Technical 16v turbo

Currently reading:
Technical 16v turbo

Hello to you guys from the punto side i am from the cinq side ive got a 1.2 16v cinq and i am (have been since bought car 1.4 years) looking to turbo but i cant find any one thats turbod the 16v pepole say turbo the 8v but that will be a littel better that mine so if you no of or have any advies on turboing the the mk2 75 engine the fire away and i have cheacked insurance befor any on says lol

Forget whoever said. They are talking horlicks.

Craig turboed a 16v -- it featured in PPC a while back. There'll be a lengthy post on the car in the Cinq section.

In theory, just about any 16v engine will flow better than any 8v engine,

Easy way of lowering the compression is get a P75 engine, fit it with 16v pistons and rods.

Use the search engine -- everything has been covered ad nauseum.

Chears fingers99 you all ways put me in right direction but i can find any thread on turboing a 16v i just tryed what you said and dident find any thing lol

The easiest way is putting a Punto75 head on the 16v engine if it's already in the car, no piston changes (worn blocks, different tollerance, etc, possible problems) or something.

In this way you have low compression.

If not, decompression plate, or specific pistons.

Munkul's extremely nice turbo project that didn't deserve that end was 1.2 16v too.

f**k me theres to meny agument and discustion on stuf like the argument about the pistons i just whant a strat 16v gude lol chear for the help

The easiest way is putting a Punto75 head on the 16v engine if it's already in the car, no piston changes (worn blocks, different tollerance, etc, possible problems) or something.

In this way you have low compression.

If not, decompression plate, or specific pistons.

Munkul's extremely nice turbo project that didn't deserve that end was 1.2 16v too.

right but what will that lowere compreston to ive hot 1.242 16v mk2 i think i put it wrong at the top lol

ive read some of craigs tread and ive desided to go with big head gasket and for decom and biger injectors , itercoler'oil cooler and gt17 turbo restricted to 0.6 bar or there abouts but how bit of a decomp plate will i need with 2 headgaskest to do the sandwich metod to bring comprestion down to 8.5.1 or 8.6.1

I think there may be issues doing it that way -- I mean, the 16v block, 8v head -- way. AFAIK, the gaskets don't quite match up and the 16v head bolts are a different diameter (and probably length). There may be issues with the cam belt length.

Before going that way, I'd like to measure the CR, investigate any possible/likely issues.

Last edited:
ive read some of craigs tread and ive desided to go with big head gasket and for decom and biger injectors , itercoler'oil cooler and gt17 turbo restricted to 0.6 bar or there abouts but how bit of a decomp plate will i need with 2 headgaskest to do the sandwich metod to bring comprestion down to 8.5.1 or 8.6.1

There should be plenty in Munkul's thread(s).

What are you going to do about the ECU?

im just going to put decomp plate sandwich in but to get a price i need to now how bit to lower it to 8.6.1 or 8.5.1 im not shure pepoe say this and pepole say that probly for safty better to go with the lesser of the 2 i dont no how to work out thoretcly what the comprestion would be theroeticly lol

What are you going to do about the ECU?[/QUOTE]
not shure im going to read more of his thread but i heared some where dont no if true you coul use the original remaped but i also hear that the puntos ecu mk1 wher closed so i couldent use it im confused to sh*t i might go up jdm in a few days when ive read what i can and got what no how i can and see what they can do with the ecu lol

I really wouldn't bother unless you want something different.

Upgrade to a 1.4 16v N/A for the biggest upgrade per £££.

To do a turbo you'll need to budget the cost of a scruffy grande punto T-jet to do things properly.

I turbo'd my 16v punto only to find out the VL36 turbo a week later!
apart from the blown turbo everything worked fine,i had a wideband and adjustable boost control however i cut a corner with the ecu as i used a MF2 system when i really should of used a poppper ecu that would retard the timing on boost.
this was my mk2 punto 16v's
nobody has picked up that the exhaust manifold on the mk2 (munkuls and mine) have the same stud patterns but the mk1 16v has different stud patterns!
when my turbo blew :( :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMDCg6PyruY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWfW0n5G8A4
my turbo setup with a vl37 (t-jet turbo only has a hour left on fleabay :rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Back