Technical Clutch Failure- Marea 2.0 20v ELX

Currently reading:
Technical Clutch Failure- Marea 2.0 20v ELX

JoeM

[?]
I bought one of these for my wife about a year back and so far it's been pretty reliable, apart from heavy on fuel and some squeaking. But that's ok, it's only for the school run really.

But now I have total failure: the clutch was doing some screwy things, too much play and so on, and if I pulled the clucth up it was back to normal.

As of yesterday, no more clutch pressure, it's just like a floppy...well, you know...

So what has happened? There are no self-repair guides available for the 2L Mareas, and nothing in the owners manual that gives any indication that the owner can self-diagnose such a problem.

The car is between services and has only done 44,000 miles.

Help???

MTIA,
Joe M, Bristol

You wont find a clutch cable on a 2.0 Marea its hydraulic. Look if the slavecilinder on the gearbox isnt leaking, but best is to change master and slave cilinder from the clutch.
Geert

Got a funny feeling that a small problem has turned into a bigger one..........

My Fiat mechanic matey told me...........

Theres a return spring on the clutch pedal which takes the weight of the pedal when not depressed. This regularly snaps........The resulting extra pressure is like riding around with your foot on the pedal and can wear the cylinders and the release bearing, which is why my release bearing is on its way out.

Did your pedal start dropping a few inches over night? and then when you pull it back up it was ok?? Thats how mine was then the release bearing started whistling as soon as there was any pressure on the pedal........

CP

5558.php

mine is the same, pedal dropped and its ok if i pull it up with my toe, but now every now and then it seems like there is a big resistance to me pushing the pedal,quite worrying, everything still works ok and no squeaking as yet, i'll check the spring you mention as soon as i find it.
hopeits not too late.

dave

I've now fixed this, quite easy really, except for getting the battery housing out (rusty bolts, too bloody many of them, a real bastard to get out).

The Slave Cylinder cost UKP31 from the Fiat Dealer in Bristol, the spring cost just 2.

If you get a new spring as well, put that in first. Then once the Slave is in, bleed the cylinder the same way as with the brakes - just pump the clutch slowly until there's no more air in the pipe, that's when you'll know it's full again. You can do this on your own, but you need to constantly ensure that you're topping the fluid up (every 7 or 8 "pumps" I reckon) or you'll empty the cylinder again (like I did).

JoeM

<blockquote id="quote"> face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by ddave
mine is the same, pedal dropped and its ok if i pull it up with my toe, but now every now and then it seems like there is a big resistance to me pushing the pedal,quite worrying, everything still works ok and no squeaking as yet, i'll check the spring you mention as soon as i find it.
hopeits not too late.

dave
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Back