General 1.4 in 1.2?

Currently reading:
General 1.4 in 1.2?

Has longer stroke as well, and is usually FBW (no throttle cable).

In theory it's a straight swap. In practice, the 1.4s have a bigger flywheel and clutch, and you won't gain anything unless you get the ECU remapped.

You'll be extremely lucky to find a 1.4 short engine, and unless you can find more info on the cams, why bother swapping heads? Doing so without the proper timing tools is a recipe for disaster.

Jus swap the wole engine put the 1.4 16v in then use the 1.4 ECU gearbox will fit fine 200mm flywheel and clutch are used on the 1.4

U can get the imobiliser removed from the ecu before u put it on many places will take it off

Last edited:
i think this is a good idea and far more worthwhile than messing about with bolt on bits here and there, to try and get some extra power.

i'm with Brin total engine swap is going to be the order of the day to keep things simple. you might be able to get away without a remap if you can swap the chip from the 1.4 ecu over to your 1.2 ecu, if not you might have to explore other options.

if you budget £500 for an engine a couple of hundred for labour ecu alterations etc the value of your car if you where to sell it now and compare that to the cost of buying a 1.4 sporting i think you would find the new car = cheaper and far easier option. and with no need to haggle out a deal with your insurance co

there is currently a nice Mk2b 1.4 sporting in yellow on Autotrader for £1400 which also has the added advantage of sports seats, Air conditioning the sporting bumpers and skirts etc

Last edited:
Back