Technical 1.9JTD Power Loss Under Load

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9JTD Power Loss Under Load

Jabiru

Hi There,

Recently bought a diesel Multipla (03 plate & 60,000m). It has a very predictable fault which I've lived with for a few hundred miles.

For example on a motorway gradient in top gear, I apply more throttle to maintain 70m.p.h, I get a warning "engine management light" and "switch off engine" message. ALL power is lost, I coast to a halt, switch off and restart, then everything is fine again and the light is cancelled.

I can avoid the fault with gentle driving - I have to change down a gear on motorway gradients and allow the car to slow to 60 mph, rather than give too much welly.

Things I've checked:
1. Service items, new oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter.

2. Hose checks - ones I can see seem OK - the hose to the intercooler is quite oily, but seems intact.

3. Silicone vacuum pipe to turbo vane diaphragm actuator - pipe is OK and when I rev the engine, I can see the actuator move, so presumably the electric vacuum valve is OK?

4. EGR Valve - stripped down and cleaned - works OK on 12 volt supply (might try blanking plate next - to totally eliminate the EGR).

5. MAP Sensor - took it out to check for corroded connections - looks OK - but have heard these devices can be troublesome - should I replace it?

6. MAF Sensor - removed electrical connector, but the fault remains - so maybe not the MAF?

7. Crankshaft Sensor - This actually lives on the exhaust camshaft on my model (115 bhp). The electrical connections looked clean.

I'm currently changing the timing belt, water pump and front suspension springs, but once I'm back on the road, I'd really like to nail this fault once and for all.

In general I don't think the engine's quite as lively as it should be, particularly below 2000r.p.m.

Does this sound familiar? Has anyone out there had a similar problem with their Multi - and how did you fix it?

Any ideas much appreciated.
Thanks,
Pete

To revive a dead post....

I have similar issues, usually when accelerating to 4k revs, mine drops the power off but doesnt kill the engine...

Engine light on means they'll be a stored fault code. Get that read and come back. Sounds like the crank sensor has failed to me but fault code will be present if it has.

There is also a cam sensor which could give the same symptoms, as DC says you need the code to help diagnose the problem.
ECUscan is useful if you've got a laptop, definitely better than a OBDII reader.

Back