General Tools required

Currently reading:
General Tools required

Status
Not open for further replies.
arseofbox said:
Head Bolts 13mm Hex or 1/2" (If head of bolt is buggered - but dont expect if back!!)

Gearbox drain plug 8mm hex drive, allen key recommended as is difficult to access with a key type drive!

The headbolt next to the oilfeed some 1/2" sockets do not fit. But good quality 3/8" will be able to take the torque.

Torque wrench

16mm Spanner for alternator bolts and some others.

12mm socket and spanner for some of the manifold bolts (the ones that aren't 13mm).

Check and fill gearbox oil...

12mm Key, EP80 gearbox oil and one of these:

ABCD0007.JPG

N.B this was the Beta version the next version worked much better with larger diameter hose :D

Front Hub:

18,19mm spanners for Hub-Strut Joint
17mm spanner for brake calipers plus Track Rod End and Wishbone balljoints and balljoint remover for above,
30mm socket and a bloody huge extension bar (Hub Nut)
12mm spanner for disc securing bolts

Starter Motor removal and refitting on Cinq and Sei SPI Sportings: -

10mm Spanner/Socket - removes the negative lead/undos one of the wires on the starter

13mm Spanner & Socket - for the three mounting bolts that hold in the starter motor/undoes the other wire on the starter.

NB The Haynes manual says to remove the front pipe to gain access, you DO NOT need to.

1. disconnect the negative terminal of the battery

2. Remove the top 2 visible bolts from the starter/bell housing

3. Jack up and support the front of the car (both sides) and remove the two wires from the starter

4. Remove third bolt from starter/bellhousing and pull starter through the gap.

Liam

dont you think someone should collate this information and put it in a sticky rather than a mish mash of different jobs at random. The information is handy but not well put together. Who runs the forum could they not create a sub section for the likes of this???

It has been mentioned but would need a Cento Section mod to edit and create a sticky. Suppose if the sticky was locked then by PM'ing future posts the sticky could be added too and not messed up.

Liam

any type of job can be done with a screwdriver set, spanner set and a 1/4 and 1/2 drive ratchet set with up to 24mm socket and allen type sockets. only other tools i've needed are spring clamps and a torque wrench. almost everything can be done with these tools

sorry if i sound over critical but as i said the information is great its just like many people i am sure when searching the net for things it can take a while to find exactly what your looking for. I suppose the ideal scenario if you were going to be doing work on your car and were unsure just pop into the forum print off the section you need and make sure you have all the tools before you start to save as one member comented putting his car back together to drive to halfords.

Stopping a squeaky alternator drive belt: -

Well, lucky for you I done the same job last week so heres a quick rundown of the job.

1. Jack front drivers side up, support with stand

2. Remove wheel

3. Remove arch liner completely

4. Use 16mm spanner or 5/8 AF to loosen top mount, you need to put the spanner under the belt to reach it but it's possible, you only get a little turn at a time but it's easier than dropping the engine mount.

5. Once looser, you'll feel the belt even slacker than it was before, use a large metal pole or something to lever the alternator back.

6. Tighten the mount again and check the belt for tension, you should still be able to twist it 10mm in the middle, too tight and it'll snap or shoot off, too slack and your back to square one.

Haynes tells you a fair bit too.

Liam

Last edited:
Changing front hub bearings

Ratchet, big master bar, 17, 18, 19, 32mm sockets and spanners, big hammer, small punch or something to remove the stake from the hub nut.

Take the hub carrier to a garage and get them to fit the bearing, lunchtimes or saturdays could see the garage doing it for very little.

Liam

Replacing rear springs/shock absorbers

Axle stand
Trolley Jack
Whatever you use for removing the wheel
Can of WD40 (use day before!)
19mm ring spanner (to counterhold the -- poorly -- welded on nut on the shocker mount)
17mm socket (to undo the bolt)
nylon scrubbing brush or similar to remove crud from spring seats

Small angle grinder, nail punch, hammer and full face shield (and replacement nuts and bolts) in case it all goes pear shaped. :cry:

mog1571 said:
i know it may sound stupid but what about doing a tool collection for a service and cambelt? its the kind of thing you dont want to get halfway through then realise you havent got a tool

IIRC theres nothing you need any specific tools for, other than usual screwdrivers, spanners and sockets, oh and a bit of imaginative swearing to help it all along!

bloomfieldliam said:
Changing front hub bearings

Ratchet, big master bar, 17, 18, 19, 32mm sockets and spanners, big hammer, small punch or something to remove the stake from the hub nut.

Take the hub carrier to a garage and get them to fit the bearing, lunchtimes or saturdays could see the garage doing it for very little.

Liam

Just to add: you need a deep 32mm socket (most factors stock black ones intended for impact drivers for £6 or so).

If you're stuck, Woolworths' own brand 3mm flat bladed screwdriver (see pic) fits virtually every small screw - plain and crossheaded alike - I encountered while I had my cinq. It even fits the hex bolts in the dash if you've forgotten/lost/don't have Allen keys.

Although I can't condone it:rolleyes:, it is an excellent tool if you are simply too lazy to find the correct sized screwdriver; but remember though - there is no substitute for having the correct tool for the job!

All this for less than a quid. Bargain.

For these reasons, It's good to have one just kicking around somewhere in the car as part of a general tool kit.

Attachments

• screwdriver.JPG
    screwdriver.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 15
Jamieboy said:
If you're stuck, Woolworths' own brand 3mm flat bladed screwdriver (see pic) fits virtually every small screw - plain and crossheaded alike - I encountered while I had my cinq. It even fits the hex bolts in the dash if you've forgotten/lost/don't have Allen keys.

Although I can't condone it:rolleyes:, it is an excellent tool if you are simply too lazy to find the correct sized screwdriver; but remember though - there is no substitute for having the correct tool for the job!

All this for less than a quid. Bargain.

For these reasons, It's good to have one just kicking around somewhere in the car as part of a general tool kit.

tell you what mate ive had cheap screwdrivers from woolworths that ive had for years long outliving stanley and such like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back