Is it worth getting rid of the spare tyre?

Currently reading:
Is it worth getting rid of the spare tyre?

The underside of the car is pretty "slippery" with undertrays etc much in evidence:

A bit of a mixed blessing in my view as they tend to restrict access for things like oil changes and repairs However, being under warrant for the next 3 years, that's not so much of a concern to me. By the time the warranty expires I'll be 80 and maybe not "doing" cars any more anyway!
Aye, undertrays can be a bit of a faff, but I think I'd still rather have them in place - just make sure the garage puts them back after carrying out work!

I had a Mazda with useful cut-outs in the undertray for access to essential bits - if you had tiny hands!

Citroen always used to fit full-length undertrays - even my 2CVs had beautifully smooth slippery underbodies, despite the appalling mess going on up top :D

Over many years repairing and servicing cars and going out to breakdowns the ability to get a customer going again by the fitting of the spare wheel was greatly appreciated by them, often a tyre or rim was damaged, meaning even if an aerosol of puncture repair was still functioning on a ten year old car is unlikely, it wouldn't have got them home.
So the thought of waiting for a recovery truck late at night on a dark Country road for many hours is not something I would like to happen to one of my daughters simply because a manufacturer has saved a few pounds in this Country when in other Countries the laws say there must be a usable spare wheel.
Yes my daughters have been shown how to change a wheel!;)

I tried that with my wife, and got a look of "that's the RAC's job!"
Would she feel the same after many hours of waiting for them?
I even taught my second wife back in 1983, she came out to a flat tyre when I was away working and promptly changed it to the applause of the workmen nearby;).
Mind you she was the same one who put the car into Park and ran into the house to answer the phone, leaving two children in car seats, my son released his, climbed into the front and pulled the lever back into neutral and took the neighbours wall down whilst his sister was still strapped in!
Oh! Also another time when we were very hard up, I was out trying to earn £20 for a small job and on returning found a glazier up a ladder replacing a broken window at a cost of £60, something I could have done for the cost of the glass £2. ! It turned out she was trying to get a seagull off the roof and put a stone through the bedroom window.:(

Would she feel the same after many hours of waiting for them?
I even taught my second wife back in 1983, she came out to a flat tyre when I was away working and promptly changed it to the applause of the workmen nearby;).
Mind you she was the same one who put the car into Park and ran into the house to answer the phone, leaving two children in car seats, my son released his, climbed into the front and pulled the lever back into neutral and took the neighbours wall down whilst his sister was still strapped in!
Oh! Also another time when we were very hard up, I was out trying to earn £20 for a small job and on returning found a glazier up a ladder replacing a broken window at a cost of £60, something I could have done for the cost of the glass £2. ! It turned out she was trying to get a seagull off the roof and put a stone through the bedroom window.:(
Another story I think I recounted elsewhere on the forum. When we first returned to Scotland after our years of working "Dawn souf" we lived in a little village on a steep hill. Everybody knew everybody else and often you wouldn't bother locking your front door or car. My oldest boy, then still very young, and his best friend were, unbeknownst to us, playing in his Moskvitch when they managed to release the hand brake! the car ran down the hill for about 2 car lengths and into the back of another neighbour's Austin Maxi. The Moskvitch showed absolutely not a mark but the Maxi spent best part of a week at the coachbuilders. Jim, my neighbour, and I split the bill between us. We made very sure all the cars were locked after that one.

Broken windows? My youngest boy was a bit of a hell raiser when young and would often be out to the wee small hours. On one such occasion he'd lost his house keys so went round the back of the house and started throwing pebbles at my older boy's window. When the pebbles didn't wake him he threw a rock - the broken glass finally got No.1 son out of his bed!

Last edited:
Back