General 08 Bravo 1.9L turbo diesel lacking power and blowing big clouds of black smoke

Currently reading:
General 08 Bravo 1.9L turbo diesel lacking power and blowing big clouds of black smoke

philfres

Ho everyone I am new to this forum so I will try .my best. My Fiat was running fine.with no real issues then it sat in the shed for about 6 months . When I drove it there wasn't an issue until I let the fuel run a bit low then I filled up at a place I am now told can sometimes have dirty fuel. It started idling rough, surging, especially down low 1st and 2nd and it blows massive clouds of black smoke.
I have read a few similar threads and found some possible causes including fuel filter, split lines, bad turbo and bad egr valve. I have tryed checking all hoses and.pipes for leaks but they seem fine, except for being coated with oil all through them. I want to.now try and change fuel filter and was wondering if anyone had a part number for it. The one.that comes up at supercheap doesn't look like the correct one. I'll attach the link to it below.
The one in the picture they tell me is correct but mine has an electrical plug that goes in the bottom unlike the one in pic.
Screenshot_20221230_060351_Chrome.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help

Re the filter, any chance serial number still readable on the old unit?
Re performance can you draw off some of the diesel before the fuel filter in case the tank is full of crap also, if so you will have to drop the fuel tank and clean thoroughly the whole system, then put new fuel filter in. Water etc. can give surging etc.
Bit concerned re hoses etc coated with oil, I had a 2010 Doblo 1.6 multijet that the seals/bearings in the turbo went and all the intercooler was full of oil and after fitting new turbo I had to run engine with turbo pipe into inlet manifold off until it blew semi clean air into engine, I tested by holding a clean bit of A4 paper in the path of the hose to manifold and got engine revved a bit, soon showed any oil.
If you take the outlet hose off turbo where it goes towards the intercooler it shouldn't have loads of oil in it. Also with turbo inlet pipe from air cleaner off it may be possible to see if excess play/movement in impeller spindle.
In general black smoke in a diesel means too much fuel or not enough air. There can be many reasons for either, but if turbo suspect it could be not chucking enough air into the engine i.e. no boost pressure, so faulty turbo,split intercooler or hoses are a starting point

Re the filter, any chance serial number still readable on the old unit?
Can you draw off some of the diesel before the fuel filter in case the tank is full of crap also, if so you will have to drop the fuel tank and clean thoroughly the whole system, then put new fuel filter in.
Bit concerned re hoses etc coated with oil, I had a 2010 Doblo 1.6 multijet that the seals/bearings in the turbo went and all the intercooler was full of oil and after fitting new turbo I had to run engine with turbo pipe into inlet manifold off until it blew semi clean air into engine. If you take the outlet hose off turbo were it goes towards the intercooler it shouldn't have loads of oil in it. Also with turbo inlet pipe from air cleaner off it may be possible to see if excess play/movement in impeller spindle.
In general black smoke in a diesel means too much fuel or not enough air. There can be many reasons for either, but if turbo suspect it could be not chucking enough air into the engine i.e. no boost pressure, so faulty turbo,split intercooler or hoses are a starting point
Thanks for that, I did think it was a turbo issue at first but the fact that it was good obe day and then totally terrible the next had me thinking and hoping it was something cheaper to fix

Thanks for that, I did think it was a turbo issue at first but the fact that it was good obe day and then totally terrible the next had me thinking and hoping it was something cheaper to fix
True, I agree.
See what crap is coming from fuel tank.
I have also ran a diesel for a short while off a clean can of fuel direct to the high pressure pump to prove an issue. It will run out quickly as no return line as still going to the tank.
I did that test on a 03 1.9 Non turbo Doblo to prove what others had missed ;), there was an air leak on the plastic fuel line clips at the tank sender unit.
It had no pump in tank so relied on the high pressure pump "sucking " the fuel to the engine. In your case you would need to blank off the pipe from the tank as otherwise there will be fuel everywhere from the low pressure pump in the tank:(.

True, I agree.
See what crap is coming from fuel tank.
I have also ran a diesel for a short while off a clean can of fuel direct to the high pressure pump to prove an issue. It will run out quickly as no return line as still going to the tank.
I did that test on a 03 1.9 Non turbo Doblo to prove what others had missed ;), there was an air leak on the plastic fuel line clips at the tank sender unit.
It had no pump in tank so relied on the high pressure pump "sucking " the fuel to the engine. In your case you would need to blank off the pipe from the tank as otherwise there will be fuel everywhere from the low pressure pump in the tank:(.
Ok I will give that a go. Also Repco told me it also has a water separater but I can't see it anywhere under the car. Do you know if it runs both, or just the filter in the engine bay?

Ok I will give that a go. Also Repco told me it also has a water separater but I can't see it anywhere under the car. Do you know if it runs both, or just the filter in the engine bay?
I am guessing the plastic nut and the bottom of the filter if connected to a pipe could draw off water as on some they have a sensor fitted in place of the plastic nut that activates a warning light for water in the fuel. You could use that as a guide to dirt in the fuel.
Though if there is more than a little I would suggest dropping the tank and through cleaning.

Back