Technical 1.9JTD 115 Boost gauge install

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9JTD 115 Boost gauge install

MyNameIsHate

I am going to install a boost gauge on my stilo this weekend and i would like to get some tips from you guys for where should i get the boost reading from and how to do it.

I'd prefer not to pierce any stock tubing, is there anywhere else i can get a proper reading ?

thanks in advance

Realistically I don't think there is anywhere that you can readily take a feed from. The boost pressure for the ECU is read by a sensor on the manifold, so it's not like you can piggyback that without having some kind of adapter plate in place.

I can't think of a way round it other than putting a hole in something and installing a new nipple to take a boost feed from.

I assume the gauge is the sort that had a boot pipe fed into the back of the gauge rather than an electric sender?

Realistically I don't think there is anywhere that you can readily take a feed from. The boost pressure for the ECU is read by a sensor on the manifold, so it's not like you can piggyback that without having some kind of adapter plate in place.

I can't think of a way round it other than putting a hole in something and installing a new nipple to take a boost feed from.

I assume the gauge is the sort that had a boot pipe fed into the back of the gauge rather than an electric sender?

Electric sender actually. (y)

Well, the work day was a partial success...

Installed the boost receiver (had to pierce and add a nozzle to the intake pipe, no other way around it).

Couldnt find a way to pass the cables from the engine bay to inside the car, near the windshield wipers my car doesnt have any grommet and the one i found is near impossible to access from the inside of the car.

... to be continued.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you didn't pierce one of the rubber / silicone hoses?

I would be fearful of the hose firing the sender out under pressure as the hose expands and the hole gets bigger. You'd be surprised just how much expansion goes on in those hoses under 2 bar of pressure.

Good luck finding cabin access for your wiring - I know it can be a bit of a pain.

No, i would never do that, i pierced the solid plastic tube that goes to the intake manifold. I threaded the plastic with a proper tool and threaded in the nipple thingy that will give me the boost reading.

Couldnt find a way to pass the cables from the engine bay to inside the car

There's a large wiring grommet in front of the dashboard fuse box (on a RHD car).

I used it when I needed to add a wire from the engine management ECU to the instrument cluster on my JTD. I pushed a small philips screwdriver through first to make a passage for it. Don't use anything sharp, because the rear screen washer rubber tube also goes through there.

Attachments

• PICT1734.JPG
    PICT1734.JPG
    781 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Back