Technical 1.7td exhaust manifold gasket

Currently reading:
Technical 1.7td exhaust manifold gasket

dave1951

Haynes manual says to disconnect an oil pipe before removing manifold. Can it be done without doing this, I only want to take manifold off the threads. If no, where is this pipe, is it accessed underneath car or from above???

Get a small mirror and a torch and check it out from all angles. But why would disconnecting the oil pipe be such an issue?

If any of the manifold studs are rusted replace them. In fact, replace the lot. Mine are stainless with normal steel nuts and and spring washers and doing fine.

Dont use stainless nuts on stainless studs they either fall off or self-weld and wont come apart.

Last edited:
New to turbo diesel repairs. Started out as sorting water leak in return pipe. Was a push fit in 1997 but not now!!. Came out via wheel arch with pump. Breakers yards failed to return calls for replacement pipe. Taken 3 attempts to get correct new gasket. Getting frustrated. Haynes manual makes it look so easy.

Haynes often take the engines out of their cars to get better pictures. Then they only picture the easy/obvious stuff and never properly cover the niggly bits we need to know.

I did my HGT 1.8 16V cylinder head, new exh valves, variator and cam belt without the manual. Not easy but straightforward if you are careful & take your time.

The diesel exhaust manifold will come off with the turbo so the oil feed and drain pipes will have to be disconnected. Be very careful to not leave any loose debris (carbon etc) in there when you put it back together.

Back