Technical 1.9 Mjet engine failure

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9 Mjet engine failure

They removed the glow plugs, and saw that Mr Piston had made sweet love to Miss Valve....

Definitely needs a new engine.

I just got off the phone to Fiat UK who are looking into it to see if they can help in any way. I have to say that everyone from Fiat seems suprised and they're all very helpful.

Will have to wait and see what happens. I'm in China as from Sunday so wont have anymore updates till I get back.

Lets hope Fiat cough up some dollar!

I'm pretty damn sure that can only happen if some unfortunate event has taken place that changed the valve timing, such as a tooth or two coming off the timing belt or the tension of the belt being lost due to some other failure. I hope thay dont enforce the 4 year timing belt change rule rigidly Jos.

Anyway enjoy China... fun place I'm told ;)

They removed the glow plugs, and saw that Mr Piston had made sweet love to Miss Valve....

Definitely needs a new engine.

New engine, my arse! :cry:

Pistons won't be damaged as the valves are made of weaker material. Worst-case scenario is a new head, valves, buckets, shims, etc. Like Ffoxy said- for piston to valve contact, the belt can't still be timed right.

New engine, my arse! :cry:

Pistons won't be damaged as the valves are made of weaker material. Worst-case scenario is a new head, valves, buckets, shims, etc. Like Ffoxy said- for piston to valve contact, the belt can't still be timed right.

I hate to dispute with your statement but Ive seen on diesel engines where glow plug breaks up or for what ever reason the valve hasnt closed either be it a bucket or tappet siezed or for what ever reason a foreign body has entered combustion chamber and held valve open, and snapped head of the valve off and imbed it in the head but not before it jumping around and damaging head / pre combustion chamber in the piston and the metal swarf whilst this is all going on is scoring the bore nicely whilst the driver is changing down the gears trying to restart the engine not before flattening the battery.
It could still be timed fine if its only 1 valve / 1 cylinder thats failed !
Really the head needs removing and have a look properly but sometimes the labour involved in this to find its finished, could be put to good use in finding/funding the new/replacement engine

Last edited:
I hate to dispute with your statement but Ive seen on diesel engines where glow plug breaks up or for what ever reason the valve hasnt closed either be it a bucket or tappet siezed or for what ever reason a foreign body has entered combustion chamber and held valve open, and snapped head of the valve off and imbed it in the head but not before it jumping around and damaging head / pre combustion chamber in the piston and the metal swarf whilst this is all going on is scoring the bore nicely whilst the driver is changing down the gears trying to restart the engine not before flattening the battery.
It could still be timed fine if its only 1 valve / 1 cylinder thats failed !
Really the head needs removing and have a look properly but sometimes the labour involved in this to find its finished, could be put to good use in finding/funding the new/replacement engine

Of course, having a valve head break off or foreign debris bounce around the combustion chamber will wreck the pistons. There's no denying that.

I'm talking about if the pistons and valves meet alone (as in the case of a belt failure). Being positioned directly overhead, the flat faces will suffer little, if any damage, and the forces usually either bend the valve stem or push it through the bucket and shim. ;)

Thats exactly my problem - it'd cost a few hundred quid for Fiat to investigate further, to try to fix the top half of the engine, just to find the bottom half is ruined. And thats £300 I dont have, let alone £1k for an engine, or £3-4k for Fiat to fit a recon unit.

We'll see what they say on Monday.

Hopefully there will be wifi so I should be able to log on at some point whilst i'm in HK.

One of the springs in my sofa has just gone. Fiat won't pay for that either.

In UK law the claim is not against Fiat, but against the dealer who sold you the car. It has to be 'fit for purpose'. If you bought it privately, it's your bill. What did the seller say?

'did a few laps at a track day'

ah yes. :eek:

Last edited:
cars get clocked by people so they fall in line with warreny repairs, problem is the cam belt dosent get changed according to the milage on display!

In UK law the claim is not against Fiat, but against the dealer who sold you the car. It has to be 'fit for purpose'. If you bought it privately, it's your bill. What did the seller say?

No need to be a condescending tool.

I bought it from a trader, but only because Fiat dealers dont tend to sell any Mjets around here, certainly not 56 plate ones.

I also doubt its been clocked, 6 months before I bought it, a 16k service was carried out, at the Fiat dealer which originally sold the car.

'No need to be a condescending tool.'

Apologies. I was trying to be helpful. However, as you appear to have a fascination for the male organ of generation which I do not share, coupled with a continued inability to comprehend UK consumer legislation, I wish you a good day, and every success in getting your broken car fixed.

I look forwards to reading the letter from Fiat's MD. Did you mention the track day?

Last edited:

Here is an idea, if you haven’t got anything nice to say why not keep your fecking mouth shut. The poor bloke has had just had his engine blow up and now has got a huge bill coming his way just before Christmas. The last thing he needs is some smart as pillok giving him a hard time.

So Fiat wont pay for it because I bought it outside of the dealer network. Nice.

Currently awaiting response from a letter to the MD of Fiat UK.....

That's very tight. Could understand them saying they can't pay for it all, but surely a contribution wouldn't kill them. Have you mentioned you've had more than one of their cars?

I didn't buy my car from the dealer network either - like you say, most sell base model Puntos and tonnes of 500s, with a token Panda lurking if youre lucky, very little chance in getting a decent specced one, at least near here (which isn't THAT far from you). But even so, Fiat offered me £300 worth of vouchers to put towards future work when the springs went on my Stilo & ripped the tyre to pieces.

I can't see how, given the seriousness of the failure, they havn't offered anything at all. Have you had it serviced yet or not had it long enough?

No, I havent had it long enough. I've mentioned in this letter that its my 3rd Fiat, and my families 4th - I made my sister buy a 1.2 mk3 Punto.

I've also offered to pay for fitting of the engine, if they supply it - which I can do myself.

Oh, and its a Hyundai I30 1.6 Diesel. But I managed to make it so the insurance is free...

Back