Technical 1.2 better than......

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 better than......

I'm at it again! :p

Lol, thought you'd all like to poke fun at either my car, me, or maybe my mate who lost in a straight drag race to me!

1.6 Focus, driver only, 1.2 Stilo 3-door, me and a mate! He could keep up with me, but couldn't gain on me, until 100mph at which point i decided that i wanted to also rub his nose in the fact i was going faster than him and getting more economy!

Oh how i laughed, my mate too, as i kept saying, "look.... still not 100!" I was in 4th gear, 5th and 6th are such a waste when you want to go quickly.

Oh and before you all think he was toying with me, he was pissed i'd had him for breakfast.

If i'd be in any other Stilo i'd clearly have left him for dust, but i held my own, and thats all that matered! Jason and Goliath effort i thought.... :D

Going by offical 0 - 60 times, the focus 1.6 takes 11secs to reach that speed while the stilo 1.2 3d is meant to take 13secs to reach 60.

Could be intersting as to the hows and whys :)

By 60, if the focus stopped accelerating, it would be at least 16 car lengths ahead, the best parkers time for the focus is 10.1. Obviously in reality it would be more like 20+ car lengths ahead by 60, that's the difference 2-3 seconds makes up to 60. It will also carry on passed the top speed of yours by 8mph.

On top of that, the focus is lighter (without even considering you had an extra passenger it's 20kg lighter), has more BHP, more torque.

From the figures, either he wasn't trying/trying to a different level to you or there is something wrong with his car.

what about fuel levels between the two cars as well?

Im not sure what to think over parkers listing about 3 different performance figures for the 1.6 0 - 60 times

Oh well, even thought my mate told me he was going for it, and was pissed i'd kept in front. We were on dual carriageway so its not like i was blocking him! Oh and he couldn't pass me!

Maybe i should have video'd it, mind you you'd all claim it was hoaxed!

If your going to quote facts and figures on 0-60 times, put some calculations down. Just like at School the answer isn't what gets you all the marks, its the working out! How/Why should we believe what your saying?

AND!!! If your going to quote 0-60 facts for Focus as tested by Parkers guide, fine, but only if you've got equal relevant quoted figures for the Stilo, otherwise its futile!

Last edited:
Some times I really do wonder about you.

We're not at school stiloboy, this is the real world, where my laguna won't take on a impreza up to 100. If I say it will, it makes no difference since the numbers overrule any **** I could say about it.

Why should I put calculations down, it's only basic maths. The figures are free to view on the internet, do you really just think I went and found focus stats and thats it, I ignored the stilo information? That would be stupid. You know what, I will even do it out of memory so I apologise if I get something wrong:

Stilo 1.2 3dr
1090kg
0-60 13 secs
Top end 107
80BHP
Can't remember torque, think it was 110NM

Focus 1.6:
1070kg
0-60 between 10.1 and 10.6 i think
Top end 114mph
98BHP or similar
torque about 145NM

If you want to go and see this data, www.parkers.co.uk

It's DATA, i.e. confirmed infomation, it shows that (quite clearly) he would be 20+ car lengths ahead - you can do the maths to check it, I didn't want to patronise you.

Either his car needs checking over or his driving style wasn't as quick, in an out and out drag, the 1.2 will not keep up - everybody else knows that.

StiloBoy said:
Oh well, even thought my mate told me he was going for it, and was pissed i'd kept in front. We were on dual carriageway so its not like i was blocking him! Oh and he couldn't pass me!

Maybe i should have video'd it, mind you you'd all claim it was hoaxed!

If your going to quote facts and figures on 0-60 times, put some calculations down. Just like at School the answer isn't what gets you all the marks, its the working out! How/Why should we believe what your saying?

AND!!! If your going to quote 0-60 facts for Focus as tested by Parkers guide, fine, but only if you've got equal relevant quoted figures for the Stilo, otherwise its futile!

MAtt, that is about 100 actual speed and you could have had a nice wind or a slope, on a flat road with no wind, the punto will top out at 96mph under it's own speed. It would actually top out at it's rev limiter in 5th if it had a long and steep hill, but under it's own power, it can't reach that limiter in 5th.

Trust me, a lighter more powerful car with a renowned chassis will built a heavier less powerful car(!!!).

Re: Why's..............................

Never mind that i've been backed up by a fellow 1.2 owner! Because different manufacturers have massaged their 0-60 figures the Neg will believe them before anything else! :p

We could get all theoretical and use math, but it proves very little! Real world is what its about! Math wise i believe to work out theoretical 0-60 you take the weight of the car divide it by BHP and then multiply by 0.9. Gives fairly realistic times for sporty motors, can't vouch for other motors!

Back