Technical Flashing mileage counter and lose of bluetooth hands-free.

Currently reading:
Technical Flashing mileage counter and lose of bluetooth hands-free.

SiloSean

I appreciate that I'm going be told that this has been covered many times. However, I have read a lot of the posts and I whilst I realise that it will be the blue&me unit at fault, I would very much appreciate people experiences.

The mileage started flashing making me think to start that maybe it needed a service. But soon realised that was not the issue, had a read for possible problems, low and behold, couldn't use the phone hands free. So it's fairly obvious that I have a blue&me error.

How many on here have managed to get it to reset by disconnecting the battery? How many of you have had theirs repaired? Did you send it away? If so where to? Was it truely plug in and play?

Many thanks.

I appreciate that I'm going be told that this has been covered many times. However, I have read a lot of the posts and I whilst I realise that it will be the blue&me unit at fault, I would very much appreciate people experiences.

The mileage started flashing making me think to start that maybe it needed a service. But soon realised that was not the issue, had a read for possible problems, low and behold, couldn't use the phone hands free. So it's fairly obvious that I have a blue&me error.

How many on here have managed to get it to reset by disconnecting the battery? How many of you have had theirs repaired? Did you send it away? If so where to? Was it truely plug in and play?

Many thanks.
I want the battery disconnect to reset your CanBus and restore the mileage without flashing; however my experience says it's a dead Blue & Me (B&M). Another indicator is that the battery has quite a high drain and will be flat inside a week if you don't use the car (B&M fails in the "on" condition). You have done your research on here so I'm not going to go over old ground. A refurbed B&M will likely need to be reprogrammed as it will have lost it's (software) address and the BCM will not recognise it (ODO will continue to flash). Find a second hand one and my experience is that it will plug and play. Search the part number Alfas use the same module however it may not fit the bracket under the (RHD) drivers seat where it lives (it hasn't affected mine).

I want the battery disconnect to reset your CanBus and restore the mileage without flashing; however my experience says it's a dead Blue & Me (B&M). Another indicator is that the battery has quite a high drain and will be flat inside a week if you don't use the car (B&M fails in the "on" condition). You have done your research on here so I'm not going to go over old ground. A refurbed B&M will likely need to be reprogrammed as it will have lost it's (software) address and the BCM will not recognise it (ODO will continue to flash). Find a second hand one and my experience is that it will plug and play. Search the part number Alfas use the same module however it may not fit the bracket under the (RHD) drivers seat where it lives (it hasn't affected mine).
Thanks for the info, I am pretty sure that the B&M is faulty, quite why is anyone's guess, not like it's got wet. I can't say that I have noticed any battery drain, it is far as I can tell the original factory fit battery in a 63 plate diesel 4x4. That said it's my daily drive, mostly 16 miles a day to and from work, with a few other short journeys for shopping, etc. The longest it has sat is a couple of days the other weekend.

Will try disconnecting the battery, but too much on at the moment, need the car and don't have the time. I will have a look for a secondhand unit, don't suppose you have the part number to hand, or can point me in the right direction to a post that does? Any info is gratefully received.

Sean

Thanks for the info, I am pretty sure that the B&M is faulty, quite why is anyone's guess, not like it's got wet. I can't say that I have noticed any battery drain, it is far as I can tell the original factory fit battery in a 63 plate diesel 4x4. That said it's my daily drive, mostly 16 miles a day to and from work, with a few other short journeys for shopping, etc. The longest it has sat is a couple of days the other weekend.

Will try disconnecting the battery, but too much on at the moment, need the car and don't have the time. I will have a look for a secondhand unit, don't suppose you have the part number to hand, or can point me in the right direction to a post that does? Any info is gratefully received.

Sean
Here's mine as it emerges from its home (63 TA 4x4) That part number is 51953695. Looks like there's a few out there in Internet land - variable prices...

1707383938333.png

Battery should have quick disconnect on -ve post if you just wanted to try it... If you have a multimeter have a check for current drain.

Here's mine as it emerges from its home (63 TA 4x4) That part number is 51953695. Looks like there's a few out there in Internet land - variable prices...

View attachment 437911

Battery should have quick disconnect on -ve post if you just wanted to try it... If you have a multimeter have a check for current drain.
Brilliant! Hope you didn't just remove it for me to look at?

To be clear, I don't really "do" electrics, but I do have a collection of different sized hammers! Thus, I assume to check for battery drain I would need to read the voltage one day, leave it stood on the drive and check voltage again another day? Any significant drop meaning something is running, most likely the cars brains trying to find the B&M unit, bit like me trying to ring my wife when the phones in her handbag?

I will have a search at lunch and see what is available. I am a little hesitant to buy a used part unless it's been reconditioned, or I may find myself in the same position, hence asking what peoples experience of the many repair companies that come up on Google. But I assume a reconditioned unit would still need to be programmed to the car, thus not any different to having my existing unit refurbished. It is something to ponder.

Brilliant! Hope you didn't just remove it for me to look at?

To be clear, I don't really "do" electrics, but I do have a collection of different sized hammers! Thus, I assume to check for battery drain I would need to read the voltage one day, leave it stood on the drive and check voltage again another day? Any significant drop meaning something is running, most likely the cars brains trying to find the B&M unit, bit like me trying to ring my wife when the phones in her handbag?

I will have a search at lunch and see what is available. I am a little hesitant to buy a used part unless it's been reconditioned, or I may find myself in the same position, hence asking what peoples experience of the many repair companies that come up on Google. But I assume a reconditioned unit would still need to be programmed to the car, thus not any different to having my existing unit refurbished. It is something to ponder.
No, I took some photos when I did the job a few years ago now - just for reference, in case someone on here was interested ;) .

I think the failure mode is that the B&M (which would normally turn off after 10 or 15minutes after the ignition is switched off) stays on (although not working). I think measuring voltage without a load maybe misleading (ambient temperature variation for example) but others may advise here. Personally I would measure amperage but it doesn't change anything - I'd say the B&M unit is dead.

Used part is, I agree, a risk its a balance between refurb and proxi-alignment costs v's a cheaper 2nd hand unit. I'm not sure reconditioned means the risk of failure goes away, this is where you check what warranty is offered?!

Many thanks.
Hi I got mine sorted with a man on eBay £95 it’s not plug and play and for my experience taking the lead off the battery didn’t work

Sean
Blue and Me was inherently susceptible to voltage changes and 'apparently' used poor components during manufacture or so many sources I've read over the years have said. Whatever the reason they generally give up at some point during the car's life. I think certain reman places make a point of saying they upgrade components to try and stave off the issue.

Blue and Me was inherently susceptible to voltage changes and 'apparently' used poor components during manufacture or so many sources I've read over the years have said.
That's my take on it too.

Consumer grade electronic devices generally don't last as long as the average secondhand car.

How many of you are still using a mobile phone that's >10yrs old? And how many of your phone accessories from 2013 are still useable? Yet folks still seem somehow surprised that their 2009 500 isn't fully compatible with an iphone 15 pro max.

Hi I got mine sorted with a man on eBay £95 it’s not plug and play and for my experience taking the lead off
If it wasn't plug and play, how did you get it programmed? I have seen plenty of ads, just wasn't sure how good they are.

Did wonder about trying a local auto electrician.

If it wasn't plug and play, how did you get it programmed? I have seen plenty of ads, just wasn't sure how good they are.

Did wonder about trying a local auto electrician.
As Big Gerry says Multiecuscan is required to do a proxi alignment. It's a procedure where the database on the body computer is updated with a new list of all systems on the network. The new blue and me gets a network address and when the car starts up it answers a call to 'are you there?'
Fiat can do it for you at a cost using their own software called examiner.
If you intend to keep the car long term or are staying within the fiat, alfa, lancia family it's well worth the investment. It allows for diagnostics and service resets. I've found it invaluable.

That's my take on it too.

Consumer grade electronic devices generally don't last as long as the average secondhand car.

How many of you are still using a mobile phone that's >10yrs old? And how many of your phone accessories from 2013 are still useable? Yet folks still seem somehow surprised that their 2009 500 isn't fully compatible with an iphone 15 pro max.
Totally agree. Technology is far more important to the consumer than the actual car these days. Progress is fast and they don't see that the car is a fixed point in time. Especially when the car's body and paint still look fresh after 10 years of service.
Thankfully there are loads of aftermarket options these days that bring it bang up to date. I did exactly this when the blue and me failed on my last two fiats.
As for longevity, as far as fiat is concerned if the component lasts past the warranty then it's job done. That's the car's life as far as they see it.
If I had a pound for every time I've read my 10 to 15 year old car is unreliable /defective / a piece of sh*t because something has failed after 150K miles and years of British roads and winters I'd be a wealthy man

Last edited:
Totally agree. Technology is far more important to the consumer than the actual car these days. Progress is fast and they don't see that the car is a fixed point in time. Especially when the car's body and paint still look fresh after 10 years of service.
Thankfully there are loads of aftermarket options these days that bring it bang up to date. I did exactly this when the blue and me failed on my last two fiats.
As for longevity, as far as fiat is concerned if the component lasts past the warranty then it's job done. That's the car's life as far as they see it.
If I had a pound for every time I've read my 10 to 15 year old car is unreliable /defective / a piece of sh*t because something has failed after 150K miles and years of British roads and winters I'd be a wealthy man
I'm a great believer in "if it works don't change it". I won't upgrade my phone unless I break it, I'm on my 5th mobile since 1996, current one is 6 years old. Too many people have a throw away attitude, I like things that last and that you can fix.

Might consider getting the software, but I have a few other jobs as well, like the prop shaft centre hanger bearing.

Many thanks.
Look up a place called Revtronics in Bradford they repair the unit for about £99 and also do it by post too ,hope this helps sorted my Doblo out in about 1 hour

Back