Register Login
im Axle Specialists
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 28-01-2017   #31
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,513
Thanks: 60
Trader Rating: 0
SB1500 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

The Ignis looks great!

Avoid the Citigo, it's got very bad responses from former (older) Panda owners. Must find the thread and link it to you!
__________________
2017 Fiat Panda Easy 1.2 - 21,050 miles
2005 Fiat Panda Dynamic 1.2 - 153,700
SB1500 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 28-01-2017   #32
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 2,513
Thanks: 60
Trader Rating: 0
SB1500 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Quote Originally Posted by Goudrons View Post
I'm not at the correct age for a Jizz, there's some time to go yet.
I've never seen one driven by another under the state pension age!
Though I admit that an auto 'box becomes more tempting with each passing year.

I'm keeping my eye out for something, but she's ruled out my idea (my best so far) of a Merc Sprinter fitted with LazBoy's, bar and plasma screens!

There's no rush at the minute, got a couple of trips to sort out and pay for first and it could be Mrs Goudrons will be changing jobs soon.
This might come with the use of a car, but it will definitely come with the use of more cash!


Saw a beautiful Jazz yesterday.. remembered what everyone says about being over 65 to own one... walked past it on the way back and an old, senile man approached its drivers door holding a key!!! It's true!!! I thought to myself.

Still, I like em!
__________________
2017 Fiat Panda Easy 1.2 - 21,050 miles
2005 Fiat Panda Dynamic 1.2 - 153,700
SB1500 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #33
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,175
Thanks: 274
Trader Rating: 0
Goudrons has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Well thought I'd update the situation.

Nothing much has happened as we've both been busy, then had a bit of a break away, but some decisions have been made.

First off we looked into Voluntary Termination (VT) of her current PCP deal.

She had just met the figure at which VT could be done without owing any outstanding finance (figure is top right of the first page of the contract), though the car would need a few tickles to the paint on the bumper and alloy wheels first, otherwise we'd (well me really!) be charged for "damage" beyond reasonable wear and tear.

(See BVRLA website for details of expected condition when handing back either on VT or just if you hand it back at the end of the agreement. Trade in for a new car is different)

We got some quotes for these and they weren't as bad as I thought, small SMART repair to a bumper rub that had gone through the paint and three wheels needing attention, you're ok with a bit of rim damage, but spoke scrapes are a no no.

The company that quoted even told us to hang on before having the work done, "get it done as near to handover as possible", which I thought was nice.

There'd be a £70 collection fee from FCA and any "GAP" premiums outstanding would need settling. (that started a row, as she copped for GAP from the salesman without telling me, it's far cheaper elsewhere if anyone is really interested).

When all was worked out, the car has cost us just under £110 a month to effectively lease, not too bad really.

After all this mucking about, it turns out her mother wants our car and her brother wants her mothers, a 10 plate Eco Dymanic, but will get the tickles sorted before we pass it on.

As for a replacement, we've narrowed it down to a medium "crossover" with a petrol engine.
Looked at a few and the Qashqai or Ateca seem to stand out above the rest.

The Duster isn't that far behind and we both like the no nonsense and lack of badge of them, but the amount you pay over a PCP is quite high as they have a lower GFV and a higher interest rate, for the same monthly payments, you can get a car on 0% (Qashqai) that's 6 or 7k dearer!

BTW the 1.4 Ateca really is a hoot to drive, it's not quite up to modern hot hatch performance, but it does feel a bit like it when it's thrown into corners, but it does have too firm a suspension for all our traffic calming though, but I'm still tempted!
Likes alex19577 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Goudrons is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #34
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Beccles, Suffolk
Posts: 2,356
Thanks: 197
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Sounds like it's all working out nicely

I tried to get my wife interested in an Ateca to replace her horrid V50, but she turned her nose up at the build quality (she's an engineer, so I bow to her considerable expertise on that score) and the interior (which is admittedly very bland and bargain-basement-feeling). Pity, as she loved the two Leon Mk1s that she had. SEAT also make you pay £££ for a 4wd Ateca, which she's keen on having. The 4wd versions take you into a different price category altogether. She's now looking at X1s and GLAs - gulp - but she works damned hard for her money, so I reckon she can have what she wants. Just grateful that I managed to persuade her that Evoques are overpriced, and largely driven by the kinds of women she doesn't wish to be associated with!
Likes SB1500 liked this post
__________________
Barchetta LE (no 2468), 1998, Silver with Red Hood and Red Leather Interior, Hardtop, Wind-stop, Novitec SS Exhaust
Panda Cross Twinair, 15 Reg, in glorious Yellow , replacing a much-loved yellow DS3 DSport THP

Last edited by gar074; 20-03-2017 at 11:10.
gar074 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #35
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Endmoor
Posts: 804
Thanks: 50
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Thanks for the update. Maybe get money off your mother in law and pay finance off. Then just update the V5 doc. Is it worth having bumper and alloys done, I haven't but I own mine. Look forward to Italian Panda pics if you have any. I'd ask if anyone at Seat head office running around in an Ateca with a few miles on. Still get PCP with cheap finance. Hope you get something nice.
Thanks AndyRKett thanked for this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Al D is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #36
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,175
Thanks: 274
Trader Rating: 0
Goudrons has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

I don't mind a bit of thriftiness here and there inside, as long as it's hard wearing trim, it makes it the more tolerable to my size 9 boots caked in mud and can take a bit of gentle mistreatment!

If the PCP deal on a Duster didn't work out so expensive, I'd be onto that in a shot.
It's the sort of car you don't have to worry about as it has no prestige, yet it has all the bits and pieces you need, all wrapped up in hard plastic, it's dreamy!
The added bonus is, not matter what you do to it in contract, it's almost worthless at the end, so you might as well use the bumpers as parking sensors (like my feckin' neighbours do)

I gather the build quality of Seats have improved quite a bit over the years and almost all of the greasy gubbins are VW.

All Seats engines appear in all VAG products, from Skoda's to Audi's and I reckon build quality will be better than the Qashqais, who seem to have an major issue with the unquenched thirst for oil in their 1.2 Dig-T, the engine we'd be interested in and seem to suffer a host of other issues am now starting to read about.

Qashqais are built in Britain and that's starting to worry me!
Though it's sister car, the Kadjar is French built and I can get nearly 4k off one via Bluelight card, the looks don't float my boat and some of the kit is unlikely to last.

I've only ever had one Asian car, a 5 door 1998 Rav4 and that was truely awful.
A Space hopper would have been more comfy and the famed reliability wasn't what I expected at all, so I'm edging towards European, once bitten and all that.

All these sorts of cars hike their prices to eye watering levels for 4x4 versions and most only offer them with diesels and/or top trim level.
They also don't really offer the mud plugging ability one might expect, think more grassy verges outside of schools sort of thing rather that waist deep in cow ****.

We're keeping our 4x4 Panda a while longer, it does what I need it to do and is looking/working fine, even after it's off road excursions, but the first sign of issue and it's going, I'm just not into messing about with vehicles any more.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Goudrons; 20-03-2017 at 11:59.
Goudrons is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #37
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,175
Thanks: 274
Trader Rating: 0
Goudrons has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Quote Originally Posted by Al D View Post
Thanks for the update. Maybe get money off your mother in law and pay finance off. Then just update the V5 doc. Is it worth having bumper and alloys done, I haven't but I own mine. Look forward to Italian Panda pics if you have any. I'd ask if anyone at Seat head office running around in an Ateca with a few miles on. Still get PCP with cheap finance. Hope you get something nice.
That's the plan, no mother in law jokes please, she's a lovely woman!

We'll still get the odds and sods sorted, after all she's getting a new (to her) car and we want it to look the part before the 30 second warranty ends!
I also ordered a few bits to smarten her's up for the brother in law. new set of wheel trims (what is it with the women of this family and kerbs??).


I didn't get many vehicle pics this time, just a couple of a rather neat looking classic 500, I'll post that when I get more time.

To be honest, I was getting weary of Panda spotting over there.
The running joke of the white Pop that someone kept overtaking and parking futher up the road worn thin, even on me!

Though there were a few models we don't see here, the natual gas ones (with my IBS I could run one for free!) and the stripped out, base spec 4x4s with no centre bumper or side moulding were dotted around.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Goudrons is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 20-03-2017   #38
2017 Panda City Cross
 
murphyv310's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kilmarnock
Posts: 1,094
Thanks: 71
Trader Rating: 0
murphyv310 has donated!
murphyv310 is an honorary friend of the forum :)
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Hi.
The Dacia Sandero was one of the cars I put on my short list prior to purchasing the Panda. I had a £6000 budget and could have bought a base model, or so I thought. As this car could well be my last car purchase I wanted one that I liked but body-wise would last the pace. So off I went and looked at the earliest of the models I had on my list.
Panda
Sandero
Kia Picanto
Hyundai I10.

For the money the Sandero was the biggest but on two 63 plates I looked at there was rust under the bonnet on the seams, on the seams around the front struts and on the folds under the doors. On a car that was to be a "keeper" it didn't fare well. The Duster has had more serious complaints with rust and although they moved production from India to Romania who knows if the problems have been addressed.
The Kia has a legendary warranty but one 61 plate (new shape) at 70.000 odd mules had rust on the lower part of the front wings so that was off the list.
The Hyundai's I looked at seemed OK but I didn't like the vibration from the 3 cylinder unit, to be fair the Kia was the same as they share their engines. The 1.2 four cylinder engined cars were over priced too.
This left the Fiat's I looked at one 62 plate pop at 97,000 miles in Arnold Clark and left highly impressed, for it's mileage there wasn't a spot of rust and I was thorough, only a couple of paint chips and this was on a white car.
Mechanicals dont bother me too much as they can always be fixed but rust can be a pain. I also looked at a 500 but although it would have been great for us both it is not practical to get an ageing person in the back.
I eventually settled on the Panda I have and got it less than budget.
So far I have added a spacesaver wheel, Sill protectors, LED lights here and there and have ordered a rear bumper protector.
So these are my findings, also be wary of any resale value with Dacia as the talk in the trade is they depreciate quicker than similar sized cars.
__________________
http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-uk/917112.png

Cheers Trevor
murphyv310 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-04-2017   #39
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,175
Thanks: 274
Trader Rating: 0
Goudrons has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

After all this time with three Pandas, this is the first time we've had all three parked up next to each other, facing the same way.

The axe hangs over the red Lounge, it's days are numbered.
It's off to the mother in laws on Thursday, but we'll be allowed to visit it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0579.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	3.43 MB
ID:	179078  
Likes Tom95, JCarp16 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Goudrons is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-04-2017   #40
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 798
Thanks: 13
Trader Rating: 0
JCarp16 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Mother-in-Laws = Sword of Damocles?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

JCarp16 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-04-2017   #41
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 798
Thanks: 13
Trader Rating: 0
JCarp16 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Quote Originally Posted by Goudrons View Post
After all this time with three Pandas, this is the first time we've had all three parked up next to each other, facing the same way.

The axe hangs over the red Lounge, it's days are numbered.
It's off to the mother in laws on Thursday, but we'll be allowed to visit it!
What's the white one with the yellow mirrors? Is it an Antarctica?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

JCarp16 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-04-2017   #42
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: East
Posts: 1,421
Thanks: 59
Trader Rating: 1
The Panda Nut has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Quote Originally Posted by Goudrons View Post
Well my commander in chief's Panda Lounge is coming up to three years old and she wants another car.

As we've three Pandas at the moment, it been decided that perhaps a slightly bigger car with a tiny bit more space and comfort might be better rather than a straight Panda to Panda swap.

Her must haves:
Bluetooth Hands free phone connection
A higher riding position.
Places to dump stuff she'll never ever use.
Places to hang annoying trinkets from.

Her must haves (that I think)
15 or 16" Steel or at least non diamond cut wheels for ease of repair.
Lots and lots of body cladding.
Parking sensors, maybe with camera.
Easy clean interior.
Easy clean exterior.

My hopefully haves (not important to anyone but me)
Smallish petrol engine, probably turbo charged.
Sat nav.
Cruise.
Low road fund and decentish mpg.
99 years warranty, but more would be better.
Small enough to park on our crowded street, but not flash or tempting to all the toe rags.

We've had a look at a few cars already and dismissed some others (Nissan Puke for one)

Fiat 500X.
Nice, but neither of us are sold on it's looks and seeing as they've priced it and aimed it at the "looks" market, it's a bit more expensive than we both think it should be.
The deals on them are quite poor, we managed a healthy discount, but still the PCP deal was coming out expensive, probably due to a much higher interest rate.
The three year depreciation doesn't look great either, which adds to the higher deal cost.

Skoda Yeti.
Quite the opposite of the 500X in looks, you only need to squint a little and it could be a small van. (not a bad thing in my book)
Again it's £20k ish for the right model, PCP deals are ok but discounts are hard to come by.
The depreciation rate looks better and that does help with the PCP deal.
Skoda/VW seem to have sorted their small petrol engine woes out.

Renault Captur.
All the kit is there or available on lower, cheaper models as cheap options (whether it will still work in a week in another matter)
Prices are very keen £3k lower than the above 500X and on top of that we've been offered £3200 discount at the dealer or 19% off through NHS-Blue light card.
This all makes the PCP nearly half the price of the 500X even factoring in their depreciation and apart from the odd reliability niggle in the back of my mind, they look rather good.

While we were in the Renault dealer, we had a look at the Dacia Sandero Stepway, it wasn't on the look at list, but when in Rome!

While it's easy to dig a bit and see some of the cheaper trim and paint, it isn't really that bad.
I saw them advertised and due to my age, immediately though 1980's Skodas, Yugos and Ladas, cheap and nasty cars with expensive never never repayments, but the Dacia doesn't come across like that at all, just a tidy cheap car that looks fairly good.

It's the same engine and gearbox as the Captur, in top trim it has all the kit (probably the same parts fitted to the Renault) and ignore the badge and the "STEPWAY" graffic on the door (better than penguins and hopefully will come off just as easily) it doesn't look bad.
The new grill and lights really do pick up the car's looks.
Space inside, particularly the boot and elbow room is good and it comes with 5 years warranty.

But what's really bugging me is this:
We could lose the total cost of the Stepway in three years
(but it's more likely it would be around 75%, well ok 80% after she's ramraided Tesco once a week )
and still lose less money than what we'd lose on the 500X over the same period and for 70% less than the monthly PCP payment of a 500X.

I've even managed to find a deal with 9% off list and they tell us they don't do discounts!

SWMBO isn't even aware of the concept of bagde snobbery so I'm going to line up back to back test drives and keep my mouth shut!

Anybody got any other Crossovers that you think we should consider?
Panda Panda Panda!

My Uncle has a Yeti which has been very reliable for quite a few years now. Aunty drives this and finds it easy too she is 80+ and likes things straight forward. Have another friend with a 1.2 Turbo Yeti she also loves it. I have been in this one and was quite Surprised how well it goes for a 1.2 its also been very reliable over five years with no issues.

Hope this is of help.
Likes SB1500 liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

The Panda Nut is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-04-2017   #43
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,175
Thanks: 274
Trader Rating: 0
Goudrons has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Quote Originally Posted by JCarp16 View Post
What's the white one with the yellow mirrors? Is it an Antarctica?
Yes, they are from left to right:
Benito the 2012 Pop 1.2
Giuseppe the 2014 Lounge 1.2
Alfonso the 2014 Antarctica 4x4 Twinair minus penguins!
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Goudrons is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 02-04-2017   #44
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 798
Thanks: 13
Trader Rating: 0
JCarp16 has donated!
United Kingdom 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Quote Originally Posted by Goudrons View Post
Yes, they are from left to right:
Benito the 2012 Pop 1.2
Giuseppe the 2014 Lounge 1.2
Alfonso the 2014 Antarctica 4x4 Twinair minus penguins!
Yes. I thought so - but couldn't see the penguins so I wondered if it was a 4x4 that you had modified. Love those wheels! 👍
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

JCarp16 is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 03-04-2017   #45
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
Thanks: 153
Trader Rating: 0
Netherlands 
Re: Two out of three ain't bad

Quote Originally Posted by Goudrons View Post
Well my commander in chief's Panda Lounge is coming up to three years old and she wants another car.

As we've three Pandas at the moment, it been decided that perhaps a slightly bigger car with a tiny bit more space and comfort might be better rather than a straight Panda to Panda swap.

Her must haves:
Bluetooth Hands free phone connection
A higher riding position.
Places to dump stuff she'll never ever use.
Places to hang annoying trinkets from.

Her must haves (that I think)
15 or 16" Steel or at least non diamond cut wheels for ease of repair.
Lots and lots of body cladding.
Parking sensors, maybe with camera.
Easy clean interior.
Easy clean exterior.

My hopefully haves (not important to anyone but me)
Smallish petrol engine, probably turbo charged.
Sat nav.
Cruise.
Low road fund and decentish mpg.
99 years warranty, but more would be better.
Small enough to park on our crowded street, but not flash or tempting to all the toe rags.

We've had a look at a few cars already and dismissed some others (Nissan Puke for one)

Fiat 500X.
Nice, but neither of us are sold on it's looks and seeing as they've priced it and aimed it at the "looks" market, it's a bit more expensive than we both think it should be.
The deals on them are quite poor, we managed a healthy discount, but still the PCP deal was coming out expensive, probably due to a much higher interest rate.
The three year depreciation doesn't look great either, which adds to the higher deal cost.

Skoda Yeti.
Quite the opposite of the 500X in looks, you only need to squint a little and it could be a small van. (not a bad thing in my book)
Again it's £20k ish for the right model, PCP deals are ok but discounts are hard to come by.
The depreciation rate looks better and that does help with the PCP deal.
Skoda/VW seem to have sorted their small petrol engine woes out.

Renault Captur.
All the kit is there or available on lower, cheaper models as cheap options (whether it will still work in a week in another matter)
Prices are very keen £3k lower than the above 500X and on top of that we've been offered £3200 discount at the dealer or 19% off through NHS-Blue light card.
This all makes the PCP nearly half the price of the 500X even factoring in their depreciation and apart from the odd reliability niggle in the back of my mind, they look rather good.

While we were in the Renault dealer, we had a look at the Dacia Sandero Stepway, it wasn't on the look at list, but when in Rome!

While it's easy to dig a bit and see some of the cheaper trim and paint, it isn't really that bad.
I saw them advertised and due to my age, immediately though 1980's Skodas, Yugos and Ladas, cheap and nasty cars with expensive never never repayments, but the Dacia doesn't come across like that at all, just a tidy cheap car that looks fairly good.

It's the same engine and gearbox as the Captur, in top trim it has all the kit (probably the same parts fitted to the Renault) and ignore the badge and the "STEPWAY" graffic on the door (better than penguins and hopefully will come off just as easily) it doesn't look bad.
The new grill and lights really do pick up the car's looks.
Space inside, particularly the boot and elbow room is good and it comes with 5 years warranty.

But what's really bugging me is this:
We could lose the total cost of the Stepway in three years
(but it's more likely it would be around 75%, well ok 80% after she's ramraided Tesco once a week )
and still lose less money than what we'd lose on the 500X over the same period and for 70% less than the monthly PCP payment of a 500X.

I've even managed to find a deal with 9% off list and they tell us they don't do discounts!

SWMBO isn't even aware of the concept of bagde snobbery so I'm going to line up back to back test drives and keep my mouth shut!

Anybody got any other Crossovers that you think we should consider?
CitroŽn C4 Cactus.
__________________
There are Pretenders among us.....
Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.
The Pretender is online now Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(Tu) Springs ain't what they used to be! evo-number-one Croma 24 31-03-2014 20:33
(G) Quiet around here ain't it! oopsadaisy 500 (Classic) 13 26-11-2009 21:12
(T) Oh no! This ain't good grizzly_panda Panda 55 28-06-2008 18:54
(T) Ain't Got No.................Redline!!!!! Stuart87 Bravo / Brava 5 09-10-2006 11:42
(G) Alex...She ain't well..... coolhand_mike Uno 1 01-12-2004 11:28