1.2 12v 3 Cylinder VW/Seat/Skoda Lumps

Currently reading:
1.2 12v 3 Cylinder VW/Seat/Skoda Lumps

hey guys id figure id put this on here for any of you guys who own/ knows somebody who owns these little engined cars. some examples are

VW Lupo
Seat Arousa
Seat Ibiza 02>
Skoda Fabia
etc. etc.

I've been working on a 52plate Ibiza the past couple of days with a STORED P0106 (Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem) DTC. the symptoms were a rattly tickover, unstable tickover (intermittently cutting out when cold), increased fuel consumption and sluggish performance.

Traced it to a mechanical issue as they don't have loads of sensors and lets face it VW's don't very often fail on knackered sensors. so did a bit more digging and traced to a suspect slipped timing chain. a peer into the cam inspection caps at the g/box end of the engine confirmed cams weren't properly aligned. so the timing chain jumped a couple of teeth:bang:. the mileage doesn't seem to be a constant I've found reports of 40,000 right upto 150,000 (who does 150,000 miles in a 1.2 in 9 years!!!:eek:) this one had done 72,000.

some VW forums say this:-
16490/P0106/000262 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms
Erratic Idle

Possible Causes
Wiring and/or Connections from/to Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96) faulty
Leak in Air Intake and/or Exhaust
Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96) faulty
Engine Control Module faulty

Possible Solutions
Check Engine Control Module Software Version (See Special Notes for Details)
Check Timing (See Special Notes for Details)
Check Wiring and/or Connections from/to Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96)
Check for Leak in Air Intake and/or Exhaust
Check/Replace Manifold/Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71)/(F96)
Check/Replace Engine Controle Module

Special Notes
On certain smaller Engines we've seen cases where a buggy Engine Control Unit Firmware can cause these fault codes, additionally there are known Problems with the Timing Chain Tensioners which can also result in these fault codes.

I use Andrew Page for my bits and, even at over the counter, prices aren't too hard hitting (cant wait for my trade card to come thru)
Timing Chain Kit £80
Crank Seal £10

After fitting the new chain kit i found the forward most guide runner has been modified so that is longer. it prevents or, at the very least, minimises the risk of the timing chain jumping teeth again.

After looking at how the setup is from the factory i suspect that if the oil pressure drops too much the oil fed tensioner can't do it's job. the tension drops off the front run of the chain and momentarily snags on the 'short' guide. off loading the chain from the exhaust cam sprocket, the cam jumps 'x' amount of teeth (seems to be pot luck whether its 1,2,3,4 or more teeth, but probably dependant on engine speed at the time of incident) when oil pressure returns the slack is taken back up with the exhaust cam in the wrong position. the modified guide prevents the snagging when oil pressure is lost and sits close enough to the exhaust sprocket to prevent the chain from jumping off the sprocket.

I have got an AWY,AZQ,BMD & BME Engine Workshop Manual in PDF format that i found kicking around on the internet (its actually for the Skoda Fabia, but they all use the same engines) if anyone is interested drop me a PM/Email and ill share.

hope this helps someone out

Back