The Dash Camera Thread (Videos)

Currently reading:
The Dash Camera Thread (Videos)

The driver should have got out of the van, and got the other driver to lean in on the pretext of viewing the footage, then slammed the door on his head.
Bit too extreme?
Probably, unfortunately.
You would hope that the insurance companies would be interested in this.
2 dangerous incidents in 1 minute is some achievement.

What amazes me is the fact that some videos are posted to show how 'bad' the other drivers were (and there are some awful examples out there) and the poster gets upset when their 'faults' are pointed out.

As was said to me once "If you put your head above the parapet, be prepared to be shot at"

The van drivers reaction time was pathetic.

So, do you think this might be one for my "accident - avoid or not" thread?
I must admit, a couple of things seemed a bit fishy to me - as you said, his reaction time and his apparent lack of concern at the accident.
There's normally a moment of realisation that you're not going to stop in time "Fuuu uuu ccc kkk".
And then when you realise the other guy isn't going to stop, I note he said the number plate - but not really clear enough for the camera?
He also didn't seem to be voicing any concerns that the other guy was driving off (and nor did he do much to take chase.)

The van driver would probably have gone into the back of the tractor had the car not got in the way.
Only one hand on the wheel - what was he doing with the other one? texting?
Good mounting point for the camera though showing a view through the side windows - you guys with cameras might consider doing that seeing as a high proportion of accidents are side impacts.

Good mounting point for the camera though showing a view through the side windows - you guys with cameras might consider doing that seeing as a high proportion of accidents are side impacts.

The problem with mounting a camera inside a car is the camera is busy trying to focus on the darker interior of the car and therefore whats outside always ends up over exposed and not of great quality.

The problem with mounting a camera inside a car is the camera is busy trying to focus on the darker interior of the car and therefore whats outside always ends up over exposed and not of great quality.

And, as in this case, the plate of the offending car couldn't be read by the camera.

I also wonder what his insurance company would make of all the rubbish strewn everywhere - Would it distract you if you, perhaps, accellerated hard out of a junction or took a tight bend a tad too fast & half the stuff went everywhere - a bottle going under a pedal for example?

And, as in this case, the plate of the offending car couldn't be read by the camera.

I also wonder what his insurance company would make of all the rubbish strewn everywhere - Would it distract you if you, perhaps, accellerated hard out of a junction or took a tight bend a tad too fast & half the stuff went everywhere - a bottle going under a pedal for example?
I had a coke bottle in back and a compass, they found each other

I had a coke bottle in back and a compass, they found each other

Some years back there was an infomercial on telly - a mum was killed not because she wasn't wearing her belt but because her teen son behind her wasn't (when the car stopped, he slammed into the back of her).
that was an updated portion of a safety vid we used to have to show.
There was the one where the fave small pooch (Jack Russel iirc) always travelled on the parcel shelf. The old boy driving was saved by his belt (pre-airbag days) but the pooch continued at 30mph and slammed into the back of the bloke's head, instantly snapping his neck.
One of the reasons why people were encouraged to put shopping in the boot.

Mind you, I always questioned why seat backs were always so low and why head restraints were only ever suited to midget drivers. Even the higher seat backs/longer head restraints were never adjustable enough - the spine is an 'S' shape & your head naturally sits forward.

fair point.

Does anyone here get an insurance discount for having a dashcam?

I put it down as a declared mod, value sub£50. Was told it was OK (after they went away to ask (probably google "WTF is a dashcam? :D).
When I asked about a discount, was told they hadn't anything on their system for this.
I have sent an email, an overview of my only ever claim & explaining how the footage from MY cam saved MY insurance thousands since otherwise it was going through as a 50/50. Reply was along the lines of the insurance industry doesn't, as yet, offer discounts for dashcams.

Interesting how tech which has been around for quite some time has yet to be embraced by insurance - and yet they are more than happy to offer discounts to someone fitting a black box.

Time to get rid of my dual dashcam?

Nothing much ever happens when I do the few miles to work in my car, this day, I took some stuff to the tip before going to work & had an 'event'

When I viewed the files I was annoyed to find some corruption.

I was going to include the whole 5 mins but the video froze at the end of this clip (there was audio the whole 5 mins but it was really badly distorted.

'just' managed to catch the idiot though.

At 50s, I approach a roundabout and turn right. The idiot barely avoids slamming into the back of me in his desperation to overtake the other car on the roundabout.

Last edited:
Time to get rid of my dual dashcam?

OY62 RKU bad driving - YouTube

Nothing much ever happens when I do the few miles to work in my car, this day, I took some stuff to the tip before going to work & had an 'event'

When I viewed the files I was annoyed to find some corruption.

I was going to include the whole 5 mins but the video froze at the end of this clip (there was audio the whole 5 mins but it was really badly distorted.

'just' managed to catch the idiot though.

At 50s, I approach a roundabout and turn right. The idiot barely avoids slamming into the back of me in his desperation to overtake the other car on the roundabout.
the card could have gone ****s up.

I put it down as a declared mod, value sub£50. Was told it was OK (after they went away to ask (probably google "WTF is a dashcam? :D).
When I asked about a discount, was told they hadn't anything on their system for this.
I have sent an email, an overview of my only ever claim & explaining how the footage from MY cam saved MY insurance thousands since otherwise it was going through as a 50/50. Reply was along the lines of the insurance industry doesn't, as yet, offer discounts for dashcams.

Interesting how tech which has been around for quite some time has yet to be embraced by insurance - and yet they are more than happy to offer discounts to someone fitting a black box.

Not suprised really, majority of insurance is little more than a con finding ways not to pay out.

I've idea insurance industry, stop paying millions in TV advertising saying your the best/cheapest/love your customers (which your aren't and don't) and put together some decent policies that pay out without quibbling and employ a call centre whose operatives live on the same continent as it's customers.

This is why I stay with the NFU mutual, may not be the cheapest but avoids all of the above.

sludgeguts I found that happened with mine once I had converted the Video. Try changing it to .AVI then upload

heres a video of a lad showing off with his mates in the car on the M62 the other night,
Car on the left is Carly, we were on the way back from the trafford meet on thursday

Back