Technical Oil leak

Currently reading:
Technical Oil leak

Mervyn Morrow

Hi everyone, just joined but really haven’t a clue what I’m doing, I have fiat Ducato motorhome 2.8 diesel 2001, with a small problem but really annoying one, my speedo drive surround that fits in to the gearbox is leaking and I can’t find a replacement, the one on this vehicle has no sensor just cable with rubber type pin holding it in. Can anyone help please? Cheers Mervyn.

Hi Mervyn,

Welcome to the forum.
Your vehicle must be an x230 model, with flexible mechanical speedo drive. I am puzzled by your mention of a rubber plug to hold the drive in position. This drive was I think, discussed on forum in recent months. The drive was I believe held by an M6 or M7 bolt, which seems large for the task. Both M6, and M7 have the same 1mm pitch, but an M6 bolt, which is more common, would be extremely loose in an M7 tapped hole. My money would be on the M7, but I would probably want to check first. Also bolt not to be too long for hole. Allow clearance at bottom of hole

If you only have a rubber pin holding the drive in position, then any movement would cause wear on the "O" ring seal.

For general info, given the registration year of your vehicle, worth knowing which 2.8L engine. Either 2.8idTD with mechanical injection, or later 2.8jtd with electronic conrtrol of injection.

If its what I'm thinking of.....rubber pin holds cable into Speedo drive.....bolt holds Speedo drive to gearbox.

Jackwhoo's post reminded me that I'd seen a photo of this pin on the forum....after a rummage around here it is:

The OP confirmed the bolt size in that thread as M7

Jackwhoo's post reminded me that I'd seen a photo of this pin on the forum....after a rummage around here it is:

The OP confirmed the bolt size in that thread as M7
That is the thread that I was thinking of. My compliments in finding the correct form of words to search with. I tried a few and failed.

Alan

@Mervyn Morrow ,

If it is an M7 bolt that you need, please note that are are available on Ebay.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, thanks for the reply, but I think I haven’t made it clear, my fault. The housing that holds the speedo cable is made of plastic and is held in by a small M6 bolt, the speedo slides in to this housing and is held in by a rubber pin. I will post photos of reg, fuel pump, vin plates etc etc. cheers Mervyn . ps turbo diesel

Attachments

• IMG_1770.jpeg
    IMG_1770.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1769.jpeg
    IMG_1769.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1768.jpeg
    IMG_1768.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1765.jpeg
    IMG_1765.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1766.jpeg
    IMG_1766.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1767.jpeg
    IMG_1767.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1761.png
    IMG_1761.png
    5 MB · Views: 37
Thanks for the update and photos. Please note that I've not had personal experience of this issue so I'm just suggesting what I would do.....

The oil leak must be either from the joint between the plastic housing and the gearbox or from where the cable enters the housing. It's difficult to see from the photo in the post I linked whether there is a gasket between the housing and the gearbox; you may have to loosen the M6 bolt on yours to check. (if there isn't a gasket it may be that the plastic housing has deformed slightly and the oil is leaking through the gap) The seal between the housing and the speedo cable must be made by the two rubber O-rings shown in your first photo.

In view of the age of your van it may prove to be difficult to obtain specific replacements for the plastic housing or gasket (if there is one!) or the O-rings. You may be lucky and be able to match the O-rings from a box of assorted rings obtainable online or from a motor factors. With regard to the housing you may have some success by using some sort of 'liquid gasket' between housing and gearbox (but be careful it doesn't get inside the gearbox!)

Hi everyone, thanks for the reply, but I think I haven’t made it clear, my fault. The housing that holds the speedo cable is made of plastic and is held in by a small M6 bolt, the speedo slides in to this housing and is held in by a rubber pin. I will post photos of reg, fuel pump, vin plates etc etc. cheers Mervyn . ps turbo diesel
Hi Mervyn,
Thanks for the extra info. Your vehicle is an x230 2.8idTD. On checking, I find that the 2.8idTD was offered as an option until 2001, so when allowance is made for conversion delays, probably 2000 manufacture, with 2001 as a possibility. Feeding the VIN into eper should confirm which. Please note that as confirmed in the thread linked to by Crossingkeeper, the bolt is M7, which should have a 11mm hex head.

Hi fellow members, all replies are appreciated, the plastic housing holding the speedo cable with the two o rings this is slightly oval and this is where the problem lies. I would like to find a replacement, new if possible but a good second hand one would do. I have tried to seal it with CT1 which is a good strong bond, but it is not in a easy access I don’t have a lift and I still have a leak. What I read about this model and year there seems to be three or four different types of fitments, so I will keep searching the web. Cheers Mervyn.

Hi guys, more pictures of my speedo housing, this is the one fitted to my vehicle any info or suggestions would be appreciated, cheers Mervyn

Attachments

• IMG_1838.jpeg
    IMG_1838.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1837.jpeg
    IMG_1837.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
Back