General *1.1 Active Eco*

Currently reading:
General *1.1 Active Eco*

Check out the insurance groups compared to fiats the basic hyundai 1.1 starts at group 8,while the fiat panda starts at group 1? .

Check out the insurance groups compared to fiats the basic hyundai 1.1 starts at group 8,while the fiat panda starts at group 1? .
The basic i10 is a 1.2 these days.
Anyway the insurance group is irrelevant. If you're buying a Hyundai you're old enough to get cheap insurance. :p

Missus pays less than £300 for the i20

Don't think the i10 can be group 8 - that seems wrong.

My Panda is group 1 and it does make quite a big difference to my premiums :). Still pay £850 though.

OK done some research the i10 is group 8 but that is the new group 8. They changed the ratings last year so they now have more groups, think it is about 50 in total.

So group 8 is still low.

The Panda 1.1 Active is group 1 but the 1.2 Active is now group 4, the dynamic is group 6.

It all seems a bit messed up.

For reference the 1.3 8V Fiesta Ghia (59bhp) is group 9.

We have now found that the 1.2 Active is more expensive to insure than the 1.1 but not sure if it makes any difference in the real world, for most people probably no more than an extra £50 a year. For the better engine it is worth it.

A 140bhp 2.0 206 GTI is group 28.

List of the only group one cars (new ratings)

Chevvy Spark 1.0
Citeroen C1 1.0
Fiat Panda 1.1 and some of the earlier 1.2s
Corsa 1.0 (06 onwards)
VW Fox.

Most people buying a small car are after "Cheap motoring" so £50 is quite a lot.But if your a young driver which quite a lot of panda/500 drivers are the insurance group matters a great deal.Sometimes a thousand pound or more between groups.

I am 28 but only been driving for just over two years, I live in the middle of Manchester and the car is insured for business purposes, so it will always be quite expensive.

I did do some mock quotes for my 25 year old sister and pretended she had just passed, a C1 was £1500 a year to insure, a £400 Fiesta was £2500 a year to insure, so even with finance the brand new C1 was cheaper as a £400 Fiesta will always need a about £300-£500 spending on it each year.

I believe many young drivers don't realise that they can save a fortune on insurance by driving a car like a Panda.

Best compromise for cheap motoring would probably be a three year old Active with some warranty.

I had an i30 classic hire car last year, not sure what the engine was. The styling was just dead and didnt do anything for me. The interior plastics were very cheap and scratchy and no thought was gone into the design. The engine was very noisy and rough. However it was solidly put together and you just cant argue with that fantastic warranty. I think Hyundais are great cars if you just want a reliable car with a fantastic warranty. But if you like your cars with a bit of style (dont mention the Coupe as its horrible) then you should look elsewhere. Even though the Panda is a cheap car it has great Italian styling. The interior is very stylish and well designed and so is the exterior.

I can't remember the exact figure but it is £86 a month I imagine a lot of that is APR though, I need to save so I have the cash next time.

It is around £800-£850 though. Most companies wanted £2k+. I have only been driving two years so I think that is why my premiums are so high.

Also when did you last renew? Insurance on average increased 33% last year.

I can't remember the exact figure but it is £86 a month I imagine a lot of that is APR though, I need to save so I have the cash next time.

It is around £800-£850 though. Most companies wanted £2k+. I have only been driving two years so I think that is why my premiums are so high.

Also when did you last renew? Insurance on average increased 33% last year.

I renewed last September and I got the blimming increase. Was £300 per year before that. So had an increase of £71 which is around percentage increase you mentioned. Thieving b'stards.

I've been driving nearly 22 years and have about ten years NCB. Still a complete rip off though.

Blimey you are paying £1032(!). If your quote was £850 that's a fair amount of interest for paying it monthly. I always do mine outright to avoid paying interest.

I renewed last September and I got the blimming increase. Was £300 per year before that. So had an increase of £71 which is around percentage increase you mentioned. Thieving b'stards.

I've been driving nearly 22 years and have about ten years NCB. Still a complete rip off though.

Blimey you are paying £1032(!). If your quote was £850 that's a fair amount of interest for paying it monthly. I always do mine outright to avoid paying interest.

I just don't have the cash to pay it out right though. I paid my business insurance (£250 a year) on my credit card as they wanted 48% APR otherwise. When my cheques clear I can pay a lot it off.

This year I intend to do the same with car insurance, put some of it on credit card and pay the rest cash.

The main problem is I lost over £1600 on my old Corsa which I only kept for a year. It was costing me a fortune in repairs then the head gasket blew. I just knew then I didn't have the heart to buy another second hand car hence the new Panda.

I just want to spend this year paying of my credit card and making sure I have cash to pay for things like insurance by saving each money. I don't know when and if my premiums will ever come down.

did you shop around, i never stay with the same company for more then 2 years, as they always put it up,
I meant to - I have been driving since 1989 so I know what you need to do ;)...

....but September 2010 wasn't a good time for me (house move day before renewal, splitting up with ex), so ended up having to go with the renewal. Not helped by fact my car is modified, so harder to use price comparison websites because they tend to say 'CALL'. In the end, I paid the money - it wasn't worth my time to shop around, because that would cost more :)

I always look on here for group ratings

http://www.thatcham.org/abigrouprating/

Insurance group 1-20 is what you should be looking at, i don't know much about the 1-50 without doing research. i10 is either group 2 or 3, my 1.2 Eleganza is group 2. Not much in it really, i10 or Panda 1.2

Insurance group 1-20 is what you should be looking at, i don't know much about the 1-50 without doing research.
From that very website you linked to:

The Group Rating System

From January 2007, the process of expanding the range of insurance groups from the existing to 1-20 to a system using groups from 1-50 has begun.

Back