General 1.1 Active Eco

Currently reading:
General 1.1 Active Eco

vamppir8

Hi just wondering what max speed I should be doing in each gear. The engine is soo quiet I can hardly hear it and dont want to be thrashing it in the wrong gear (no rev counter either).

Thanks in advance.

cos im 19 i know what speed the engine bounces off the limiter in each gear except 4th and 5th

1st-30mph
2nd-60mph
3rd-got it to about 90

i swear it is electronically limited to 93mph as you can only do 93 even if in 4th and 5th

have reached a 100mph 5th which isnt advisable as the engine went nuts

i usually change gears at
1st-2nd= 10mph
2nd-3rd=just under 20mph
3rd-4th=about 25
4th-5th=30/40mph

Personally I cant see myself getting (or wanting to put the engine through so much to get) 90 mph in 3rd with my Active Eco. I would really have to cane it badly to get it that fast in third and even then it would have to be down hill getting a tow. The Actives top speed is only about 90 mph anyway so I couldnt see me getting that in third.

In fact I have never done over 70 mph on it which is the maximum speed limit on motorways anyway. Dont get me wrong I have been caught speeding plenty of times before and im no stranger to a lead foot. However I prefer not to speed and just cruise along and dart about town in my Active instead.

only got 100 down a big big hill about 20mins from oswestry

not the best idea as the tyres are rated to 100 i think although they rate the tyres slower than they can actually do for safety purposes,

9 in 3rd? Serious? Not even the Abarth does that, 80 to 85 maybe, and that has more than double the power, and the gears are long. Maybe your speedo is off? Personally i find Fiats engines quite adaptable, they will drive to suit your needs. For example, the Abarth can be in 5th at 30, as could the Panda MJ and the 1.4 could be in 6th by 30 too, so it all depends how you drive, and/or how much fuel you want to save! Rev the nuts off of it, or skip gears and be in top by 30, up to you.

pretty sure it was 90 in 3rd, personally didnt look at the speedo it was my mate who said it was doin 90 so i dunno it does sound extreme though

in 5th while cruising for a while at 70 i swear the panda produces more power because it pulls really well in 5th from 60 to 80 has anyone else noticed this?

it pulls really well in 5th from 60 to 80 has anyone else noticed this?
No. 5th (and 4th) on the 1.1 are for going the same speed as you were going before. Bit of a headwind or hill in 5th and you can be foot to the floor and still only doing 60.
2nd & 3rd are for accelerating in so much as the 1.1 does accelerating.

FWIW mine's been to an indicated 58 in 2nd & 80 in 3rd.

only got 100 down a big big hill about 20mins from oswestry

not the best idea as the tyres are rated to 100 i think although they rate the tyres slower than they can actually do for safety purposes,

Thought they're rated to 113?

Anyways thats irelivent as its all to do with what you have on your car, can get same sized tyres with different speed ratings.

Sisters 1.1 sat nicly at 95-100 on the flat on dual-carrage way when I had it.

Same speed as previous gear but lower rpm = less fuel used ;)

Not long after i got my new 1.1 ( about 800 miles on the clock ), i had it up to an indicated 115 mph when i was going down a long incline from Folkestone into the port of Dover just to see what it would top out at, but even then no limiter was coming in. I backed off fearing valve bounce...;), i was very impressed from such a small engine :worship:

Well the top end is 93mph and as I said I have got nowhere near that. I can vouch for the 4th and 5th gears. I was cruising along on a country lane when the car in front decided to drop from 60 to 50. I pulled out on a long stretch and dopped the gears from 5th to 4th and gave it some. In short I went nowhere, the engine note didnt even change and I just sat there. I had to very quickly drop it down again to 3rd and give it the beans and I finally made progress and got past.

I find the 1.1 really doesnt accelerate well on motorways or dual carriageways. It really shows its lack of power in these situations. I can be cruising along on the motorway at 70mph in 5th and when I reach any sort of incline the car dies. You can then drop to 4th and its a bit better but you really have to work the gears.

However in town and from 0 to 30 the car is like lightning. Its obviously made for the city and it must be geared for low down acceleration.

The 100hp has 6 gears though.

Does anyone know what the ratio's on 1-5th gear are on the 100hp compaired to the 1.1/1.2?

Was driving my 1.2 Duallogic the other day, and 50mph in 5th was 2500rpm iirc, where as in my 1.4 6 speed Stilo (similar to 100hp I believe), the rpm in 6th at 50 is 2000rpm, havn't tried it in 5th though to see if its the same/similar as the Panda at 50 in 5th.

Well I guess there is only so much 60bhp and not a lot of torque can do. Gearing will be generally lower as with a low powered car it needs the gear ratios to be lower in order to achieve reasonable acceleration.

I'm sure it's fine up to 30mph, but probably not any good at accelerating at speeds higher than that. When you get up to motorway speeds wind resistance plays a part as well. This is the problem with low powered cars at higher speeds as they just do not have the torque to pull the car up a hill, let alone accelerate. You'll know all about this if you've been on the M62 for example.

dont have any problems with the panda on a flat surface at anythin up to 80. but yea on a hill it just stops haha

Back