Tuning Modding the A500

Currently reading:
Tuning Modding the A500

Fizzle

My hobby...is to modify any car i get my hands on. Thanks to this forum i have decided to go with the A500SS, being the second super hatchback turbo car i buy.

I've searched many times for what i want but cant find the info i need. Maybe i am not using the search option correctly or because of the lack of knowledge i have in the Fiat aftermarket world.

I have been modifying turbo cars since 2001...Mostly being JDM cars. The A500SS is the first ever Fiat i buy, i bought this car for its looks, size, and mostly because its a turbo car.

Heres what i want to know:

• Who is the best/popular tuner for the A500 without sending out the ECU?
With my '09 GTR, i use a hand held device called Cobb Accessport, this thing comes with its own ''canned'' maps, full OBD readout, knock sensor, etc and can have custom tunes ( maps ) sent by email. Basically, you find a pro Cobb tuner to send you out an eTune. You go out, data log from 3rd gear till redline, then email the tuner the logs back and forth until the tune is safe. Anything similar for the A500?

• Who sells a turbo kit to make her go near the 300whp mark?
  • Any stroker kits out there?
  • What clutch upgrade to handle this power?
  • Besides KW, who makes better coilovers for the car?
  • Who makes Carbon fiber for the exterior/interior?
  • What is the widest tire that fits for 18's?
Thank you, and i am sorry to bombard you with all these questions :)

The closest fit on the turbo kit would be what TMC here in the UK have just done for one of their customers - with a little further development Daron reckons he can get over 260bhp from the engine without changing the internals (or the clutch).

There are other tuners in Europe that are getting similar results.

Koni have just released a set of dampers that are Abarth approved but they are fixed platform so maybe not what you are looking for but at just £540 for a set of four dampers that don't void the warranty on the car they are very good value. The SS springs are also available separately to go with them at about £220 for a set. Gaz are also producing a more motorsport oriented set of dampers that are just about ready for market.

Not much info on carbon interior replacements that I've seen yet but it won't take much longer.

The tires will depend on the tyre manufacturer and the diameter you are aiming for... a bit more information might help us to help you

Last edited:
Welcome,

Unfortunately I am still awaiting the release of the Abarth here in Oz, but in the meantime have been doing my research til that time. I have been looking at similar mods as yourself but not as extreme !!!!!

From that research;

Advise you that probably do not get the SS as you will end up removing most of the "extras" in the SS kit

Look at the UK Abarth forum site (Abarthforum.co.uk) & look for the entry by a guy called Lagerlout who has modded his A5oo to about 300 bhp - that gives you all you need to know on how to achieve this output

Good luck with the mods & keep us posted

Cheers

The closest fit on the turbo kit would be what TMC here in the UK have just done for one of their customers - with a little further development Daron reckons he can get over 260bhp from the engine without changing the internals (or the clutch).

There are other tuners in Europe that are getting similar results.

Koni have just released a set of dampers that are Abarth approved but they are fixed platform so maybe not what you are looking for but at just £540 for a set of four dampers that don't void the warranty on the car they are very good value. The SS springs are also available separately to go with them at about £220 for a set. Gaz are also producing a more motorsport oriented set of dampers that are just about ready for market.

Not much info on carbon interior replacements that I've seen yet but it won't take much longer.

The tires will depend on the tyre manufacturer and the diameter you are aiming for... a bit more information might help us to help you

Thanks for the info.. Thats great, 260 aint bad in a tiny car. I'll check em out (y)

Welcome,

Unfortunately I am still awaiting the release of the Abarth here in Oz, but in the meantime have been doing my research til that time. I have been looking at similar mods as yourself but not as extreme !!!!!

From that research;

Advise you that probably do not get the SS as you will end up removing most of the "extras" in the SS kit

Look at the UK Abarth forum site (Abarthforum.co.uk) & look for the entry by a guy called Lagerlout who has modded his A5oo to about 300 bhp - that gives you all you need to know on how to achieve this output

Good luck with the mods & keep us posted

Cheers

Thanks brother, but ive already ordered the car with the SS stuff, i hear its a harsh ride, but thats fine with me, the harsher the better. Our roads here are smooth as ass, so no worries about a bumpy ride.

Fo sure, i'll keep you guys posted with my build.

Just recently, another member has just had his car overhauled. A lot of work for not much money using a few Abarth parts (such as Turbo from an Abarth Punto SS etc) and his is running at 200 to 220 HP.

Tempting...

Sure is tempting...So the turbo from the APunto SS is bigger? And can this turbo be modified?

The FSD Koni dampers have been out for ages it's only now that Fiat UK have cottoned on.

GAS do a front height adjustable coil-over & rear damper set up but it's all twin-tube dampers and it took them a fair few attempts to get springs rates right, first set I saw were completly coil bound. In terms of rear spring I believe they retain the SS springs or can provide them.

AVO do a mono-tube (superior) front height adjustable coil-over with rear twin-tube damper & height adjustable with different provided shims and their own springs. Very impressed by them, damper rates are very good though they should be as a very well repected motorsport engineer did them & he has direct involvement in the UK Trofeo race series. Spring rates are actually same as OEM ie they have sorted one of the bigger flaws on the car, under dampered. Emmas dads car runs the development set which was demonstrated at the Abarth track day. Pulce racing retail these but they are more expensive than the GAZ stuff @ £1000 +VAT.

On the standard car the rear bump stops are too long, the car bottoms out on them easily, on an SS car the rear suspension has about 15mm of travel, it's very very poor. A quick fix is to remove the bump stops as the spring rates are high enough & damper as so much travel you'll never damage anything. This is why people say the car is harsh even in standard spec, it's harsh and skittish because the rear suspension has to little travel and can't work properly.

Trofeo race cars run the larger Garret turbo from the Punto SS kit with CAT moved to underneath the car and karge bore exhaust system. Those produce between 215-220bhp and lots of torque.

No doubt the engine is good for more, I know it is, but the drivetrain is where weaknesses will develop, driveshafts & gearbox itself. There is a reason the Trofeo cars run the Punto 6speed box & that's because it's stronger, plus bigger diff which of course is LSD on the race cars.

Then there the brakes recent trackday highlighted with continuous hard use they fade, overheat and in extreme cases the paint on calipers burns off! Trofeo cars use Punto's Brembo calipers with Coupe discs.

The FSD Koni dampers have been out for ages it's only now that Fiat UK have cottoned on.

GAS do a front height adjustable coil-over & rear damper set up but it's all twin-tube dampers and it took them a fair few attempts to get springs rates right, first set I saw were completly coil bound. In terms of rear spring I believe they retain the SS springs or can provide them.

AVO do a mono-tube (superior) front height adjustable coil-over with rear twin-tube damper & height adjustable with different provided shims and their own springs. Very impressed by them, damper rates are very good though they should be as a very well repected motorsport engineer did them & he has direct involvement in the UK Trofeo race series. Spring rates are actually same as OEM ie they have sorted one of the bigger flaws on the car, under dampered. Emmas dads car runs the development set which was demonstrated at the Abarth track day. Pulce racing retail these but they are more expensive than the GAZ stuff @ £1000 +VAT.

On the standard car the rear bump stops are too long, the car bottoms out on them easily, on an SS car the rear suspension has about 15mm of travel, it's very very poor. A quick fix is to remove the bump stops as the spring rates are high enough & damper as so much travel you'll never damage anything. This is why people say the car is harsh even in standard spec, it's harsh and skittish because the rear suspension has to little travel and can't work properly.

Trofeo race cars run the larger Garret turbo from the Punto SS kit with CAT moved to underneath the car and karge bore exhaust system. Those produce between 215-220bhp and lots of torque.

No doubt the engine is good for more, I know it is, but the drivetrain is where weaknesses will develop, driveshafts & gearbox itself. There is a reason the Trofeo cars run the Punto 6speed box & that's because it's stronger, plus bigger diff which of course is LSD on the race cars.

Then there the brakes recent trackday highlighted with continuous hard use they fade, overheat and in extreme cases the paint on calipers burns off! Trofeo cars use Punto's Brembo calipers with Coupe discs.

Thanks! :)

Great info here, i will defo remove the bump stops, i understand what you're saying...totally sux.

I'll look up the coilover info you put down here, altho i will ride without the bump stops first then decide if its needed.

Nice, so can i modify the larger garret turbo from the Punto SS? And where can i get my hands on the 6 speed transmission, driveshafts and LSD?

Yes, the brakes are known to fade out after couple of track sessions, and crack. I will try solving this by adding J hook patterned discs if i find a company that makes them for the A500, maybe AP does, i will check em out.

So basically there isnt much in the market, im sure once the US gets their hand on one we will see more mods and stuff for it.

ps...nice set of rare toys you got their on your sig, props!

Last edited:

A quick question - these FSD Konis, are they the same across the 500 range OR is there a special Abarth damper. Reading the Abarthista UK forum would indicate there is a specific Koni FSD for the Abarth as was developed for the A5ooC and the 695

Cheers

No its a single Koni part, its just that Abarth recently announced they would be part of the SS kit for the convertible, hence its now (sort of) rubber stamped by them.

I have the Car TMC tuned up to 226 bhp
but it is running at 210 now with garret 1446 and high flow cat and full intake and exhaust and remap.
there is another running 305 BHP but he has spent about 20K on his
I am very happy with the work and the performance.
200 barrier is harder than you think.:D

I have the Car TMC tuned up to 226 bhp
but it is running at 210 now with garret 1446 and high flow cat and full intake and exhaust and remap.
there is another running 305 BHP but he has spent about 20K on his
I am very happy with the work and the performance.
200 barrier is harder than you think.:D

Thats great, can you please PM me all the info and who built it for you. Thanks!

Back