Technical Ducato 2005 2.8JTD 5th gear ratio

Currently reading:
Technical Ducato 2005 2.8JTD 5th gear ratio

Gustav01

I've pulled my gearbox out as I've experienced a 4th gear block out. Now that the box is out, I've discovered the block-out issue which is an annoying baulk ring spring that snapped on the 3rd/4th Synchro. While opening the box I noted that the 5th gear had two snapped teeth, so I'd need to replace the gear.
I currently have the original 53/31 5ft gear and upon investigating the part numbers I noticed there was a new gear ratio of 45/33 published in 2004. I can't say that I ever had any issues with the 53/31 ratio apart from whenever there was a slight climb or crosswind I'd eventually find myself going down to 4th gear.

Has anyone done the gear ratio change with success? Any advice from anyone would be helpful.

The one benefit of the newer ratio is cost, the 45/33 is more cost-effective.

Looking forward to anyone's input.

I've pulled my gearbox out as I've experienced a 4th gear block out. Now that the box is out, I've discovered the block-out issue which is an annoying baulk ring spring that snapped on the 3rd/4th Synchro. While opening the box I noted that the 5th gear had two snapped teeth, so I'd need to replace the gear.
I currently have the original 53/31 5ft gear and upon investigating the part numbers I noticed there was a new gear ratio of 45/33 published in 2004. I can't say that I ever had any issues with the 53/31 ratio apart from whenever there was a slight climb or crosswind I'd eventually find myself going down to 4th gear.

Has anyone done the gear ratio change with success? Any advice from anyone would be helpful.

The one benefit of the newer ratio is cost, the 45/33 is more cost-effective.

Looking forward to anyone's input.
@Gustav01 ,
I seem to have overlooked your post. I have yet to carry out the change, but I think that you may be interested in the attached document.

Attachments

• Ducato Fifth Gear Modification..pdf
    78.4 KB · Views: 56
Back