been tightened as the holes in the pan seem to be visible?
Sharp observation, but not to worry! It has extra bumps besides the screw holes, best visualized in an image ofcourse:

52fe25860703a.jpg

Last edited:
A very late reply, but i thought i'd leave some info behind for whoever ends up here through google and so on.

It wasnt the oil cooler. It turns out a previous owner has replaced the breather hose that goes from the crankcase to the breather valve on the front of the engine. Its a short-ish L shaped hose that SHOULD on both end have a hose clamp around it. Mine didnt. The breather valve takes care of letting the engine breathe but not lot any oil out - that goes back through the hose. Since that hose wasnt clamped, the oil was pushed out there.

Its a bit hard to reach and above the oil cooler, but now that i've got the clamps on, i havent had any oil dissapear on me anymore for 1500+km (y) Happy days.

Hi Alexbrz, I ,also, own a 1996 1.9td and any information is useful as I can't buy a manual for my van. Thankyou for returning to the site with the solution to your problem. It is amazing how few do. All the Very Best. Ian.

Hi

advice on oil leak for

Fiat Ducato 2003 2 litre JTD DIESEL( motorhome)

Oil leak from engine or gearbox ?

Attachments

• IMG_0833.jpeg
    IMG_0833.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0832.jpeg
    IMG_0832.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0831.jpeg
    IMG_0831.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
Back