Technical 1.9 150hp Swirl Flaps?

Currently reading:
Technical 1.9 150hp Swirl Flaps?

DamnScouse

As per the title, do these engines definitely have swirl flaps? I can't find much information online specific to these cars

If so, is it just a generic Swirl flap repair/delete kit for 1.9 16v JTD engines that you buy?

It's a 2008 reg, 150hp 1.9 16v model

Thanks

Hi,
Yes they do have Swirl Flaps. There are two versions of the inlet manifold, metal with a external linkage and plastic with internal linkage. On the metal intake you can see the linkage from the top of the engine. This suffers from the linkage coming off, but they can be set open and sealed. The plastic ones have metal flaps that can come off and be ingested into the engine causing damage. There is more info in the Croma section e.g. https://www.fiatforum.com/croma-ii/449682-swirl-flaps.html. Delete kits are available for both types, a google or ebay search for Vectra C Swirl Flaps will brin up lots of information. The Vectra used the same engine.

Robert G8RPI.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Robert! I was never 100% sure what cars used the same engine and about the different intakes, you've definitely cleared that issue

:hug:

I just think that our Robert is the most law-abiding, Croma driving, Fiat Guru that ever walked on this Earth.
I just LOVE his contributions to this Forum a lot!
( Gives me a grin or laugh every time I read his posts...!! :D )
So what's wrong with that?

:hug:

I just think that our Robert is the most law-abiding, Croma driving, Fiat Guru that ever walked on this Earth.
I just LOVE his contributions to this Forum a lot!
( Gives me a grin or laugh every time I read his posts...!! :D )
So what's wrong with that?

The fact that your enjoying it too much perhaps.....so let's stick to swirl flaps if you don't mind please (y)

g8rpi I've had a look and it appears I have the plastic manifold, so have the internal swirl flap mechanism, I'm obviously worried about them failing and destroying the engine. Is it possible to buy the metal manifold, blank them and then fit that? Are they interchangeable?

@g8rpi I've had a look and it appears I have the plastic manifold, so have the internal swirl flap mechanism, I'm obviously worried about them failing and destroying the engine. Is it possible to buy the metal manifold, blank them and then fit that? Are they interchangeable?

Hi,
Sorry I don't know if the plastic and metal manifolds are interchangable. Thay probably are but there may be different length fasteners etc. ePer lists two variants but does not say what the difference between then is. It appears to be a fair bit of work to take them off.

Robert G8RPI.

Hi,
Looked into this a bit more and cannot find any direct evidence of the plastic manifolds being fitted to Fiat Cromas, but there was a modified manifold design. This is why ePer lists two parts. There is a good vauxhall picture here https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?132774-smell-of-exhaust-fumes
Which shows the linkage
and my metal manifold looks like this,
eng-inlet.jpg
I've arrowed were you look to se the rod and circled the "throttle body" end of the manifold were you can see it's cast alloy.
Are you sure yours is plastic?

Robert G8RPI.

Hi,
Looked into this a bit more and cannot find any direct evidence of the plastic manifolds being fitted to Fiat Cromas, but there was a modified manifold design. This is why ePer lists two parts. There is a good vauxhall picture here https://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?132774-smell-of-exhaust-fumes
Which shows the linkage
and my metal manifold looks like this,
View attachment 188096
I've arrowed were you look to se the rod and circled the "throttle body" end of the manifold were you can see it's cast alloy.
Are you sure yours is plastic?

Robert G8RPI.

I'll post up a pic of mine if someone would like to see what it looks like with the swirl flaps deleted.

br,
Dan.

Back