4x41.JPG

Panda (Classic) LVJ the scrap yard 4x4

Introduction

Ok, for those who don't know this is my latest acquisition.

I didn't really expect to win the ebay auction so I didn't view it first.

This will either be amazing or a lesson in how not to buy a car :eek:

Ebay pics :

4x410.JPG
4x49.JPG
4x48.JPG
4x46.JPG
4x45.JPG
4x42.JPG
4x43.JPG
4x41.JPG

Still trying to work out how to collect it without it being silly money, If I can get a car trailer for a day my brother has offered to help with his isuzu pickup.

Open to other offers though as he notoriously changes his mind if he gets a better offer for his time (like the pub being open :rolleyes:).
I haven't been here lately, you bought another one? :eek:

(y)

Yep, still haven't looked it over properly yet, too scared/lazy.

Work's finished and no staff have been kept on (apart from the supervisors cousin and the managers son) so back to being time rich but cash poor :(

Plans are forming in my head which means modding seats so Fizzles seats are mum friendly, selling the mk 3 and getting the 4x4 on the road to go off road.

I'm going to need some help with bluey, apart from being a complete unknown quantity in terms of work that needs doing (apart from engine and predictably doors) I don't know where to start.
It will certainly be a budget resto though. I'll keep it without rear seats (wont need a roof rack :p) and will fit the bargain alfa seats to him.
I'll start with a strip out this week (bit scared of what I'll find) I'll take some piccies and post them later.
If anyone fancies a tinkering/tyre kicking/comparing/tutting/sucking through teeth and shaking head session you are more than welcome :)

If anyone fancies a tinkering/tyre kicking/comparing/tutting/sucking through teeth and shaking head session you are more than welcome :)

I'm up for helping John, if you want me to come and cast my eye over it first then that's absolutely fine - I am also happy to donate some bits from Buff to get LVJ back to brilliance. I might be able to come and have a look this weekend if you are free? Maybe kolza might be able to help aswell? A mini northern Panda meet!

I'm up for helping John, if you want me to come and cast my eye over it first then that's absolutely fine - I am also happy to donate some bits from Buff to get LVJ back to brilliance. I might be able to come and have a look this weekend if you are free? Maybe kolza might be able to help aswell? A mini northern Panda meet!

Fantastic!

I wouldn't know a good bit from a knackered one that will be brillant, thanks.

(y)

John and I have had a purge on LVJ today (with a little help from Lucy!), to get to the bottom of the problems and get a list of work together including parts needed. There are plenty of pictures to come!

LVJ "Lovejoy" has been run for a while with a "suspected head gasket failure" according to the auction. In actual fact she's had no coolant, next to no oil in for ages and also the rocker cover was leaking really badly...

...There was some serious smoke coming from the engine bay as the oil leaked out of the rocker gasket onto the exhaust manifold. The air box was removed and the rocker cover bolts tightened up (several turns!). After new coolant and two litres or so of oil she has been run upto temperature. The engine runs very sweet, no misfires and the choke works spot on. We roughly cleaned around the front of the engine to check for any more leakage, the rocker gasket is still leaking very slightly so this will need replacing when John does the full service. For a FIRE engine that has done over 100k and with what looks like very little attention it runs brilliant, no water leaks and no mayonnaise inside the oil filler or water bottle. We did find a small amount inside the breather pipe which goes from the rocker box to the air box, but as this is flanged it could maybe be expected due to a bit of condensation - any other thoughts on this will be welcome though. We ran the engine until the temperature was at about three quarters up the dial, the fan didn't kick in so the switch will need looking at.

We took out the rear floor and boot cover, as well as the rear internal plastic arch liners and seatbelts to find...

...Nothing that the welder can't fix though :) I am impressed with how solid the car is considering how little it has been looked after. The whole of the inside is pretty much covered in hay and straw and where it has been left to rot away in the corners it will have helped cause the rot that we can see.
John knew about the majority of these areas of corrosion already but not quite to the extent of what we have seen today. A good poke about and clean up and we'll get them blazed up.

Some more pictures of the outside repair work...

More pics and info to follow tomorrow when I get some more time - stay tuned! :)

Had a great day today seeing John and looking forward to helping with the rest of the project (y)

John and I have had a purge on LVJ today (with a little help from Lucy!), to get to the bottom of the problems and get a list of work together including parts needed. There are plenty of pictures to come!

LVJ "Lovejoy" has been run for a while with a "suspected head gasket failure" according to the auction. In actual fact she's had no coolant, next to no oil in for ages and also the rocker cover was leaking really badly...

...There was some serious smoke coming from the engine bay as the oil leaked out of the rocker gasket onto the exhaust manifold. The air box was removed and the rocker cover bolts tightened up (several turns!). After new coolant and two litres or so of oil she has been run upto temperature. The engine runs very sweet, no misfires and the choke works spot on. We roughly cleaned around the front of the engine to check for any more leakage, the rocker gasket is still leaking very slightly so this will need replacing when John does the full service. For a FIRE engine that has done over 100k and with what looks like very little attention it runs brilliant, no water leaks and no mayonnaise inside the oil filler or water bottle. We did find a small amount inside the breather pipe which goes from the rocker box to the air box, but as this is flanged it could maybe be expected due to a bit of condensation - any other thoughts on this will be welcome though. We ran the engine until the temperature was at about three quarters up the dial, the fan didn't kick in so the switch will need looking at.

We took out the rear floor and boot cover, as well as the rear internal plastic arch liners and seatbelts to find...

...Nothing that the welder can't fix though :) I am impressed with how solid the car is considering how little it has been looked after. The whole of the inside is pretty much covered in hay and straw and where it has been left to rot away in the corners it will have helped cause the rot that we can see.
John knew about the majority of these areas of corrosion already but not quite to the extent of what we have seen today. A good poke about and clean up and we'll get them blazed up.

Some more pictures of the outside repair work...

More pics and info to follow tomorrow when I get some more time - stay tuned! :)

Had a great day today seeing John and looking forward to helping with the rest of the project (y)

The mayo in the flame trap is indeed normal :) I realise this looks bad and will be a lot of work and I don't want to be dismissive of that, but it looks better than I was expecting, and looks like the engine will be less work than expected! Well done boys!

Here we have the rest of the update from the weekend's investigating...

The rest of the pictures here are the underside of LVJ. Again for a car of it's age and lack of love it's really not too bad at all - I know it's almost in a better state than mine underneath!

The central cross member which holds the prop shaft cradle will need a new seam front and back...

Looking towards the back at the boot floor and towbar mount, a bit crusty in areas but no cracks or holes here...

The left hand side rear chassis leg where it meets the boot floor has a hole in, this could be seen from above in my previous post...

And again a bit further along the boot floor, needs cutting out and tidying up but fairly easily accessible...

The rear leaf spring mounts don't look too bad - again we will have a proper clean up and make sure...

Both sills have been done at some point in LVJ's lifetime, the driver's side looks like a genuine one. It is quite rough underneath and has been jacked up wrong several times by the looks of it...

Under the driver's door there is a small crack...

And at the front of the sill on the driver's side it is going to need cleaning up and patching...

...I was impressed to see the original wrap-around mudflaps on the front are still present and 95% intact!

The left hand side sill is looking in quite reasonable condition - the front chassis leg base will need investigating before any waxoyl is applied though...

And the fuel tank...

...Not leaking and that seam that looks split is still firmly together. We may have to take it off to double check but I really hope that this part among the majority turns out to be usable.

John has put a list together now of what parts he needs and the work that will need doing but LVJ will see the road again for sure :slayer:

After taking the boot to bits yesterday we took the front passenger seat out in view of having the carpet up - it was at this point that I though we should take her for a spin around John's (private) cul-de-sac. John got sat on the back seat ledge like Hightower off Police academy and I drove round. The passenger wheel bearing was humming a bit and the prop shaft central support rubbers are weak and loose so the prop is rubbing on the exhaust, which is brand new BTW! So these are to replace aswell. The clutch is great, the engine is pokey and very responsive, there is no smoke from the back of any kind or colour - and most important the 4-wheel drive system works! As John said yesterday there is probably an issue with the bulb, dashboard or and electrical connection somewhere.

I am very happy with the day we had an as I have said, impressed with the car! She has a good attitude and wants to live again! :)

That's all from my debriefing for now :D

I haven't much to add to what Andy's said, I'm very grateful and relieved to finally know what's what.

Incredibly impressive diagnosis from a very short drive identifing several faults and solutions in no time at all!

:worship:

Looks like a nice little project. One note of caution, the rocker cover bolts shouldn't be all that tight, not much more than hand tight. A new gasket as you say is the way forward, also oil can leak from the distributor seal, so a skim of instant gasket can help. Have fun :)

Looks like a nice little project. One note of caution, the rocker cover bolts shouldn't be all that tight, not much more than hand tight. A new gasket as you say is the way forward, also oil can leak from the distributor seal, so a skim of instant gasket can help. Have fun :)

Thanks for the info, we will check the cam shaft oil seal and the seal around the distributor next time we do a bit :)

Great to see this. May be able to help with spare prop and bumpers. Not perfect but a step forards, and free!

Great minds think alike and all that! I dug out an old rear bumper of mine from the cellar earlier today that I was going to offer if you wanted it? Small deform in the plastic on one corner but no split and I recon I'll be able to get it out with a heat gun. Also have your front bumper David to do something with?

Back