Technical 1.9 Mjet engine failure

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9 Mjet engine failure

No, I havent had it long enough. I've mentioned in this letter that its my 3rd Fiat, and my families 4th - I made my sister buy a 1.2 mk3 Punto.

I've also offered to pay for fitting of the engine, if they supply it - which I can do myself.

Oh, and its a Hyundai I30 1.6 Diesel. But I managed to make it so the insurance is free...

I would hope/imagine that showing youre not a one-off customer will help. I mentioned that the Stilo was my third Fiat & that i was planning to have another Fiat or Alfa as the replacement, but that it depended on how Fiat dealt with my concern over the spring failure.

And to be fair to Fiat UK, they certainly delivered. £300 vouchers far exceeded my expectations. My mate whos very pro Audi/VW since having no financial help when the sump rusted through completely on his 3.5 year 28,000 mile Focus a few years ago, was amazed at how Fiat had responded, giving that i didn't buy the car new or from a main dealer.

Hopefully your letter does the same kinda trick & they'll offer some assistance. Afterall, it is a hefty repair/bill.

Ouch.....

photo.jpeg

DSC03677.jpeg

DSC03674.jpeg

DSC03676.jpeg

No idea on fault, would love to know what failed first!

Looking for a 2nd hand engine, although i've been looking for over a month and not seen many around! Was hoping the snow might kill a few?

Is pic 4 a valve shim Joss?
If so I'd suspect that broke up & somehow held that busted valve open & the piston bust the head off it... hard to see it being the valve first unless it stuck / seized open :(

I'd say the cam stopped turning (either belt failure or jumped teeth) causing the piston to ram the valve up through the bucket until it hit the cam and could go no more, so it snapped off and began bouncing around.

Look at the shim- it's got the imprint of the valve stem in the centre and could only happen if the valve had been punched through the bucket (I've seen many shims 'mushroom' from having the valve pushed up by the piston upon cambelt failure). I'd check the water pump and tensioner for the initial cause.

You're going to need the complete engine, plus a set of glowplugs and injectors at a minimum as there's clearly been fragments drawn into adjacent cylinders during the failure. Engine version number is on the chassis plate.

Should do, though it'll need Dealer equipment to write the 'new' injector codes into the ECU (can't remember if it's at a Dealer's now). Also, if disturbing the pipes between the pump and injectors, Fiat always insist they're replaced to ensure they seal correctly on new components. You may be lucky, but remember the pressures involved (upto 1500bar).

It's also likely debris has made it out of the exhaust side and damaged the turbo, it may work ok but any damage to the turbine fins can induce noise.

Looking for a 2nd hand engine, although i've been looking for over a month and not seen many around!

Still no help from Fiat then?

If a cambelt or waterpump failing early is the cause of all the damage then i would hope Fiat would've at least offered a token gesture. The car was only on 25k miles wasn't it?

Last edited:
No, I think the response from Fiat UK was shocking.

At the point of not knowing who was to blame - me or them, or the extent of the damage, no help at all was very disappointing, especially as i've been loyal to the brand with this being my 3rd Fiat in a row.

Unfortunately I wont be buying Fiat again, which is a great shame as they seem to be the only good looking cars out there.

I've bought a 24,000mile 2008 engine this morning, so I'll have a fun weekend fitting it, assuming it comes in time! Just wish it didn't cost £960!!

My dad thinks that we should write a letter to the Daily Mail and have a bit of a moan - that might **** them off a bit!

I'm not shocked, they do seem very haphazard with making decisions on whether to help owners when a vehicle fails out of warranty. I was obviously very lucky.

I can't see how 'buying a car outside of the dealer network' makes any difference as to whether the engine would fail or not, as in this case it'd only been serviced by official Fiat garages, hadn't it?

Well good luck with getting the new engine fitted. It's a shame you won't buy another Fiat, but i totally understand why. If ever there was a case for them to help an owner out, it's when the owner is loyal to the brand. I thought this being my third Fiat too, was why they helped me out.

Is it a Fiat Dealer which has pulled the head off and is investigating the cause?

In my experience with a similar problem on a car just out of 3rd year, if the cause is a component which has failed prematurely without warning and wouldn't have been picked up until a later date (like a water pump or tensioner seizing before the belt is due for replacement), then Fiat will cover parts/labour or all of the costs in some cases.

If it's pulled apart by someone outside of the Dealer network, then it becomes more complicated and independant assessors may be required to inspect the damage before payment is forthcoming.

No, I pulled the head off - we were getting no-where with Fiat, and I needed to know whether it needed a whole new engine or just a head repair.

Quick question, and before anyone says i've done a search on the forum but cant find anything - oil quantity?

No, I pulled the head off - we were getting no-where with Fiat, and I needed to know whether it needed a whole new engine or just a head repair.

Quick question, and before anyone says i've done a search on the forum but cant find anything - oil quantity?

4.3 L for the mjet as far as i am aware

Well the engines out - took a bit longer than I'd hoped, but its all done, just waiting my new engine coming on Monday/Tuesday.

We weren't sure of the best way to remove the drive shafts, seems undoing the front bolt on the lower wishbone and pulling the corner out a little bit did the job.

So glad I've got a nice warm workshop at my disposal, couldn't do it without it - Thanks Carlin Motorsport!!

Back