try again

looks doable

drill a hole and remove some metal

without them in font of me I can't be sure

Attachments

• Screenshot (98).png
    Screenshot (98).png
    115.8 KB · Views: 26
The 50mm wider track on a 595 rear beam may cause you a headache though. I have been playing about with spacers on my 100HP and added 20mm per side on the rear only to be greeted with the metal arch eating the tyre. That's with my wheels being ET31.5 (removing 1.5mm from the offset so effectively only pushing out 18.5mm).

As said above it would be nice to finally get to the bottom of whether a rear beam could be found, I'd buy one and store it for sure.

please free to give feedback on this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123896037056?hash=item1cd8c77ec0:g:QKUAAOSwtQxeOVBC

tad under £150 delivered which isnt much above a S/H one delivered

correct part number is listed
100HP is listed

I feel I must be missing something obvious !

bottom translated

DISCOUNT for workshops and traders, please inquire. 2 YEARS WARRANTY FIAT Panda 2 (169) 2003-2016 NEW REAR AXLE CARRIER Rear axle incl. pressed-in bushings Not suitable for four-wheel drive vehicles (4x4 / 4WD) For vehicles with drum brakes and brake discs Exemplary part numbers 50705127 51856918 50706526 51856917 71736894 50702951 Axle is ready for installation. Bushings are pressed in. Vehicle use list service for comparison purposes only! PLEASE COMPARE THE PICTURES. For questions contact via Ebay, email or by phone (also SMS, Whatsapp) Contact details directly below the description! see "Seller's Legal Information

certainly worth sending a message I think

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211121-200034_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211121-200034_Gallery.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Looks like someone has finally found the difference and made them universal

universal have been around for a few years

there's a few disc models of the Panda, some diesels, 1.4 dual fuel possibly more

but the part number for the 100HP was different to the others

the listing I posted above mentions the 100HP and its part number. I have checked side by side with other universal axles and I can't spot any difference

however not every angle has been shot plus you can't gaurentee the photo is the actual part you receive. I have ordered ball bearing races and often its not the same as the photo as they just use a generic one. It may even be the other axles fit and it was an omitted by accident from the advert

If I needed one I would WhatsApp them First to confirm it fitted.

I replaced my rear axle about 2 years ago, I looked at all options, they can be repaired, but I opted for a new one, they are/were still available from Fiat but eye wateringly expensive. I paid around £800 and then had it painted with all sorts to future proof it.
Unfortunately they are unique to the 100hp, although I seem to remember reading that someone had retro fitted one from a 500 but the track was slightly different.

You cannot fit a 500 axle to the 100HP it's too wide..

I have not put a 100HP axle alongside the 1200 axle but suspect the differences are minimal. The brake caliper bolts to the stub axle NOT to the axle itself. There might be different brackets for brake hoses and handbrake cable but those should not be insurmountable.

The 100HP back brakes have TWO flexible hoses at each side. For what they cost extra, it's better to get a custom braided hose made up. It needs to be 600mm long and can run from the underbody flare nut to the caliper. Get it made with four barrel grommets, so you can zip tie or P clip the hose to the axle swing arm. If you keep the front hoses with normal rubber lines, the brake pedal will feel normal. Personally I like the harder pedal feel so fitted braided to all four corners.

The flare nut will almost certainly be jammed to the brake pipe. Cut the hose and spin the fragment off the flare nut. This will avoid twisting the metal pipe. It's a zinc plated steel pipe with a plastic sleeve over. The zinc oxidises and expands the sleeve under the flare nut. I warmed mine with a gas cooker lighter flame just enough to soften the plastic sleeve. The nut spins easily. Then paint or copper grease the bare metal pipe.

These people have 169 rear axles at reasonable costs
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14338754...:Panda&hash=item2162904496:g:CskAAOSwiUdfNmLI

On the thread jrk linked to earlier: https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/486081-100hp-rear-axle-beam-rot.html?p=4585782
As I understand, it was confirmed the drum braked 169 Panda axle is the same width between stub axle plates as the 100HP, and that the stub axle mounting holes are the same (I don't know if OP @MarkPed went ahead with a replacement axle, or if they're still active on here?)

If that's the case, the only differences would be: 1. the top lip on the stub axle plate; and 2. the position of the hole for the ABS wire - looks like those universal axles found by koalar & MD 100hp above should solve that?

Last edited:
On the thread jrk linked to earlier: https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/486081-100hp-rear-axle-beam-rot.html?p=4585782
As I understand, it was confirmed the drum braked 169 Panda axle is the same width between stub axle plates as the 100HP, and that the stub axle mounting holes are the same (I don't know if OP @MarkPed went ahead with a replacement axle, or if they're still active on here?)

If that's the case, the only differences would be: 1. the top lip on the stub axle plate; and 2. the position of the hole for the ABS wire - looks like those universal axles found by koalar & MD 100hp above should solve that?

thats exactly how I see it

I remember checking the distance on my 1.1 06 active with drums, and between the stub axle plates it matched the 100HP

at the time a s/h axle was £50 with drums. I would have taken a punt on modifying one as disc ones were almost none existent

but s/h prices have shot up and new replacements have come down.

Someone has to be the first and take a punt. As long as you check with the seller First they would have to pay the return postage if it didn't work.

It would be nice to get to the bottom of this; finding a source for a rear beam for the 100HP which will either fit out of the box or with simple modifcations could save quite a few of these cars from being scrapped.

Get an aftermarket 169 rear beam for about £120 plus another tenner for rubber bushes. It's said the brake lines need a notch increasing to fit the disc calipers and the ABS sensor might foul. I'm not entirely convinced as the brake and ABS sensor fits to the hub spindle which you will be removing from your old axle.

I've just had a rear wheel off my 100HP. The brake caliper is bolted to the hub spindle which is bolted to the axle end plate. The 100HP ABS pick-up is at the top of the axle end plate in a large slot about 15mm wide. Looking at the IM Axles website, the drum brake version has an elongated hole at the front side of stub axle mounting face (9 o'clock on the LHS of the car). The 100HP ABS sensor would need a suitable hole drilling in the spindle mount end plate, which should be stronger than simply slashing a slot as the OEM does. I dont have the two side by side (obviously) but it does not look like an impossible task, especially compared to the work needed to repair a severely rusted spring pan.

Last edited:
Just fit a 500 axle, you need to cut a slot for the ABS sensor but other than that, they do fit. There is another thread on here going through it all. have a search
This is bad advice; the 500 axle is wider and increases the track by 50mm; whilst you can get away with this on a standard 169, the wider wheel & tyre combination on the 100HP won't clear the arches if you fit a 500 beam, so on the 100HP, it won't work at all.

Before the availability of affordable aftermarket axles, this workaround was a way of keeping 1.1/1.2 Pandas on the road which would otherwise have been uneconomic to repair. Now that correctly dimensioned beams can be bought for these cars at a little over £100, there's no justification for going down the route of fitting a secondhand 500 beam, with all of the attendant insurance implications.

What we need now is for somene to buy one of the supposedly 100HP compatible aftermarket beams and confirm that it will either fit out of the box, or be capable of simple modification to fit with a little fettling.

We've moved on from the days of playing with secondhand beams from salvaged 500's.

The wheel spindles have to be removed from the old axle. The "basic" beam has the ABS sensor in the wrong place. You will have to drill a hole at 12 o'clock to make room for the disc brake sensor (disc and drum have different spindles). Measurements for drilling should be easy as you can go straight from the spindle.

Brake lines are a pain in the bits so get some braided hoses made that go from the underbody flare nut all the way to the brake caliper.

Do you still have the car? Where are you up to with it? I’m looking for a cheap 100hp as a project and the rear axle wouldn’t be a problem for what I need to do

Back