Register Login
Mr FIAT - Your #1 source for vintage car parts
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-08-2021   #1
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Diesel stalling/cutting out

Evening all,

I wonder if you may be able to help out my father-in-law.

His 58 reg 1.6 diesel Bravo (105 eco) has developed a fault in the last week that has us a little stumped.

From cold, having no previous faults, it started fine and drove roughly 0.3 miles before cutting out/stalling. It then would not restart, and Iím told it didnít even crank the engine.

The car was left for maybe half hour to 45 mins, and when we returned it started fine and drove back home the same distance, with no obvious problems. My father in law has replaced the fuel filter and glow plugs since then.

Today it was driven to work by my mother-in-law without issue, but again having been parked up all morning until lunchtime it started fine, drove less than 100m across a car park and stalled, refusing to restart once again. It restarted 30 mins later and drove home again no problem.

There are no warning lights on the dash, so I assume no error codes thrown up. When it starts it idles fine, albeit with a very slight rise and fall sound to the revs, although itís not what I would call Ďhuntingí and itís not a big enough change to move the Rev needle on the dash.

Any ideas?
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Planty is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-08-2021   #2
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 29,299
Thanks: 1157
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by Planty View Post
Evening all,

I wonder if you may be able to help out my father-in-law.

His 58 reg 1.6 diesel Bravo (105 eco) has developed a fault in the last week that has us a little stumped.

From cold, having no previous faults, it started fine and drove roughly 0.3 miles before cutting out/stalling. It then would not restart, and Iím told it didnít even crank the engine.

The car was left for maybe half hour to 45 mins, and when we returned it started fine and drove back home the same distance, with no obvious problems. My father in law has replaced the fuel filter and glow plugs since then.

Today it was driven to work by my mother-in-law without issue, but again having been parked up all morning until lunchtime it started fine, drove less than 100m across a car park and stalled, refusing to restart once again. It restarted 30 mins later and drove home again no problem.

There are no warning lights on the dash, so I assume no error codes thrown up. When it starts it idles fine, albeit with a very slight rise and fall sound to the revs, although itís not what I would call Ďhuntingí and itís not a big enough change to move the Rev needle on the dash.

Any ideas?
Hi

Did the glowplug light flash? Im not convinced the plugs were at fault.. but have seen odd behaviour linked with the light flashing.

Solutions:

Get it plugged in to read ANY engine codes.. followed by body codes

Get the fuel rail pressures read while plugged in too

NOT CRANKING.. could point to a dodgy battery to body..to motor earth connection

Which of course might be enough to stop a running motor


1st things..

Disconnect battery for an hour.. clean the ends of the earth cable

Reconnect.. see what happens

Then check the Members register to see if somebody nesr the car has MultiECUScan software..
Will do all the necessary plug.in diagnostics

Charlie.. near the M4
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 07-08-2021   #3
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 158
Thanks: 14
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Diesel stalling/cutting out

Check the anti vacuum valve in the filler cap is not stuck.
Though it does sound more electrical than fuel.
__________________




If you find a fix for your problem please let us know it will help others.

Last edited by RalphM; 07-08-2021 at 12:32.
RalphM is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 08-08-2021   #4
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Diesel stalling/cutting out

Had the obd plugged in today and the car wasnít showing any error codes at all. F-I-L pressing ahead with changing the fuel pump. He seems convinced itís a fuelling issue because itís cutting out.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Planty; 08-08-2021 at 23:02.
Planty is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2021   #5
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Timisoara
Posts: 272
Thanks: 17
Trader Rating: 0
Romania 
Re: Diesel stalling/cutting out

First check the injection pump. It is mechanichal, with a belt making it move, isn't it? Get the cover down and check if there is fuel spills around. If that is good, check the fuel pump first if it start when turning the key into ignition, then read the pressure on the fuel line. Do not let him jump into changing the fuel pump, it may work very good and a new one won't solve the problem.
If those are good, the culprit may be the cranckshaft sensor. If it sends no signal, the ECU is not injecting fuel.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Mike1alike is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2021   #6
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Thanks for your input. We will certainly check the injection pump. The fuel pressure was taken with the codes being read and came back fine on Sunday.

Quick Q if you donít mind - if it was the crank sensor at fault would that not throw up an error code?
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Planty is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2021   #7
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Timisoara
Posts: 272
Thanks: 17
Trader Rating: 0
Romania 
Re: Diesel stalling/cutting out

No, it doesn't. That's the "beauty" of it. Because it still appears connected and sends a value. And it also have the very bad habit sometimes that it goes bad but only when is hot. While engine and everything is cold, all works fine. And then you hear people asking "my car dosen't start on hot engine, what can it be?" When the sensor gets hot it just doesn't work and sends no signal to the ECU, 0 voltage or so. ECU does not register an error, it just thinks that the cranckshaft does not rotate, therefore gives no fuel, considering that the engine is stopped. It is a tricky sensor and is a very good thing if you now this about it and you keep an eye on it.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides


Last edited by Mike1alike; 09-08-2021 at 18:39.
Mike1alike is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2021   #8
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Diesel stalling/cutting out

Thatís some great info, thanks again. Sounds like the multimeter is coming out! Iíll report back what we find.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Planty is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2021   #9
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Near the M4
Posts: 29,299
Thanks: 1157
Trader Rating: 0
varesecrazy has donated!
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by Planty View Post
Thanks for your input. We will certainly check the injection pump. The fuel pressure was taken with the codes being read and came back fine on Sunday.
?
What pressures did you see ?

Cranking ..vs running ??
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

varesecrazy is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 09-08-2021   #10
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Re: Diesel stalling/cutting out

Iím sorry, I wasnít personally present when the check was done, my F-I-L and his mate did the check and was just deemed Ďfineí. Afraid I can be more help than that.
Likes varesecrazy liked this post
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Planty is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Old 10-08-2021   #11
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Trader Rating: 0
United Kingdom 
Quote Originally Posted by Planty View Post
Iím sorry, I wasnít personally present when the check was done, my F-I-L and his mate did the check and was just deemed Ďfineí. Afraid I can be more help than that.
I have confirmed that the checks were carried out when running and when not. The outcome was that the pressures were all good and for the age of the vehicle it is in very good condition.
__________________
FIAT Forum Useful Links:
Donate to FF | Buy FF Merchandise | Classifieds | FF Insurance | How-to Guides

Planty is offline Reply With Quote Quote 
Reply
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
(T) Cutting Out / stalling 1.2 2006 Punto oldfudger Grande Punto 12 05-02-2018 14:51
(T) My fighting stalling/cutting out doblo Scott7763725272 Doblo 10 17-08-2017 15:01
(T) HGT stalling and cutting out bartley92 Punto (Mk2/2b) 2 30-01-2016 23:00
(G) Scudo 02 2.0jtd Stalling/Cutting Out on Gear Change MJM123 Scudo 3 17-01-2016 08:27
Punto 1.8 HGT stalling and cutting out! ace2468blue Newbie Central 1 23-08-2010 03:08