Technical 1.2 16V 188A5 won’t start after fuse box cleaning

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 16V 188A5 won’t start after fuse box cleaning

gbrfarkas

Hi!
I try to be as brief as I can be but there are a lot of details.

I’m writing cause I have read tons of threads related to ‘Car security failure - Loose connection’ in terms of 1.6 engined Stilos.
Now I got the same with my 1.2 petrol but some details are different from those in other threads.

[ FACTS ]

- I have been owning the Stilo for two weeks now and have no diagnostics tool at all, so sorting out what’s happening is quite challenging.

- It all started with a ticking noise coming from my cluster when the car was turned off and no key in the ignition switch.

- I thought it could be a good idea to clean the fuse box under the hood (has nothing to do with it but this action solved tons of problems on my Astra H GTC, so - what can go wrong - I decided to do so).

- I detached the negative cable from the battery and the red power supply from the fuse box. I dismounted and cleaned the box with a contact cleaner spray then let it dry for hours under the sun. I took photos of every phase and put everything back in the same order.

- After this, the car displays ‘Car security failure - Loose connection’, padlock symbol, yellow triangle, engine control light not showing at all anymore, fuel pump does not start in MAR, it cranks but does not start.

[ WHAT I DID TRYING TO SORT THINGS OUT BUT THE PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS ]

- I bought an instrument cluster, an engine bay fuse box, a BCM, an ECU, a key and a cabin fuse box from a breaker. I also got a half cable harness that has been cut before the point it runs into the cabin from the engine bay so I could measure and compare it to mine.

- I checked the other key without the remote controls.

- I removed the transponder and put them closer to the immo ring.

- I checked the voltage on the immo ring, it was about 3-4 V.

- I checked the intertia switch, it is fine.

- I cleaned all the ground connections.

- I cleaned everything around the positive and negative connectors of the battery.

- I swapped the fuse boxes with the ‘new’ ones.

- I put a meter to some points and I can confirm that
- T9 and T10 relays are not triggered; there is no power to fuel pump;
- there is no broken wire between the pin 87 of the T10 relay and the pump, it shows a continuous contact even through the D4;
- pin 85 of T9 relay shows about 3-4 V of voltage on MAR;
- pin 85 of T10 relay shows about 0,08 V voltage on MAR;
- I cannot measure a ground connection on the pin 86 of the T9 and T10 relay;
- there is no broken wire between the pin 87 of the T9 and T10 relays and the blue connector of the ECU (I am bad in knowing what pin numbers are exactly called).

- I cannot proceed the emergency start process because I have no engine light.

[ WHAT I SUPPOSE ]

- As replacing the fuse boxes to the ones from the breaker did not solve the problem and I did nothing else but cleaning the engine bay fuse box, I suppose that there were some old wires around there that broke when I disconnected and moved them but cannot find it.

- Having no engine light, neither before the triangle appears nor after it, I suppose that the ECU is not receiving power.

- My conclusion is the same after not having ground on the 86s (these are CAN triggered ground as far as I know).

[ QUESTIONS ]

- Which wire should I examine?

- What happens if I swap all the stuff (ECU, BCM, key transponder, instrument cluster) from the other car? (It was an 5D with no AC, mine is a 3D with manual AC everything else is the same.)

- Should I keep the battery connected or remove it, in case there is a short circuit?

Thank you

Last edited:
@Davren @Maxcaddy do you have any ideas? Should I start exploring which wire is broken?
I found some info here:
And the pins in the pic in the attachment, but they do not seem to have any connections according to the link.

I am totally confused and just want to make the car move by its own to a garage.
Of course, solving the issue would be the best but I lost all my hope…

Attachments

• 6DD53180-7192-442B-AD0F-7652EA40766C.jpeg
    6DD53180-7192-442B-AD0F-7652EA40766C.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 49
Update

D4 transmits connection on each pin between the two parts of it.

All the wires are fine between the D4 and M10A and M10B except for the followings, which were not connected on my spare harness either:
D4 A3 to M10A 28
D4 A4 to M10A 60
D4 C4 to M10A 43
D4 C5 to M10A 11

Issue still persists.

There are two 3-pin connectors under the fuse box in the engine bay that connect in the middle of the box. A grey and a blue one.

Which one is closer to the engine and which one to the wheel?

I start becoming uncertain, if I swapped them…

I’m afraid I don’t understand clearly :(
Could it be a reaction to being disconnected. The immobiliser now needing a reset. If someone tried to steal the car it might do this to prevent theft by disconnecting??

You must have 12-14 volts on pin 86 for the T10 relay to works and supply the fuel pump.

You mean, the pin 85 right? I’ll check it soon ;)
When the car key is on MAR position the coil is supplied with 12-14 volts on pin 86 and with aprox 0 volts on pin 85.
0 volts came from ECU it is start of fuel pump. When this happens the contact between pin 30 and pin 87 is ON and the fuel pump is supplied with 12 volts from battery through 150 A fuse and 15 A F21 fuse.

When the car key is on MAR position the coil is supplied with 12-14 volts on pin 86 and with aprox 0 volts on pin 85.
0 volts came from ECU it is start of fuel pump. When this happens the contact between pin 30 and pin 87 is ON and the fuel pump is supplied with 12 volts from battery through 150 A fuse and 15 A F21 fuse.
Thanks @aschiuta
I made a measure again with the following results.
(Had no chance to examine the ignition switch due to lack of time today. Tomorrow my electrician will come to see it.)

When the key is in MAR:
T10 85 - 1,7 V
T10 86 - 0,08 V
T9 85 - 12 V
T9 86 - 12 V

(Maybe, I made a mistake when listing the measures in the original post OR something has changed.)

Last edited:
Thanks @aschiuta
I made a measure again with the following results.
(Had no chance to examine the ignition switch due to lack of time today. Tomorrow my electrician will come to see it.)

When the key is in MAR:
T10 85 - 1,7 V
T10 86 - 0,08 V
T9 85 - 12 V
T9 86 - 12 V

(Maybe, I made a mistake when listing the measures in the original post OR something has changed.)

Is it indicating a short circuit? Where?
For both T10 & T9 the 12 volts on pin 95 came from fuse F16=7.5A. This means the link on pin 13 and 29 and 86 from bloc B1 connector C is not a link it is like a bad contact. Something not good on contact from pin 86 of T10 to pin 13 of connector C. Even the coil of the T10 relay can be bad. Try to change the relay.

Attachments

• T10.jpg
    T10.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 51
[ UPDATE ]
Car starts and running fine.

Thank you @aschiuta for drawing attention to F16.

Checked the ignition switch, it was OK.
As I wrote earlier, I checked the fuses several times.
There was connection between the plugs of F16.
There was connection between the pins of the 7,5 A fuse, I put into its place.
In my last desperation, I bought some fuses and replaced the F16 for a brand new one.
An suddenly… engine light was back again.
The pump still did not start but I replaced its the fuse (which I have checked several times, too) for a new one.
And then… in MAR: engine light on, pump starts, no error message, I turned the key to start in full of excitement and the engine started.

Thanks again for the help and the knowledge you all shared.

Back