Tuning 1368cc 16v - Classic Panda 100HP

Currently reading:
Tuning 1368cc 16v - Classic Panda 100HP

The Stilo and Mk2b Punto engines are practically the same. Other cars use the Starjet job with variable inlet port size stuff.

Currently, the engine is standard apart from my own intake and filter and a re-map at Red Dot. The tubular manifold and free intake made a huge difference. The re-map made a little difference in terms of overall power, but lots in terms of torque through the rev range, particularly at the bottom end.

I want to keep all the standard electronics, so any mods I consider would have to be with that in mind.

Looking at Kritip's flywheel thread, 6.6KG is the standard weight. 800g off might not be noticable. The weight is off the front and around the edge, which counts for a lot, but even so!

Flywheel has gone back to have more off. Hope they do it without fuss.

A little bit of polishing, and tripple angle valve seats cost me £30 with me stripping the valves out etc. by myself.

Cams make a big diff. I run 1242 16v profile and it was a big improvment. But they cost a fair bot more.

If you are doing lots of work, then, nows the time to do it :)

What inlet do you run? the plastic 1368cc with pic injectors?

Standard 1242 16v cams? Really? I was looking at C&B cams. They sell the same profiles for 1.2 or 1.4 engines.

I use everything standard, what is the benefit of uprated injectors?

SOrry, thats was a bit confusing. THey are piper regrinds of the 1.4 cams, but with an uprated 1242 profile. Seem to work great.

I couldn't justify the cost of C&B and didn't wantt o go with GSR, so that didn't leave many other options. Work well though :)

Very interesting. What is the approximate cost? They only officially offer a fast road that looks fairly mild. What are your cam details? Is this all written down somewhere else or have I missed posts about your engine upgrades perhaps?

Yep, thats the one, it's similar to the C&B, not as much lift though. Still for big lift, you'd be better with solid lifters. IT made an appreciable difference, along with the other head worth I have done. Not dyno'd however.

If you can afford C&B, go for it :)

Mine were about £200

KRistian

a cinq Jon, and yes the engine is stilo but primarily the same, He's now running diff injectors, and fuel rail, as said from a bravo i believe. abarth/tjet injectors might work well but could flow too much fuel for N/A engine

i am using standard injectors for the 1368cc 16v. To begin with I was using the 1242 16v inlet manifold and injectors, I have since fitted a brava fuel rail which has allowed me to use the standard 1368cc stilo injectors on the 1242 16v inlet manifold. This has also given me scope to fit the T-jet injectors if i want, since they are phyiscally the same size as the stock stilo ones.

iirc lewey runs the stock 1368cc inlet manifold and so will be running the same injectors that I am now running. He could upgrade to the Tjet ones (as kritip did) without any modification

iirc lewey runs the stock 1368cc inlet manifold and so will be running the same injectors that I am now running. He could upgrade to the Tjet ones (as kritip did) without any modification

Yeah, everything is stock apart from intake before throttle body and exhaust. What is the purpose of fitting T-jet injectors in terms of performance at this stage? Are you just mentioning it as an upgrade path should I tune the engine further?

I got v2 of the flywheel back. Quite a lot off the back as I wanted. Now weighs 5.4 Kg, which is about what I want, so I'm happy. Quality of the work is great. Nice radius on the cut and everything. Plan to put whole lot back together tomorrow and go for a drive before it is dark.

Attachments

• flywheel_v2.jpg
    flywheel_v2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 38
Yeah I just mentioning it as an upgrade path, when using the 1242 manifold the fuel supply can be a bottleneck when tuning as the injectors are a funny size (read expensive). But using the stock 1368cc pink injectors means that they can be swapped for the t-jets should they be needed. I know kristian ran them because he has cams / headwork, plus they are a better design and the nozzle sits closer to the port.

I think 5.4kg is approx what i took mine down, all works well :)

Well, I put it all back together and have done a couple of hundred miles and all is well. The LSD provides an incredible difference in grip and total change in expectations whilst driving. You can exit roundabouts at full throttle and get the full benefit, which is quite odd the first few times you do it!

I also fitted a new gear lever and centre console from a late Lancia Y10. I put all the interior plastic back together and have an SPA digital speedometer wired up to the gearbox sensor. Expensive, but does the job very well. Does very accurate acceleration timing between any speeds and distance (1/4 mile) timing as well. The entire custom loom is now soldered permanently and covered up. Most people don't notice it isn't standard now. Even had a mechanic (who doesn't know FIATs) lifted the bonnet and he didn't realise it was modified when I questioned him later! All he said was, "I wondered why the airbox was chopped up". Fitted a Cinquecento Sporting steering wheel too.

I have a proper binnacle valance that will hide any nasty edges around the dial set currently in production. The digital speedo will sit in with dials where the orange clock readout is now. I have a dummy made up that proves the concept and looks neat. I have changed the bulbs in the Panda switches and levers with amber LEDs to match the dials. It looks like it's meant to be at night. Unfortunately the speedo backlight is green, although has adjustable brightness to try to match the dials.

Basically, save the binnacle valance, the car is finished. I am unlikely to do any serious mods to it now as it risks becoming less than ideal as an everyday car. Hope you have enjoyed reading the build and thanks to all who offered advice over the years. I intend to concentrate on an a road legal FIAT Uno trackday/racing car now. Looking to buy a complete or unfinished project to sort before summer.

Attachments

• engine_bay.jpg
    engine_bay.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 135
  • dash1.jpg
    dash1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 562
  • dash2.jpg
    dash2.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Congratulations Lewey, You've produced a fantastic little car (y).

My old school abilities and tiny budgets will not allow to me develope my projects down this route, so I can only look on with envy :worship:.

Be good un on the track now with the LSD

See what differnce in track times are if your at Llandow again.

I probably will take it to Llandow once more and also gonna do a 1/4 mile at SCR. Acceleration in a straight line is now very reliable because of the LSD and probably a little quicker because of this and the lighter flywheel. The ability to put the power down in a couple of spots I can't a Llandow should give me a couple of seconds.

Congratulations Lewey, You've produced a fantastic little car (y).

My old school abilities and tiny budgets will not allow to me develope my projects down this route, so I can only look on with envy :worship:.
Thanks. The build wasn't very expensive if you discount the LSD, speedo and tyres. If you do, it probably only cost me £400 with £200 of that being the rolling road day and £100 the cost of the car! I made back a large amount of money from selling other parts of the donor car. This made the engine, gearbox and electronics "free" and put about £500 in the bank too. In parts costs overall, I probably broke even! Just needed a lot of time. It's really hard to properly keep track though. Keeping the Punto electronics saved me a lot of money and was one of the reasons for doing it this way. But yeah, I had to learn a lot about modern networked car electrics to make it all work.

Back