Tuning 1368cc 16v - Classic Panda 100HP

Currently reading:
Tuning 1368cc 16v - Classic Panda 100HP

I'm scared to say it, but your car is almost orgasmic! :yum:
Are all the warning lights wired to go out and work properly (door open light etc) out of interest?

Not gonna forget that comment in a hurry. :D

I have a second binnacle and dials in development as I mentioned earlier which has some of the warning lights extinguished permanently- ABS, general brake warning/handbrake light, steering failure and general ECU fault. All others work right. The ECU fault light is always on and registers no connection to ABS ECU, ABS CAN problem and no speedo signal. This means I don't have the benefit of early warning, but can connect my OBDII reader to it every now and then and see if there is a fourth error. It's interesting that when there is a catastrophic saftey failure, like ABS, you just get full performance all the time and traction control of course doesn't exist. Also the ECU would normally restrict performance based on the angle of the steering wheel, which is also turned off of course. So to put yourself back in control of your Punto on a track, disconnect the ABS ECU! Steering wouldn't fun disconnected though.

The door open indicators/circuits are all wired up, as are the courtesy and headlight lights, etc. This means a fading interior light and one that knows when you are going to exit after a journey and pull the key. Using the blipper, you can "unlock" the car and lights fade up, dash lights up, etc. before you are there and all that taken-for-granted modern stuff. The "bulb-out" light also works correctly (soooo useful). Also programmable courtesy headlights. Heated rear screen/fog indicators and all other tale-tale lights work, operated by the normal switches.

The speedometer area will turn into a round art space as it won't be used. Not sure what to do with it. Might just leave it "dead" as it is.

Everything that you could think might be possible is there. Once you have the infrastructure in place, these features just come to you. I didn't know half the stuff was sorted until I turned it on by accident. If you wire by the book, the headlight stalk mimics the Punto, so pulling back on them whilst engine off = follow me home lights. I then read the Punto manual to check for features I have! Shame I couldn't sort the speedo input in the end, because cruise control is a genuinely useful feature that I use regularly in my Alfa 166 (for sale shortly).

Last edited:
Thanks. The build wasn't very expensive if you discount the LSD, speedo and tyres. If you do, it probably only cost me £400 with £200 of that being the rolling road day and £100 the cost of the car! I made back a large amount of money from selling other parts of the donor car. This made the engine, gearbox and electronics "free" and put about £500 in the bank too. In parts costs overall, I probably broke even! Just needed a lot of time. It's really hard to properly keep track though. Keeping the Punto electronics saved me a lot of money and was one of the reasons for doing it this way. But yeah, I had to learn a lot about modern networked car electrics to make it all work.

Good stuff, that's what I like to hear. I've got more time than money so favour this route too. Maybe I'll aproach it in stages, starting with an early 8v conversion, any recommendations?

Punto 75 MPI in my y10 with a standard 5 speed gearbox. Came with all the ECU and wiring so as lewey says, you can fit it in a weekend.

Not been on the road with it yet but should be good for 80bhp which is ok for minimum effort.

Cheers

Dave

This is mine

IMG_3396.JPG

My tip if someone does want to go 16v route is to buy a modern 1242 16v unit from a Grande Punto, Nuevo Punto, Stilo, etc. with under 20k on it from a breakers (eBay) and fit MK1 Punto Sporting engine electronics and manifolds. Will run perfectly and you will have a nearly new engine. They are surprisingly cheap with low mileage on them now as they are common in the newer cars.

The only bit of the original wiring that has been used is in the block connector just above the air filter. Only three or four wires.

Once the ECU was decoded and a new pump she fired up.

yes. but it will be very dificult to find space for the turbo and intercooler plus all the pipework.

Radiator would have the be re loacated, serious suspension and strengthening tot he body and chassis made. oil cooler fitted. Would cost in excess of 5k i expect. and you can used t-jets for a couple of k more.

If you want turbo power in a panda, either find a y10 lump with one, or go for a 1242 8v conversion and fit one. Astra TDI engines have a suitable garrett turbo. even then the cost of engine internals and turbo ancillaries will be sky high, even if you do comprimise with some parts

Will the T-Jet engine fit in a Panda?
Often thought about it. Tried to locate a knackered car, but they are just too new and also desirable to fix up. I thought about doing just what I have done with this project, but turbo. Certainly possible, but the torque could make the car a bit silly and would require the strengthening that Craig is talking about. I reckon the whole lot would fit in without serious modifications in my opinion, having measured a Bravo unit. The rad would need to go in the bumper.

An Uno is crying out for it and in my opinion would make the better choice for modding.

If you want turbo power in a panda, either find a y10 lump with one, or go for a 1242 8v conversion and fit one. Astra TDI engines have a suitable garrett turbo. even then the cost of engine internals and turbo ancillaries will be sky high, even if you do comprimise with some parts

Thanks for this Craig. Once my y10 is back on the road and everything working, the plan is a turbo route.

I have an IHI turbo from an Uno plus an oil cooler and intercooler.

However as the body work budget and other "bits and bobs" have been significantly more than orginally thought the full blown route will need to wait.:cry:

Cheers

Dave

Back