Tuning 1368cc 16v - Classic Panda 100HP

Currently reading:
Tuning 1368cc 16v - Classic Panda 100HP

If you know what specs you're after you could get custom springs made up - it's been a while since I looked into this, but I seem to remember it wasn't as expensive as I expected.
I don't know about Panda-specific applications, but as a rule you get what you pay for when it comes to lowering springs. Eibach are usually well regarded.

I've been running Twinky on 185/55/14's since last week to good effect. I also picked up some new Spax lowering springs off ebay for £13. I plan to try fitting these when I have the front end apart to fit the anti-roll bar I havn't got yet:( I'm a little worried about possible clearence probs but I think I'll get away with it (y)

If you know what specs you're after you could get custom springs made up - it's been a while since I looked into this, but I seem to remember it wasn't as expensive as I expected.
I don't know about Panda-specific applications, but as a rule you get what you pay for when it comes to lowering springs. Eibach are usually well regarded.
Custom springs sound lovely, but can't imagine they would be anywhere near £69? Can you name any companies that can quote for this? I'm trying to not spend much money because I think the whole thing could be rubbish and I don't want to regret wasting money on my first modified car.

I've been running Twinky on 185/55/14's since last week to good effect. I also picked up some new Spax lowering springs off ebay for £13. I plan to try fitting these when I have the front end apart to fit the anti-roll bar I havn't got yet:( I'm a little worried about possible clearence probs but I think I'll get away with it (y)
What? £13!! I've been all over eBay, hoping some would come up. Don't believe it!

What? £13!! I've been all over eBay, hoping some would come up. Don't believe it!

I found them with only 12 hours to run, I couldn't believe my luck.:D I check ebay nearly every day and hadn't spotted them before:confused:

For all you old hands they were sold by Lloyd of 750 fame:)

Custom springs sound lovely, but can't imagine they would be anywhere near £69? Can you name any companies that can quote for this? I'm trying to not spend much money because I think the whole thing could be rubbish and I don't want to regret wasting money on my first modified car.

I've heard good things about Midland Motor Springs in the past. They do all sorts to do with springs, and might be able to modify your existing ones if you're on a budget. :)

Only just found this thread looking for info about my panda 100hp lump I just got to replace the 1242 16v in the sei at teh mo.

Very helpful, particularly the mount issue, and a nice read :)

Hows it going though...work kept you too busy to make any more progress?

Hope its going well still (y)

Kristian

Interesting timing with your post Kristian. I have just re-surfaced on the fiat forum again, but to discuss other car's problems at the moment.

I have been spending this summer doing a long-awaited clear out of vehicles and work that is long over due on others. The Panda project was purely fun, so it seems to go down the list of priorities, which is a shame. Now most of what I want to sell is sold, I have two other 'final' projects to sort before I start on the Panda again:

I crashed my Westfield racing car and MUST have this fixed for next season which involves a chassis replacement- enough said. The other is an engine replacement in one of my Thema Turbos and some other serious remedial work, which is 50% complete, waiting on parts as usual.

Hopefully by March/April I will only own 3 cars and one of them will be the Panda project car, which will have replaced my standard run-around Panda. I hope that this will be a period of 'standard maintainance' for me as you can get tired of fixing cars. I am officially getting old at 26.

Well Kritip, your timing is good once more. I have finished replacing the chassis in the Westfield, putting a new engine and drive train in the Thema Turbo and have just got a Y10 to commute in. Now I can finish off what I started with the Panda. I have just finished modifying the pedals for fly-by-wire and a manual gear change! I am looking to get the mechanicals all done so at least I can prove the theory that it actually works, before I get into the electronic detail and interior design, go faster bits, etc. I will be turning down the driveshaft ends soon so they will actually fit on the car properly and then I can go for a drive.

Here are the pics of the other mentioned motors taken this week:

Attachments

• thema.jpg
    thema.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 83
  • westfield.jpg
    westfield.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 73
  • y10.jpg
    y10.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 87
Epic thread resurrection!

Classic Panda 100HP got an MOT yesterday! Already covered 100 miles since then and will be in daily use until something breaks. Overall the electronics are working great and the car performs very well and is very civilised until you boot it.

I'll take some more pics of some other things tomorrow, but for the most part it looks standard as is the goal.

BTW, my front bumper is so grey it hurts. Seems strange it would go so grey when other plastic parts are still black looking, including the rear bumper. Did they do grey bumpers on the mk2s at all?

Attachments

• panda_MOT.jpg
    panda_MOT.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 130
:yeahthat: or WD40 (y)
Dave, Jon: Are these a temporary or permanent fix? Will it look oily when done?!

Still lots of parts to fit and therefore quite a few untidy areas at the moment, so hopefully pictures won't disappoint.

Insurance was interesting. I tried a couple of modified insurance places including HIC and they were quoting around £5-600 with 0 no claims and £350 using 3 years that I do have available. I then called my usual insurer, Footman James and they said they would do it on a classic policy for £110 FC, no claims bonus not required of course! As far as I can tell, it is simply a bargain as it has better terms than the other quotes and has no restrictions. All the mods and planned mods as well are mentioned and there is no mileage or commuting restrictions. "It has more than twice the original horsepower and torque" fell on deaf ears. :eek:

"Back to black" everytime for bumpers!!!....a few coats and they stay black for ages.....(y)...get the one in a bottle and put on with a cloth....mine were like that and are now jet black...check my pic's for proof...:D

kev

Back