General Converting a D to full roof

Currently reading:
General Converting a D to full roof

I am getting to the point where I will need to do a trial fit with the full sun roof.
For those of you with a D model, most will know that they generally came with a removeable hardtop section on the rear of the roof.
This was an addition to the original N model that was built with a full soft top.
The main differences being a welded in supporting rail for the hard top and also the sunroof mechanism is bolted on 2/3rds of the way back instead of the short roof mounts.
They obviously designed the car for this from the start as the inner frame has the pressings for the 2 locations on all models.
Only the captive nut was only welded in place for the specific model type - short or long roof.

So I now have to fit a captive nut at the 2 rear locations for the long roof mechanism.
I could just fit a compressed captive nut in place but this would allow no movement as it would be fixed.
Whereas the original ones have a sliding captive nut to allow adjustment.
Has anyone else ever carried out this modification?
If so what did you do?

Attachments

• 20190714_084143.jpg
    20190714_084143.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 102
  • 20190714_084201.jpg
    20190714_084201.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 61
Has anyone else ever carried out this modification?
If so what did you do?

Botch merchants simply put in a Rivinut or similar...

The normal Italian Practice is to cut out the original adjustable points and reweld it in the back position (previously they were cut from scrap cars so you could have either)
In the world of N's full Transformables carry a little bit more Kudos....
So one of the things that is always expected in a resto folder is pics of the original paint free forward mounting points....

Rather than cut the old ones out I knocked up some new ones to go in.

but if you welded and filled all the old mounting holes you could claim it was OEM and the only full Sunroof D that left the factory...

Back