Technical 1.4 V8 2009 - power steering cuts off / Error: C1002-17

Currently reading:
Technical 1.4 V8 2009 - power steering cuts off / Error: C1002-17

Mobi11

Hi everyone,

I've bought Grande Punto 1.4 v8 2009 recently. Nice little city runner I had to say.

But.

Like in the title. Power steering cuts off and error pops on the dashboard. Turning engine off and then on will bring power steering back. So far it happened only once but seller mention this problem and apparently his mechanic told him it's because battery is too small for the car.
Battery was replaced not long ago and its this one:

12V 42Ah 390A Yuasa SMF

Today I finally had a moment to connect MES and there is an error C1002-17:

Screenshot (79).png

Is this really be caused by battery being too small?? I was not able to find any information in service book regarding spec for battery replacement. Most of the on-line stores recommends 55 Ah / 500 Amps for this car tho.

Obviously I will follow MES hints and check wiring/fuses/weak connections hopefully this weekend.

----

What is actual recommended battery spec for this model?

Well if not battery or wiring then torque position sensor will need replacing ?

I know power steering is an common issue with this car but I hope maybe someone here had in the past exactly the same error and could say some more.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

May
Or
May not help

42Ah 390A

55 Ah 500 Amps for this car tho.

First of ignore the Ah it’s not a standardised test and pretty meaningless

What important is the CCA which is a standardised test

The only info I could find was this

171751130BATTERY
[40AH-300A (EN)]
171751133BATTERY
[50AH-360A (EN)]
171751141BATTERY
[60AH-540A (EN

But no model against them

I assume the highest is the diesel

So 360A should be safe

By far the simplest way is to swap out with a good know first. It’s the only way to reliably eliminate or confirm a battery. Comes up almost weakly in the Panda section when the temp gets low. As of yet nobody has come up with a reliable was to test the battery. Several have gone down multi blind alleyways due to the battery being tested fine at a garage. Unless you can see a pattern to when it fails you can’t even make an educated guess.

Hi everyone,

I've bought Grande Punto 1.4 v8 2009 recently. Nice little city runner I had to say.

But.

Like in the title. Power steering cuts off and error pops on the dashboard. Turning engine off and then on will bring power steering back. So far it happened only once but seller mention this problem and apparently his mechanic told him it's because battery is too small for the car.
Battery was replaced not long ago and its this one:

12V 42Ah 390A Yuasa SMF

Today I finally had a moment to connect MES and there is an error C1002-17:

View attachment 415395

Is this really be caused by battery being too small?? I was not able to find any information in service book regarding spec for battery replacement. Most of the on-line stores recommends 55 Ah / 500 Amps for this car tho.

Obviously I will follow MES hints and check wiring/fuses/weak connections hopefully this weekend.

----

Well if not battery or wiring then torque position sensor will need replacing ?

I know power steering is an common issue with this car but I hope maybe someone here had in the past exactly the same error and could say some more.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Hi did you solve it , what kind of errors pop up on the dash? Best regards

Back