Technical Panda 4x4 drive shaft bearing

Currently reading:
Technical Panda 4x4 drive shaft bearing

Multiodd

Hello,
If there is anyone here who can clarify the replacement of the drive shaft bearing for me before I go ahead.

Looking at some of the notes here, the drive shaft looks quite easy to remove. But would like to know for sure if the shafts themselves are just clipped together?

IE, they need just a small tap for them to separate and then have access to the centre bearing for its replacement?

If this isn't possible, how do they come apart if at all? I can see plenty of bearings on the internet and it would be alot cheaper than a whole new shaft at £250?

PS I heard the uv joint can also wear, which would mean I have to buy the whole thing, but for now (and my pocket) the bearing seems easy to do?

Here's one to be going along with.

Judging by the staked joints and fit permanently splines its probably better to get your shaft rebuilt with new bearing and new UJs or get a reconditioned shaft.

https://www.fiatforum.com/panda/432911-panda-4x4-how-replace-centre-bearing.html

I can't tell from the thread images, but it is possible the splines have a captive circlip and can be separated like CV joints from the gearbox. You could also consider a special split roller bearing, but they are not low cost and would probably need major modifications to the shaft.

This is an example but dont expect to find one cheap that fits your needs. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Split-Roller-Bearing-Assembly-New-Old-Stock-Part-Number-LSM40BR-462/352583591758?hash=item52179ea74e:g:WmgAAOSw1jpcVB2T

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hello,
Thanks for the advice, I've looked at the links available, but they go off on a tangent not suited to my needs :)

The drive shaft certainly looks like it will separate, the cv joints look to be all ok.

The problem I have is the bearing support, as one of the welded nuts it screws into is spinning so cannot be undone. I could cut off the bolt of how would a screw in a new one, as there is no access to the internal pats of this support?

Thanks,

Back