General 100HP Panda Car Alarm goes off randomly!

Currently reading:
General 100HP Panda Car Alarm goes off randomly!

A cheap alarm on a cheap car works well if the siren is INSIDE the cabin. Anyone looking for a cheap ride home cant even sit in the thing with that blaring.

control box is connected to the sensors hazard lights and body computer.

the logical place to put it is under the dash the wiring should run down the A pillars plastic covering

:yeahthat:

Its probably not far from the fuse box, but depending on who put it in, it may or may not very easy to follow the wires to the control box and the control box for these alarms will look very similar to other modules and computers in the car behind the dash.

The alarm siren is likely to be under the scuttle panel near or next to the wiper motor.

As its an OEM Canbus alarm system it might even be possible to access it on MES and see if there are any problems or faults.

You were spot on. I found the alarm box under the dash and it is the one you posted the Ebay link to - M792us.

When I insured my car the comparison site defaulted to my car having a Thatcham approved alarm and I didn't change this. I thought that the Panda would have had an alarm fitted as standard but now know this not to be the case. Do you know if this alarm is Thatcham approved standard (I think it was supposed to be class 3 or something like that).

I asked the Ebay seller if this alarm is Thatcham approved and this was his reply:-

Hi Bruce, yes we believe it is. This is a Factory option alarm and Fiat Pandas from 2004 were fitted with Thatcham Cat 2 Alarms.

Panda
Jan 04 - on
Code 2 Immobiliser
TE2 - 1136/0800

Regards,

Giles
D G Rally Ltd

its my belief that all fiats with immobilisers are already category 2. and that category 1 would only apply if the alarm was factory fit.

I did a little search and came across this.

• Category 1 is an electronic alarm and immobiliser. The alarm must have perimeter detection, ignition detection, passenger compartment detection and audible warning with its own power supply. The immobiliser on the other hand must be passively set (i.e. you don't have to turn it on and off like in some older cars) and must isolate at least two of the car’s operating circuits.
• Category 2 is only an electronic immobiliser, which must also adhere to the same two criteria as category 1.
• Category 2-1 is when a cat 2 car is upgraded to cat 1 after leaving the factory without an alarm. The retro fitted alarm must meet the same rules described above in cat 1.
• Category 3 is where your good old-fashioned steering wheel clamp comes in.

so that appears to support that they are all category 2 anyway and that you are category 2 - 1 with the alarm system you have? or maybe if it is a "factory fit" option then you might be able to say its category 1 who knows? I probably wouldn't risk saying its a category 1 anyway.

In all fairness the immobiliser stops the car being stolen, when an alarm mainly protects the contents, so an insurance company wouldn't probably give you any significant discount for having an alarm thats been added after ?

Last edited:
Sadly car alarms are of little use, unless the car owner is within earshot.
Possibly due to the prevalence of rubbish alarms in the early eighties, most people nowadays react incorrectly when an alarm goes off.

When we hear an alarm, our response should be like, "someone's property is being violated, how can I help, can I call the police, warn the offenders off, etc."
Our most likely response will be more like, "shut that b****y noise off".

See I’ve disagreed with this statement. If you only heard it maybe. But if you heard a smash before, or looked and saw someone half hanging out the door then I suspect most would react and call the police.

I asked the Ebay seller if this alarm is Thatcham approved and this was his reply:-

Hi Bruce, yes we believe it is. This is a Factory option alarm and Fiat Pandas from 2004 were fitted with Thatcham Cat 2 Alarms.

Panda
Jan 04 - on
Code 2 Immobiliser
TE2 - 1136/0800

Regards,

Giles
D G Rally Ltd

The sellers wrong that’s a dealer fit alarm.

I’ve fitted the exact same one myself to a panda. Siren should either be under the windscreen scuttle (can’t easily be ripped out to shut it up), but may be around the battery area, as needs connecting to the engine bay fuse box.

Control unit connects to the body computer. This is the lower right hand side of the steering wheel. The ultra sonic sensors should be wired to this also.

See I’ve disagreed with this statement. If you only heard it maybe. But if you heard a smash before, or looked and saw someone half hanging out the door then I suspect most would react and call the police.

Yep, I suppose if there were other noises, or movements, I'd call the police.
I've heard a lot of car alarms over the years, never seen or heard anything additional. Which is a good thing.

The sellers wrong that’s a dealer fit alarm.

I’ve fitted the exact same one myself to a panda. Siren should either be under the windscreen scuttle (can’t easily be ripped out to shut it up), but may be around the battery area, as needs connecting to the engine bay fuse box.

Control unit connects to the body computer. This is the lower right hand side of the steering wheel. The ultra sonic sensors should be wired to this also.

should just bolt to the battery tray with the supplied bracket

Attachments

• temp.png
    temp.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 30
Back