Technical 1242 Engine

Currently reading:
Technical 1242 Engine

ok another one of my crazy ideas...

my old gaffer has a punto 60 on his driveway. his ex's daughter ran it out of coolant and kept driving (suspected HG failure). the timing belt cover had melted its self to the head so its been properly cooked. he had the head off and the barrels are scored (i dont know to what extent but im assuming pretty bad).

i want a project to teach my mate about engines and also ive wanted a 1242 for the extra power and stuff for quite a while. id probaby be putting a C&B 268 or a 75 cam in, mc kritch chip and a few other subtle mods but would it be an ok base to work from?

bear in mind i will be fully stripping it down and rebuilding from sctratch replacing anything even slightly damaged due to its unknown history and the fact its been nuked.

whats the chances block and or head are cracked? i dunno how susceptable the FIRE engines were to cracking under excessive heat.

Cracked blocks aren't that much of a problem *but* the oil pathways are going to be clogged up so the odds are that it will run for a bit and then seize.

The head will be junk if it overheated that badly that the camcover melted.

You'd be looking at replacing pretty much all of the moving parts in the engine and the bearing surfaces. Just in parts you're looking at a minimum of £200 and that doesn't include machine shop costs. It would be cheaper to find a running MOT failure and use that as the basis of an engine swap.

Cracked blocks aren't that much of a problem *but* the oil pathways are going to be clogged up so the odds are that it will run for a bit and then seize.

The head will be junk if it overheated that badly that the camcover melted.

You'd be looking at replacing pretty much all of the moving parts in the engine and the bearing surfaces. Just in parts you're looking at a minimum of £200 and that doesn't include machine shop costs. It would be cheaper to find a running MOT failure and use that as the basis of an engine swap.

Or look for the engine from a car which was involved in an accident. That is the way how I got my 1242.

It'll be a lot more cost effective to just buy a 1242 engine in good working order. I've picked up several low mileage ones for 100 quid or so. You'll pay more than that for machining yours, never mind buying pistons, gaskets, bearings.......

If you want the practice doing a rebuild fair enough, but it won't save you money. Free can be costly!

Back