Technical 1981 Fiat Spider AC

Currently reading:
Technical 1981 Fiat Spider AC

adirubba

I was going through my engine bay to sort out some electrical problems when I discovered remnants of an air conditioning system. However, I couldn't find the compressor, but I did come across several other parts related to the AC system. Interestingly, I had always assumed that the controls labeled "FIAT COOLING" on the driver's side were meant to regulate the speed of the blower fan. I had no idea that this car came with air conditioning, and I'm unsure if it was installed aftermarket or if it was an original feature from Fiat. My grandparents purchased the car back in 1985 for my uncle, who had done a lot of work on it before he passed away in 1992. I'm not sure if he removed the AC system due to issues or if he simply hadn't completed the installation before his passing. After my uncle's death, the car was given to my mother and has essentially been sitting idle for the past 20 years. It has likely driven less than 5,000 miles during this time. I'm curious to know if the AC system was an OEM option from Fiat or if it was an aftermarket kit. Additionally, I've noticed a large black box in the passenger footwell below the glove box, and I'm unsure if that has any relation to the air conditioning system.
If anyone has information on this It would be a great help.
Thanks, Angelo

Some pictures might be helpful.

Its doubtful that the car would have originally come with air conditioning There used to be a few after market air conditioning systems in the past which were basically seperate to the cars interior heating system and had their own fan and vents for blowing out cold air, The box you describe in the foot well sounds bit like it may have been after market.

The thing about these types of system is that they were a kit and usually used specific parts to the manufacturer so if you wanted to get it to work now finding compatible parts maybe near impossible.

As you're in the USA you could probably find a company that makes a reasonably priced after market air con system you could DIY fit. Sadly we have neither the weather or the demand to make such kits common place in Europe.

Back