Technical 2004 Panda 1.1 active - Whining issue?

Currently reading:
Technical 2004 Panda 1.1 active - Whining issue?

Gman88667733

Privately bought a 2004 37k mike Panda 1.1 active today. Mostly seems okay and clearly been looked after, but noticed a weird inconsistent issue.
When accelerating, there is sometimes a loud whine that gets louder as the engine speed increases. It stops as soon as you press the clutch in. It does it when pressing the accelerator and when you take your foot off as well.
Some suggested power steering fluid may be low, or one of the belts may be at fault?
It gets really quite loud as the engine speed builds up. Seems to do it even when taking it easy and coasting sometimes too.
Very strange!
Any ideas?

Privately bought a 2004 37k mike Panda 1.1 active today. Mostly seems okay and clearly been looked after, but noticed a weird inconsistent issue.
When accelerating, there is sometimes a loud whine that gets louder as the engine speed increases. It stops as soon as you press the clutch in. It does it when pressing the accelerator and when you take your foot off as well.
Some suggested power steering fluid may be low, or one of the belts may be at fault?
It gets really quite loud as the engine speed builds up. Seems to do it even when taking it easy and coasting sometimes too.
Very strange!
Any ideas?

Hi. :)

Pas ..? no.. its electric ;)

Ours had a whiney alternator for 60k miles..

Does it squeal with cold starts?
that would be a slack..or badly worn belt

Charlie

How much would it cost to do the clutch release bearing? Is that likely to cause a major failure? We only paid £840 for the car.

How much would it cost to do the clutch release bearing? Is that likely to cause a major failure? We only paid £840 for the car.

Part of the clutch kit..

Kit around £80

But could be £300 labour

As I said.. drive it!!

It might settle down.. lack of use
at least you can rule it out as you go

Failure.. unlikely.. and would just need the same parts fitting.

Use it for a few local journeys..

Get a garage to listen..

Simple job :)

Where are you based?

Last edited:
It’s only done 2000 miles a year for the past 13 years.
Gotcha, I’ll give it a good drive for a while. Drives really smoothly, the gearbox is as smooth as silk

Just been for a drive. It is doing it more now I’ve had it and done to motorway drive home. It doesn’t do it in neutral freewheeling downhill, but it does do it in gear freewheeling. It does it slightly in neutral and revving, but not as bad.

Hi Gman

i would consider.

intake manifold leak at a gasket

gearbox input shaft bearing but the end away from the clutch.

clutch release bearing collapsing(ours disintegrated 18 months ago)

loose crankshaft pulley(fan belt end)

keep us posted

tim

if the sound goes exactly as you press the clutch pedal I would guess its the release bearing.

Fairly normal for them to loose there grease. When the outer race can spin freely different you can hear it manly on acceleration. Had a Punto like this. Still did another 25K before I had to changed it.

one of my car is like that but only on First start up. Been like that for 3 years.

A whining noise usually indicates a failed or failing bearing.

If the noise is present only when the clutch pedal is depressed, it's likely the clutch release bearing.

If the noise is present except when the clutch pedal is depressed. it's likely a gearbox bearing. (the shaft is partially supported by the relase bearing wth the clutch depressed, so the noise goes away; normally the release bearing just hangs loose).

From what you've posted, my money would be on a gearbox bearing, but I haven't seen the car and only a stripdown will tell you for sure. Either way, the repair is going to cost a significant proportion of the value of the car, unless you can do it yourself.

The economics of running older cars depends a lot on how much you can do for yourself. Mass produced A segment cars like the Panda have a design life of 10-12 years. After that time, they're essentially fully depreciated; their value is determined primarily by the length of MOT remaining. A good rule of thumb is about £100 + £50 for each month left to run.

It'll likely continue to be worth that for as long as it's kept roadworthy. The balancing act is whether you're spending more each year in repairs than it would cost to start again; breakeven is probably about £600/yr. How far £600 goes depends on whether you need to pay someone else's labour charges.

If this were my car, I'd take off the 'box and replace whichever bearing had failed; the parts are cheap enough. I'd likely replace the release bearing and clutch plate anyway, unless obviously worn - but that's because I can fix stuff like this myself. If I were dependent on a garage, and it had less than 6 months MOT left, I'd run it "as is" until it broke, then scrap it. With more than 6 months ticket, a garage repair is probably justified.

If it's got a short MOT and you still want to have it repaired, you might want to MOT it first, just to be sure there are no other nasty surprises lurking. This fault won't stop you getting an MOT.

Last edited:
How much would it cost for a garage to do such a repair? It has 10 months MOT left and previous MOTs have been reasonably issue free.
I chose this car over a car that was about £500 more, so I have some money leftover that I have set aside for repairs.

Going to do some testing today, but the sound always goes away when you press the clutch pedal in. It sometimes does it faintly when you press the clutch pedal in and then tap the accelerator pedal.

I can do basic maintenance and bits, but I don’t have the tools to do something like a gearbox bearing I wouldn’t think.

Last edited:
Part of the clutch kit..

Kit around £80

But could be £300 labour

As I said.. drive it!!

It might settle down.. lack of use
at least you can rule it out as you go

Failure.. unlikely.. and would just need the same parts fitting.

Use it for a few local journeys..

Get a garage to listen..

Simple job :)

Where are you based?

Labour rates vary hugely..

The difference on a 4 hour job:
4x£40
4x£100

On average, how much would you imagine a garage would charge for a gearbox bearing?

I’m in the South West, not far from Newton Abbot

Update - been and ran the car. Had it sat stationary and revved it from cold and the noise started, a loud whine from the alternator area which got louder and quieter on its own. Pressing the clutch in made no difference. But I’m sure it’s the same whine I’ve been hearing all along.
Weird?
I’ll try and record a video later when I get a minute

Here is a video. I’m sure this is the same sound as the other whine I mentioned.
As soon as I started the car, it was quiet for a few seconds and then this started and got louder and louder and fluctuated

Edit - file from my iPhone won’t work. I’ll have to change the file type later on

Last edited:
I had an alternator squeal for a couple of months on a family 1.1.
Changed the belt as it was the cheapest option, but no change.
Got another alternator to put it, and then the squeal stopped completely.
Hasn't come back in over 2 years/25k miles.

Car had been sat around for a while, only doing 2 short journeys once a week.

Still, it's good to have a spare one hanging around in case it's needed.

Back