General 1.4 Petrol tested in Autoexpress today

Currently reading:
General 1.4 Petrol tested in Autoexpress today

The 3 door dynamic went up against new Clio, Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris & Ford Fiesta. It came 3rd. Clio was the winner, Jazz 2nd. Scores were OK (3 for engine / performance, 4 for driving experience, 4 for design & quality, 3 for practicality (3 door remember) & 5 for costs (well over a grand cheaper than the Fiesta and more like 2 grand cheaper than the rest)).

They said it had a comfortable & supportive driving position (off clutch foot rest at last).

The usual double standards applied though. They said the plastics were brittle but said it didn't rattle & squeak like the Clio.

Warranty is now 2 years with 1 year AA & Fiat have dropped the Grande prior to launch(???)

No contest as to which I'd have given those Brera style door mirrors & Masser headlights!!

If only the dealers can get it right (big ask).

Cheers,

Last edited:
Wooohoooo, and Auto-weakspress test. Let me guess, the Punto was marked down for having an awkward hatch release lever or a stereo with buttons not big enough for old-giffers to change the station.

I'll wait for the Authority to do a full report thanks (Autocar, in case anyone needed reminding) rather than the 'Myopic weekly'

JTD Monkey said:
Wooohoooo, and Auto-weakspress test. Let me guess, the Punto was marked down for having an awkward hatch release lever or a stereo with buttons not big enough for old-giffers to change the station.

I'll wait for the Authority to do a full report thanks (Autocar, in case anyone needed reminding) rather than the 'Myopic weekly'

Autocar. You're having a Turkish? The biggest pile of anti Italian cr@p I've ever had the displeasure to subscripe to! I cancelled it after Xmas and have missed it like toothache :-(

I read it today, kinda of made me laugh they spoke quite highly of the punto and then marked it average at the end. But with the clio the amount of negative things they wrote about it made me laugh and then they mark it top! :rolleyes: and as for the comment about the clio being stylish! what are they comparing it to a skip?

Where was the safety score? With punto scoring top for pedestrian and occupant safety.. Maybe they had to miss that or they would have had to score a Fiat as better than the public fav - the 'cool' Jazz or the 'va va voom' Clio

Plus the 1.4 petrol is only 1/2 the story. Diesel performance is the key selling point of the punto so why test the ordinary 1.4 petrol?

As for styling goes i know which one i'd choose in less than a split second :p

New%20Clio.jpg
:yuck:

punto-fr-115.jpg
:eek:

and yes hellcat was only the 1.4 testing. The clio is a 16v and the puntos a 8v so they need to wait till the punto gets the 1.4 16v 95bhp under it :) it'll take out the french trash then...

Clio:

Test Scores: Front 14 (88%) Side 18 (100%) Belt Reminder 1 Overall 33 Pedestrian 9 (25%) Child Protection 39 (80%)

G.Punto:

SCORES:​
FRONT 14 (88%)
SIDE 18 (100%)
SEATBELT REMINDER 2
OVERALL 33

CHILD OCCUPANT PROTECTION​
SCORE: 35 (71%)

PEDESTRIAN PROTECTION​
SCORE: 19 (53%)

I.e. nothing in it.

Grr, annoying that ncap switches between results style!

Clio 1.4 16v is already 96bhp so why would it take out the "french trash"? Can't blame autoexpress for testing the top of the range petrol punto and the midrange Renault petrol!

Between the interiors I definitely know which I prefer, in terms of the exterior I am not sure, not much in it for me. Punto looks stupid in 5dr guise and too thin from the front (given the shape of the grill etc.), in 3dr guise from other angles possibly looks better.

sbaddison said:
Warranty is now 2 years with 1 year AA & Fiat have dropped the Grande prior to launch(???)

The grande punto booklet i have from fiat says 2 years unlimited miles manufacturer warrenty and then another year or 60k miles from the dealer.

Same as its always been basically or at least i know my stilos 3rd year wasnt as good as the first 2 :rolleyes:

The Negotiator said:
Clio 1.4 16v is already 96bhp so why would it take out the "french trash"? Can't blame autoexpress for testing the top of the range petrol punto and the midrange Renault petrol!

Between the interiors I definitely know which I prefer, in terms of the exterior I am not sure, not much in it for me. Punto looks stupid in 5dr guise and too thin from the front (given the shape of the grill etc.), in 3dr guise from other angles possibly looks better.

Read the article your self and your see they say any of these top 3 cars could have claimed victory, but the punto was marked down for its performance so when the 16v 1.4 comes out to match the clios engine, why shouldnt it beat it?

77bhp 8v vs 96bhp 16v Ok its the best they can do at the moment.

95bhp 16v vs 96bhp 16v Better comparison

Well, not according to stats and general reviews, I have never driven a 16v Renault since we deal with diesels.

I am glad you have seen a 5dr clio picture! The ones I have seen (and I have looked!) are all at odd angles and show it to be nice, but no side on views...

Bob in disguise said:
Read the article your self and your see they say any of these top 3 cars could have claimed victory, but the punto was marked down for its performance so when the 16v 1.4 comes out to match the clios engine, why shouldnt it beat it?

77bhp 8v vs 96bhp 16v Ok its the best they can do at the moment.

95bhp 16v vs 96bhp 16v Better comparison

But then you could equally say "why not test the top of the range petrol that Renault offers then?"

I won't bother getting the article, I base few opinions on what others have to say about such things, and to be honest, if people on here did, they wouldn't be driving Fiats. It means nothing to me that the Clio won, it also means nothing to me that the clio is slated on a Fiatforum by people who haven't even been in one/will automatically hate it as it is the direct competitor.

But the clio II is widely accepted as being one of the best handling hatchbacks ever?! If you think that's a skateboard what do you want from a car?!

see my slash remark Bob :)

Ive driven a my mates new clio, poo, loads of rattles.

Also driven my other mates V6 :devil: Now thats a different story. :yum:

Back