General Gear Box Problems Fiat Ducato Motohome 04 1st and 2nd gear

Currently reading:
General Gear Box Problems Fiat Ducato Motohome 04 1st and 2nd gear

WayneFletcher

I am having a problem selecting 1st and 2nd gear in my Fiat Ducato Motorhome 2.8jtd 2004 when changing down I am struggling to get into 2nd and is always going into 4th, when setting off I am struggling to get into 1st. Also the gear stick is stiff from left to right, this has only happened in the last 6 months. The motorhome has done 30,000 miles. I have had this to a mechanic who spray the linkages but this has had no affect. I would appreciate any help or advice.
Wayne

I am having a problem selecting 1st and 2nd gear in my Fiat Ducato Motorhome 2.8jtd 2004 when changing down I am struggling to get into 2nd and is always going into 4th, when setting off I am struggling to get into 1st. Also the gear stick is stiff from left to right, this has only happened in the last 6 months. The motorhome has done 30,000 miles. I have had this to a mechanic who spray the linkages but this has had no affect. I would appreciate any help or advice.
Wayne

Hi
The first thing I would do is to ascertain as to whether the trouble is in the selector cables, the gear lever mechanism or the gear box itself.

Disconnect the selector cables from the external selectors on the gearbox then operate the gear lever to see if it is in the box or the cables/ lever mechanism .

If when disconnected from the box selectors it is still hard to operate then it is obviously in the cables or lever mechanism if not then it tends to indicate it is the Gearbox itself.

If still hard to operate with cables disconnected from the selector levers on the box then disconnect the cables from the lever mechanism & operate the lever to see if it is in the lever mechanism then take the appropriate action to fix it - either the cables or the shift lever mechanism itself if this is the case - otherwise it is the gear selectors in the box.
It might also pay to check if the external selectors on the box & are not binding externally or something.

Attachments

• Gear Box Problems Fiat Ducato Motohome.doc
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,460
Hi Wayne
I am a new member to the Fiat forum site.
I have the identical problem,
Did you manage to sort this and if so what was it in the end
Many thanks
David

Wayne
Hi Wayne
I have same problem as yourself.
Did you manage to get yours fixed, if so how
Kind regards
David

These boxes are troublesome but easy to take appart and repair providing you have set of gear pullers or a press.

I have just done mine, it was 3rd gear syncro wire spring which was bent and caused 3rd to always sync which in turn made other gears hard to select especially 1st and 2nd

Back