Technical 1981 Spider Oil Pressure

Currently reading:
Technical 1981 Spider Oil Pressure

Following up on my post asking as to where the connection for an oil pressure gauge was on the engine. Today I received the Oil Pressure SU from a high profile Fiat parts supplier. I thought I was ordering a mechanical unit but it turned out to be an electrical unit. I called the parts house and the parts rep advised me I shouldn't even bother with a gauge. It would just scare me as these cars fluctuate in oil pressure dramatically, often times dropping to zero at idle. I also have an 83 spider and it has an oil pressure gauge. The parts house rep advised me someone put that in later as the oil pressure gauge was not an option after 1978. My 83 runs pretty consistent between 40 and 50 PSI. Any advise if I should scrap my plan to add the gauge and return the $40 part and $30 gauge and get my money back.
As always appreciate any advise you guys have Thanks

Yeah?! Who, the hell, does NOT put in an oil pressure gauge because it might "SCARE THEM"? Unbelievable,...
I've had the Fiat parts suppliers provide ALL kinds of stupid explanations (especially when their stuff doesn't fit, or work!) - pay no attention to them,...
Just FYI, as soon as it warms enough to work in my garage again, I'm installing MY new oil pressure gauge/sensor on my '79 Spider,...!

Back