Is it worth getting rid of the spare tyre?

Currently reading:
Is it worth getting rid of the spare tyre?

Back when I had the DS3 I optioned the spare...as all cars have a unique tax rating based on spec it had a slightly different CO2 banding to a standard one it cost me..1g of CO2 per km which didn't change fuel economy unless you were reading it to 2 decimal places.

In terms of fuel saving not listening to speed garage is about as effective...

The answer lies in how much you like both walking and being late. you may do many years without a puncture, or you may have a run of bad luck. Ive had both. I would never drive witout a spare. Its always when you least need it that these things happen??

As for tools I have a multi tool / penknife. If the cars have gone wrong for the last 20 years, its not been a roadside fix.

Using a repair kit is much faster then installing a spare wheel :)

With only a repair kit a torn tire becomes another thing that is not a roadside fix.

Every argument will have a contrargument, this is useless. I personally think that the OP already had all of them.

:)
In a lot of miles and years for me more tyre incidents have been beyond the repair kit than within scope. I carry my impact gun when on long runs and can do a wheel change in less time than reading the instructions on using the can. I sometimes carry my air bag jack. I had a puncture when towing a caravan a few years back. On a roundabout on the main Oxford road at Farringdon. A cop stopped to help keep traffic at bay. I had to stop him putting his cones out as the wheel was swapped before he had coned the back off. He was somewhat suprised to my amusement. I was grateful though.

From what I can tell mine weighs about 18Kg, which is 1.5% of the cars overall weight. So i'd get a 1.5% reduction in the use of petrol?
Doesn't work that way, it only needs more fuel when you accelerate. Once at speed then it's just needing to overcome air resistance and that's not related to weight.

Slowing could work either way for you. More weight means you can lift off sooner and momentum carries you, but also ears the brakes more.

None of that will be really noticeable for 1.5%, so I'd personally not go without a spare. Though our current car, Nissan removed the wheelwell, so spre lives in the garage and RC will bring it home for the spare :)

Doesn't work that way, it only needs more fuel when you accelerate. Once at speed then it's just needing to overcome air resistance and that's not related to weight.

Slowing could work either way for you. More weight means you can lift off sooner and momentum carries you, but also ears the brakes more.

None of that will be really noticeable for 1.5%, so I'd personally not go without a spare. Though our current car, Nissan removed the wheelwell, so spre lives in the garage and RC will bring it home for the spare :)
I spent some time the other night looking for some scientific or otherwise convincing evidence about how much petrol is saved from having no spare tyre. But there is so much conflicting information I didn't find anything useful other than its less than 1%.

However, if a car lasts 20 years before being scrapped then even a 1% petrol saving adds up to 20% of one years petrol. That's quite a lot if you're tanking the miles.

I'm currently doing 43.4mpg in my EVO, when i remove the tyre I'll reset the counter and see what the difference is. Not much probably, but still worth it to my mind. Unless I get a flat tyre lol :)

a car lasts 20 years before being scrapped then even a 1% petrol saving adds up to 20% of one years petrol. That's quite a lot if you're tanking the miles.
:)
If you do 10,000 miles a year for 20 years, and have a true average of 43.4mpg, petrol say £1.30 a litre, then you'd save £271 for a 1% saving over 20 year. Then depends how you handle currency depreciation.
I'd say you'd be nearer a saving of 0.1 - 0.2%

Returning to this conversation has reminded to remove the wheel, so I've just done that.

I'll reset the mpg counter shortly, wait a few weeks then repost the new mpg. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

My driving habits aren't likely to change in the next few weeks so I'm already looking forward to the result...0.1mpg saving no doubt lol

Well...my new average miles per gallon is 47.4mpg...which of course is an implausibly large improvement.

I'd forgotten that a big part of the previous 43.4mpg was with one tyre that was slowly deflating, and so this experiment would need me to put the tyre back in the boot and then drive for an extended distance. Which I'm not going to do.

I'm satisfied that I have saved a small amount of fuel and I'm happy to leave things be. The moral of this story? Check your tyre pressure!

The only real problem with removing the tyre is that I don't have a satisfactory way of preventing the boot carpet from caving in, does anybody have any thoughts on that? I tried using bits of wood, but then the car squeaks every time I go over a bump lol

Last edited:
There are a few things I always carry in the car - walking boots, binoculars, kite, shopping bags, coffee cup, loo roll. So I'd bung them in the wheel well.

If I didn't have a spare wheel I probably wouldn't worry too much about it, but as one came with my car I wouldn't deliberately remove it. Although I do agree with keeping weight to a minimum generally.

If your main purpose is improving fuel economy, then you might get better results by reducing aerodynamic drag.

Adding a roof spoiler to my car gave me maybe 5% improvement. Undertrays would be effective if your car doesn't already have them.

I quite like this guy's videos:

Talking of spare tyre/wheel, I'm all for it as I tow. I also have a very comprehensive set of tools, clips, nuts/bolts, gaffa tape, tie wraps, cloths, gloves, fluids, emergency light weight boiler suit, hand cleaner, tow rope, jump leads all in the boot spare wheel well surrounding and on top of the space saver wheel.

The down side to a repair kit is that if you are on holiday, fully loaded with luggage and the weather is also dreadful then having to unload the car to get to the spare is not fun.

So one could argue that you should have both a spare and a emergency repair kit.

Another lesson I learnt with my Croma 2005 when the clutch failed at Dover port on our way to Italy is to put the towing eye in the vehicle cabin. We had to be towed off the queuing lanes to a safe dockside location but to get this done we had to unpack the boot to retrieve the towing eye.

The alternative is to buy a spare towing eye and they are not that cheap. (well certainly from Fiat specific for your vehicle).

Well...my new average miles per gallon is 47.4mpg...which of course is an implausibly large improvement.

I'd forgotten that a big part of the previous 43.4mpg was with one tyre that was slowly deflating, and so this experiment would need me to put the tyre back in the boot and then drive for an extended distance. Which I'm not going to do.

I'm satisfied that I have saved a small amount of fuel and I'm happy to leave things be. The moral of this story? Check your tyre pressure!

The only real problem with removing the tyre is that I don't have a satisfactory way of preventing the boot carpet from caving in, does anybody have any thoughts on that? I tried using bits of wood, but then the car squeaks every time I go over a bump lol
Perhaps a bit of shaped ply secured to the original spare wheel clamping thread via a spacer might be worth a try.

Most of my cars have a spare but I also carry a 12 v compressor left over from one of my previous vehicles. It’s the most used “get you going” piece of kit I own. I’ve used it for putting a bit extra in trailer wheels and a few slow punctures. It comes in a small plastic case and it’s something I always carry, transferred to whatever car we take on a long trip or holiday. Lives at the side of the boot and as long as it’s a slow puncture ( which the majority are) it saves dirty hands and digging for the spare and jack etc especially if loaded.

Re your MPG, my thoughts would be that it depends on your journeys, long motorway trip I would expect virtually no difference, lots of steep hills then perhaps a slight improvement. You will of course get a slight improvement in acceleration courtesy of the reduced weight.

I spent some time the other night looking for some scientific or otherwise convincing evidence about how much petrol is saved from having no spare tyre. But there is so much conflicting information I didn't find anything useful other than its less than 1%.

However, if a car lasts 20 years before being scrapped then even a 1% petrol saving adds up to 20% of one years petrol. That's quite a lot if you're tanking the miles.

I'm currently doing 43.4mpg in my EVO, when i remove the tyre I'll reset the counter and see what the difference is. Not much probably, but still worth it to my mind. Unless I get a flat tyre lol :)
I bet you, the day after you remove the tyre, you will need it.... A bit of Murhys law

I suppose, if you are doing mostly local trips, then you might take a chance on doing away with a spare and relying on a can of gunge. However I can strongly recommend that you fully investigate how to use it. The pre-pressurized cans are easy but the bottle of goo which screws to an electric inflation pump can be a little more difficult to use and you don't want to be messing about learning about it in the dark and rain on a lonely road or worse still a very busy main road.

Talking about main roads/dual carriageways/motorways. You really don't want to be trying to do something with a punctured wheel anywhere near fast moving traffic. Much better to slowly drive the vehicle into a side road, layby, or other safe place. Then carry out remedial action. Of course by doing this you risk the tyre being ruined beyond repair or coming off the rim. If you have a spare this isn't a problem though. So, for me, it's very important I can carry a spare.

It was one of the things on my list when I was recently looking for a replacement for our Ibiza (Twinkle) and, although not the only reason, it was one of the, less important, reasons I ended up buying a Skoda Scala. The Scala has a full size spare but it's the wheel and tyre from the basic "S" trim version - which I don't think is available here in the UK. The wheel is a 16" steel with a 195/65R16 tyre - this is a "normal" tyre, not one of the typical "skinny" space savers but because it's not the same size as the standard 205/55R16 on my car it is subject to the same 50 mph restriction as a "skinny" space saver. However, because this is a standard 195/65R16 it has a normal tread with a depth of around 7mm - not the almost "bald" tread you commonly get on a space saver so it would be possible to complete even quite long journeys on it, albeit at reduced speed.

when I was looking the car over in the showroom I measured the spare diameter and the road wheel and they were very very close so I knew the wheel well would be large enough to accommodate the diameter of a standard road wheel. What I didn't know for sure was whether the slightly wider 205 section tyre would tuck under the plastic trim at the rear of the wheel well. So, today, I decide to check it out. I took the N/S/F alloy wheel off, removed the steel spare from the wheel well and dropped the alloy into the wheel well:

P1110615.JPG

You can see how it has to tuck under the trim piece to the left of the image - this is actually the rear of the vehicle, the picture is on it's side - There's actually only about 2mm clearance between the bottom of the plastic trim and the tyre sidewall but it fits and the boot floor, which rests on the lip which is just above the tyre, drops back into place perfectly. Yippee!

Here's the two tyres side by side with my long spirit level over the top of them:

P1110618.JPG

Lovely sunny day today as you can see. The full size alloy is on the left and the steel spare on the right, there's 10mm between them - ie, the 205 is, unsurprisingly, 10mm wider than the 195 with both tyres fitted to their respective rims and inflated to normal pressure. My car is an SE spec (SE Technology actually) with the 16 inch rims although, being the "Technology" version the wheel style is an upgrade on the standard SE rim - still 16" with 205/55R 16 tyres though. I didn't know this version had this upgrade and I rather like the wheels on the technology version compare to the rather more plain, in my view, wheels on the standard SE. What do you think:

P1110620.JPG

I was also mildly surprised to find it on Good Year tyres. Most of the new/newish Skodas I've seen seem to be on Continental. I got in a right nasty old mess doing this because the sidewall of the alloy was still covered in tyre dressing from the pre sale valeting!

I took some more pictures today and I'm going to do an "introducing Bluey" post soon - Granddaughter has decided it's to be called Bluey, funnily enough it's blue, energy blue to be exact!

If your main purpose is improving fuel economy, then you might get better results by reducing aerodynamic drag.

Adding a roof spoiler to my car gave me maybe 5% improvement. Undertrays would be effective if your car doesn't already have them.
Aerodynamics is a big part of car design of course. I was interested to find considerable attention has been paid to this on my new Scala with a claimed figure of 0.29 - which I think is pretty good? With just 18 miles on the clock we went down to Galashiels to attend to more "stuff" resulting from my brother's death. I drove gently to let the car settle in, accelerating gently without exceeding 3,000 rpm and cruising between 40 to 50 mph, so you would expect good fuel consumption figures. The on board computer told me she did 59mpg overall and that included driving across the city on the way out and back across the city on the way home. That's at least as good as the smaller and, maybe lighter? Ibiza.

The underside of the car is pretty "slippery" with undertrays etc much in evidence:

P1110641.JPG

A bit of a mixed blessing in my view as they tend to restrict access for things like oil changes and repairs However, being under warrant for the next 3 years, that's not so much of a concern to me. By the time the warranty expires I'll be 80 and maybe not "doing" cars any more anyway!

The car has good ground clearance which I like:

P1110640.JPG

but it's aero efficiency could probably have been even better if the air dam (front bumper in "old money") had been lower. I prefer the clearance though as it avoids damage against curbs when parking nose in.

Talking about the front bumper, it has an interesting aero feature. There is a slot outboard from the fog lights on both sides:

P1110642.JPG

Apparently this creates an "air curtain" around the outside of the front wheels and along the side of the car: https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en.../attachment/scala_vehicle_body_aerodynamic_w/ As my younger boy would say "That's pretty cool Dad" You can buy special "aero wheels" to take maximum advantage of this but they are expensive and run low profile tyres so don't appeal to me. Probably only worth considering if you do a lot of open road mileage.

There may be other stuff which they're not highlighting too. There is a "smoothing" strip down the sides of the windscreen:

P1110643.JPG

and a rather "natty" looking black trim down either side of the rear window which blends into the rear spoiler:

P1110644.JPG

One thing I rather like is the wee accent above the S in the lettering - SKODA - on the tailgate:

P1110645.JPG

I think the Scala will be the last Skoda to feature this from what I read.

Lovely pic, does look like you've parked on the stairs.
Ha Ha, does look slightly like that doesn't it? Built that wee wall myself!
Is it just the pic, or is that sticker not straight? (Sorry Jock)
Yup. you're right. Squint it is! probably a "spotty youth"? As my younger boy spends his whole life messing about with "sticky back plastic" (he's a sign writer, think I've mentioned that before?) I'm going to get him to safely remove it for me.

Regarding that sticker though. I've been thinking about how to "install" a highly visible but tasteful "feature" on the rear of the car which would be a unique identifier in case of the need to dispute a fine caused by my number having been cloned. I'm thinking stuff like speeding and road use like LEZs - a recent feature of life in Edinburgh - paid motorway or tunnel/bridge charges The old Cordoba had a very visible tow bar which was a good "visible feature" for stuff like this.

Ha Ha, does look slightly like that doesn't it? Built that wee wall myself!

Yup. you're right. Squint it is! probably a "spotty youth"? As my younger boy spends his whole life messing about with "sticky back plastic" (he's a sign writer, think I've mentioned that before?) I'm going to get him to safely remove it for me.

Regarding that sticker though. I've been thinking about how to "install" a highly visible but tasteful "feature" on the rear of the car which would be a unique identifier in case of the need to dispute a fine caused by my number having been cloned. I'm thinking stuff like speeding and road use like LEZs - a recent feature of life in Edinburgh - paid motorway or tunnel/bridge charges The old Cordoba had a very visible tow bar which was a good "visible feature" for stuff like this.
I hate squiffy stickers, and numberplates should be central and straight. When I was supervising all car preparation at a large Rover dealer, I had two very keen lads, who ensured that all stickers were straight. And on cars without a rear wiper, central too. For the number plates, they made lots of cardboard templates, that fitted each model, including where screws could be placed, or not. Didn't have to supervise, they took pride in fitting them properly. Sadly rare to see straight plates.

I've got some new plates for both the Panda and Fabia. May have to work hard to get them right, no-one else to blame.

I hate squiffy stickers, and numberplates should be central and straight. When I was supervising all car preparation at a large Rover dealer, I had two very keen lads, who ensured that all stickers were straight. And on cars without a rear wiper, central too. For the number plates, they made lots of cardboard templates, that fitted each model, including where screws could be placed, or not. Didn't have to supervise, they took pride in fitting them properly. Sadly rare to see straight plates.

I've got some new plates for both the Panda and Fabia. May have to work hard to get them right, no-one else to blame.
I totally agree with central & straight number plates, the amount of brand new cars you see with wonky number plates is unbelievable & really winds me up, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to car stuff, like with the few stickers I have on my car I'll measure it lots of times before I actually put them on as I like to make sure things are the exact same measurements either side so it's even & straight, the worst ones to do were the genuine squircle decals as i knew i probably wouldn't find them again so only had one shot at it but thankfully I chose a day where I was on my own with no one to distract me 😂

Back