General *1.1 Active Eco*

Currently reading:
General *1.1 Active Eco*

Yep, making the 1.2 Panda group 4 on the 1-50 scale. Most reviews quote the 1-20

edit; what i meant about not understanding the 1-50 scale is comparing it against the 1-20 as that is what i know, but i guess that with many cars becoming far safer it's more difficult to compare a group 2 car against another. It takes into account the image of the car to a possible theif, how easy it is to break into, standard anti-theft, safety.. the list goes on, so perhaps that's why the scale has become much wider!

Last edited:
I always look on here for group ratings

http://www.thatcham.org/abigrouprating/

Insurance group 1-20 is what you should be looking at, i don't know much about the 1-50 without doing research. i10 is either group 2 or 3, my 1.2 Eleganza is group 2. Not much in it really, i10 or Panda 1.2

Not looked at the link but I always thought the elganzas are group 3 under the old system?

I've always looked at that since i was 15.. two years before i got a car :eek:
It's the Association of British Insurers, so it's pretty accurate. Reading 'reviews' or cars online is often one or two groups higher than it really is, having said that they often use a prefix after the group i.e A,D,E etcetera.. (it does say on that website where it ends and what it means) meaning you can tell if it is in a lower group because of safety, or higher because it's easier to break into :) (Not necessarily making the car less safe ;)

I've always looked at that since i was 15.. two years before i got a car :eek:
It's the Association of British Insurers, so it's pretty accurate. Reading 'reviews' or cars online is often one or two groups higher than it really is, having said that they often use a prefix after the group i.e A,D,E etcetera.. (it does say on that website where it ends and what it means) meaning you can tell if it is in a lower group because of safety, or higher because it's easier to break into :) (Not necessarily making the car less safe ;)

Yeah I'm sure it's the Fiat catalogue that said group 3 come to think of it. Lol.

I do admit, before i bought my Panda i thought it was group 3.. so maybe it's been revised. But also, i think they predict a rating based on tests before the car goes on the market and maybe see how the car falls later on. Either way, for a young driver it's a very good way of looking for a car that's easy(ish) to insure. After all, they say what group it is.. not which car, wikipedia, your local garage etc. :)

Oh ok, i thought as you had modified your car you were some 18 year old chav. :devil:
Hah, me, a chav - no ;) 38 y/o qualified professional and company director, plus fingers in a few other pies :D

Still, it means I can run my Panda through my books as being self-employed plus claim capital allowances on it. Restricted for private usage, obviously ;)

Panda proves the pick of the bunch.
The utimate smart, cheap car of the year so far? It’s the evergreen FIAT Panda ...
Mr Money(Mike RUTHERFORD): Telegraph/motoring 2011/01/29 p.M8

Suzuki responds …

Cheap, not nasty – thank you Japan
The Suzuki Alto SZ3 has just inherited the title of the best value, most affordable car in Britain. At just £5,995, the little five-seater from the underrated Japanese firm is now £300 cheaper than the officially and heavily discounted FIAT Panda 1.1 Active Eco. Although it was only a fortnight ago that I described this version of the Panda as the “ultimate small, cheap car of the year so far”, Suzuki dealers (or some of them) have responded by undercutting the FIAT – and everything else on the market.
With the withdrawal of the £5,799 Perodua Kenari late last year, the £5,995 Alto is now the least expensive new car in the UK and looks certain to remain so while Suzuki and its dealers collectively pay the 20 per cent VAT on behalf of their customers, as well as offering additional sweeteners.
Some of Suzuki’s London dealers (020 8464 3456 or 020 8303 1234) are selling the SZ3 at £5,995 on the road, and I understand that official dealerships outside the capital are offering it at the same price.
Consumers can also buy the car on credit after putting down a deposit of £899 then paying the balance (including £1,555 of interest charges) over three and a half years. Although the finance is not great at 12 per cent APR, the price of the car, including loan charges, over 42 months totals £7,550 – less than £6 a day. But don’t forget this sum buys the car outright after three and a half years at which point it can be sold for perhaps £3,000.
I rarely recommend a car or motoring-related product solely because it is the cheapest but at, £5,995 – that’s less than the price of some mobilty scooters or ultra-lightweight bicycles – the Alto SZ3 is the exception.

Mr Money (Mike RUTHERFORD): Telegraph/motoring 2011/02/12 p.M8

He misses the point that the Panda is also £5995 and unlike the Alto is not bade by cheese.

Back