Technical 1.2 better than......

Currently reading:
Technical 1.2 better than......

Sure his Focus isn't a 1.4? They are sloooooow!

I've diriven both 1.6 and 1.8 Focus' and they weren't slow, BUT, as with all 16v petrols of that size they needed to be revved, maybe your mate drives like some of my mates and thinks his engine will detonate above 4000rpm?

One of my mates used to have a golf GT TDI, which he was quite quick in, but now has a new GTI, and I honestly reckon I could have him simply because he doesn't know how to utilise the engine!

I've never driven a 1.2 Stilo, but I have driven a 1.4, and I'd say the Focus 1.6 had more go.

There's nothing wrong with a 1.2, but it's no road rocket either (Not that any Stilo really is!)

Nah he definately has a 1.6. But as you've said before, most if it is down to how your drive your car! I thought the 1.6 Focus was a bit loud, and course! Rev it and it isn't as smooth as the Stilo. Which is why i don't mind using the revs when necessary! Plus the benefit of the 6 speed box is handy, lets you utilise the power you do have!

Changing gears whilst no odds in real world situations can hinder performance stats and drag races though, I swear mine would be much quicker 0-60 if I didn't need to change to 3rd.

James M said:
Changing gears whilst no odds in real world situations can hinder performance stats and drag races though, I swear mine would be much quicker 0-60 if I didn't need to change to 3rd.

Changing gears has no odds in the real world? Eh? Your needing your bed! lol! :p

I mean you miss or fluff a gear while racing a mate and you'll be eaten for breakfast, so yes changing gear in the real world makes all the difference! I've seen so many folk either short shifting or changing too late and loosing out in the real world. ;)

Gotta be his driving style my clio is quicker than the stilo i know got into enough sprints off the lights with various cars including stilo's. But i do need to really work the engine it doesnt get to drop below 4500rpm.

But having to change into 3rd to get to 60 does hinder performance takes a fair bit off the 0-60.

Last edited:
Yeah my Saxo hit 60mph in 2nd gear, made all the difference in 0-60's. See i've got a mate with a 1.2 Clio and i'd eat him for breakfast too, but thats because the Clio is also quite noisy over 5000rpm, whereas the Stilo is nice all the way to about 6000rpm.

Depends if its the 16v or the 8v clio and which of the models it is. Different weights etc.

The 16v i know from experiance has the stilo not by much though but it does need to be worked properly. Needs to be over 5000rpm to get any power really. And mines fairly quite to be honest at around 5000rpm i get a fairly nice sound considering its only a 1.2 But the stilo is a bigger heavier car. Guessing the 6 speed box does wonders for it.

But meh there both slow cars anyway.

but it was my first car and like any first car though doesnt matter what it is you still love it. But its getting sold soon and someones gonna be getting a good car. 1.2 16v version in platinum pearl colour kinda a silver / blue changes in the light a bit looks more blue when its dirty though with 14000 miles on the clock and its a late 2002. Gonna be kinda sad to see it go. But then think im getting something thats bigger more comfortable and with a bit more power to it.

Remind me never to buy a Stilo 1.2 16v in Sassi grey as it is bound to be sha99ed-out.

Stilo Boy, sometimes I love you; sometimes I don't :p

Back